What kind of game is Dirt 5? Glad you asked!

Title What kind of game is Dirt 5? Glad you asked!
Author Tom Chick
Posted in Game reviews
When November 30, 2020

Dirt 5 is the kind of game where your award after a race is paid in Dirt Dollars.  Not US dollars, not Euros, not krugerrands, not bearer bonds, but Dirt Dollars..

Read the full article

So like a walking simulator but in a race car? :D

There’s good news if you need to barrel through the game as fast as you can!

Kick start your career in the DIRT Off-Road Series with the gameplay booster pack - increasing your XP and currency gains permanently!

I’ll just repeat that Dirt 4 is currently $1. I don’t know how it relates to Dirt 5. Seems like it should be related somehow. It’s not like it’s the Dirt X Series X.

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/dirt-4

This line made me laugh out loud.

How far the Codies have fallen.

Surprised to see two stars after reading that. Apparently, Tom has extra dirt dollars to divest himself of.

Well, this does answer the question I posted in the Dirt 5 thread. Will focus on Dirt 4 or one of the Rallies if I want some Dirt action.

Tom’s recent reviews keep sending me back to earlier entries in various game franchises. My wallet is thankful.

Chuckle. So true, isn’t it? Assassin’s Creed, Watch Dogs, and now Dirt.

What kind of game is Dirt 5? One of the few next generation console games that supports 120 frames per second graphics modes. That’s… basically its main selling point and feature.

Well, it is a pretty game. And you can’t really blame a fella for sometimes wanting to scud effortlessly through a pretty game.

-Tom

In fairness they didn’t develop it themselves. But that’s ALSO the problem.

It was made by an internal team mostly made up of former Evolution devs.

I’ve only dipped my toes into Dirt 5, but the resistive trigger use on PS5 is exceptional!

Welp, back to Bloody Rally Show for me. ;)

“mien”, not “mein”.

Hello mien, ciao mein.

Dirt 5 is the kind of game where you fill your nitrous by doing stunts, except there are no stunts and there is no nitrous.

I don’t get this line!

Also, as I mentioned in the Dirt 5 thread: I never thought I’d want Ken Block back being my bro.

I believe he is saying that the game feels like the sort of car/ski/skateboard/etc game where you chain together moves to score points and get nitrous (or Some other bonus), without actually having any of that, meaning it is, among other things, very arcadey in nature. It doesn’t embrace either the Arcade aspect or the roots of the series, which is in simulation.

It’s strange they spent so much on VO talent for such a shallow, if even existent, single player “campaign”. Although maybe I just answered my own comment at the same time.

I was a big fan of Colin McRae Rally 2.0 and really really really hated the presentation and friendly bro-tude of DiRT 1+ 2’s narrator. However, the in-race banter between the drivers (RIP David Mirra) and Travis Pastrana etc narration grew on me so I eventually liked it.

I’m not sure if I could take this new uh, innovation.

This review reads like the opposite of that video review of Hero Quest.