What is your current favorite Roguelike? [Or all things roguelike]

That’s my approach. While there may be something to be said for trying to master a particular seed I prefer the serendipity that randomness in roguelikes provide so I tend to start with fresh seeds each time.

After playing another random seed and taking it to level 19 despite a pretty slim array of loot, I think I agree. I already kind of dread the early game, and the thought of playing the same maps would make it even more annoying.

I’m keeping one seed in my back pocket just for the amazing sight of a broadsword in plain view at the dungeon entrance.

Just noticed my flair. Thanks, @TomChick. Truthfully, it’s what I’d want on my tombstone.

I ended up beating Brogue with a known easy seed so I could see the lower levels. Neat. I might go back for another game or too, but I’m mostly done.

How is Stone Soup these days? I heard it got bad, but now they’re reverting some things? I’d still like to play it one day.

That’s awesome!!

So. Awesome.

You’re a great guy, @tomchick . A true gentleman. ;)

Now I want to see ‘beat Brogue on a known easy seed’ next to Tim’s name.

Okay folks so I’m on a bit of a roguelike/roguelite run at the moment. About to pick up Unexplored.

After banging my head against Crypt of the Necrodancer on my Vita I’ve decided it’s just too much for me. I’ve got to the Zone 2 boss a couple of times but moving to the rhythms of each floor as well as dealing with the shielded skeletons, wind wizards, gas cloud mushrooms and red dragons is just a square too far. Standing still screws your multiplier and reading the little descriptions of new items when you’re bouncing round them, usually trying to avoid enemies, is a pain in the arse. Glass gear and whips are utter liabilities too. It’s just too much to juggle for me.

Still in the action vein, I’ve been putting more time into Nuclear Throne and, damn, that’s an incredibly satisfying experience. Between it and Teleglitch I think they’ve got crunchy top-down shooting pinned down. Furthest I’ve got so far is… 5-3? And that’s with the purple crystal dude. I tend to play as Melting who can detonate corpses. He’s super fragile but that makes it good practice for avoiding danger.

I installed Dungeons of Dredmor last night after a long time away from it (and I didn’t get very far even then) and wondered what folks’ thoughts on the DLC were? I have Realm of the Diggle God already. Are the other two worth it? I know one’s free but someone somewhere said it was a collection of fan stuff and wasn’t that well balanced? I’m also concerned about the Pocket Dimension adding busywork to item and inventory management and effectively killing forward momentum. Does it fit nicely into the gameplay loop or interrupt it?

I also have Shiren on my Vita which I want to start at some point too.

I don’t know what Shiren “Shiren” is, but for the love of everything, unless it’s the third game, fire that one up!
It will be a nice change of pace from the absorbing murderous sprees of Nuclear Throne…

Ah, oh, it’s the uh, Tower of Dice and the Fortune of Fate, or something! ;-)

Edit: it’s the third game by the looks of things.

Edit edit: nope, Wiki fail. It’s the fifth and latest game.

It is the fifth, and it is the best one. You don’t need any other game ever! (for at least a week)

Thank you, sir!

Ugh, don’t say shit like that.

“TimJames doesn’t want to be known as the guy that beat Brogue on a known easy seed” is a much better title, anyway. :)

FTFY!

I’ll get a title when I 1CC Crimzon Clover sometime next year. I’m looking forward to that challenge.

(on Novice?)

Already done, I think. Highly recommended even for casual shmup fans.

I also want to beat ADOM one day. Other than that, no particular challenges I want to do.

I’d love to beat any roguelike, but I don’t think I ultimately have the patience.

Spending some time in Qud at the moment. Took some online advice and rolled a big dumb true kin to just hit things with and to do some farming before venturing off to the first quest First time I have completed that quest and got a character beyond level 4 or so.

The only real achievement is beating original Rogue. Everything else is just puffery.

Mild bit of dramarama from the guy developing Ultima Ratio Regum:

http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2017/06/24/burnout-and-the-future/

Oh well. I hope he succeeds in balancing everything out as I’d love to see the big update he’s working on. I guess one of the perils of following unfinished solo indie projects is you end up reading blog posts about why the guy is unable to finish it (see: Limit Theory).