What, no Fall 2016 Television Preview Thread?!

I just finished watching the rest of the season on Hulu. Excellent show. And I loved how they ended it too. It’s a perfect self-contained story, and yet, they had an ending that also set up Season 2, in case they get renewed.

But even if they don’t get renewed, I would recommend watching the show. It’s not always perfect, but it’s got heart, and it always has some details that hook me into caring about the characters, even if we only see those characters for a short time during that episode.

Timeless was really good for network TV. It had just the right mix of ongoing plot, action, light humor and interesting weekly stories (I actually learned a couple of things from watching!) that it became one of my favorite fall shows. While the ratings were only so-so, NBC owns half the show (Sony owns the other half), and it was a money maker for them, so rumor has it they’re considering a renewal with a Friday night at 8:00PM time slot to make it more accessible for family viewing. They also kind of need something for Fridays next fall with Grimm ending it’s run this season.

Still enjoying APB as well. I like the characters in this show, and the weekly tech reveal is fun too. I’m not as high on 24 : Legacy though. While the main character is interesting, and the CTU team keeps up the original 24 vibe, the plot and the way everything ties together just isn’t really doing it for me.

Taken on the other hand, I really enjoyed the premiere episode. Looking forward to seeing what happens each week with various missions. Same thing with Blacklist : Redemption. Tom Keen seemed superfluous in the last season or so of Blacklist, but this show plays directly to his strengths. Bringing back Matias Solomon and making them work together was a great touch, as he is such a great character. It helps too that I could watch Famke Janssen read the phone book and be thoroughly enchanted.

I gave Powerless a couple of more episodes. It still sucks, badly. I can’t believe someone at the network actually greenlit the show. Yikes.

Blacklist Redemption is good! Also I am glad Liz isn’t involved other than the first episode.

Powreless continues to be horrible, and I am sure it will be canceled.

Time After Time is pretty enjoyable. Then again I love H.G. Wells and Jack the Ripper stuff, so I am a bit biased. Not sure if they will give it a 2nd season looking at the less than great ratings its getting.

Taken continues to be very entertaining. Were the people we saw at the end of this episode someone who was supposed to be familiar to us? Or is it someone new?

The woman in the car at the end is the “new neighbor” of Asha, Brian’s sister’s ex-roommate and now love interest. Her and the people with her seem to be working towards locating and rescuing the crime boss leader guy Brian captured in the first episode, the one he has imprisoned on the black site ship now. I suspect next episode things will not go well for Asha and Brian.

Ah cool. Thanks @SlainteMhath. Just the way they showed those two people, I figured I was supposed to recognize at least one of them. It makes sense now.

Pitch officially canceled…darn, I actually enjoyed it.

Same. I held out a tiny flicker of hope until I caught word that staff were getting other job offers. Ah, well; it’s not bad as a one-off season, but still left plenty unresolved.

Ah man.

Anyone still watching Designated Survivor , I cleaned up the 3 episodes on my DVR, I am not sure I am gonna stick with it anymore. Its just moving too slowly. It would have been better as a condensed 13 episode season.

Been watching it. I really liked it for quite a few episodes, but it’s starting to fray at the seams a bit. I believe there’s only one more episode this season, though.

So it seems like most of the mystery has been revealed now. We are just waiting to find out who the inside person in the White House is, but we know the person behind it all. Well, I think we do.

I really wonder what the plan is for sustaining the series? It was set up more like a mini-series than a standard series that might run for several seasons.

Well put, and agreed. Once that’s resolved, it doesn’t really seem to have the notion to go all “West Wing” and get into full-on governance and character development. That’s not saying it can’t, just that it would surprise me if they could properly pull it off.

I kind of lost interest about midway through. There was just too much coincidental stupidity going on. It wasnt bad but the plot writing could have been better. I will probably finish it over the summer when there is less on to watch.

Yeah, they can’t drag out the mystery of conspiracy too long. We already know the chief instigator on the outside behind it. The only big reveal left as far as I can tell is who was the inside person in the White House? Are they going to spend most of season 2 with that as the mystery? I will bail on it if that’s the case.

And it’s not like you can introduce a new conspiracy each season.

I’ll watch the finale this week, but I’m probably one and done with this. It was interesting but it’s losing steam.

I’m still enjoying it, but mainly for the political stuff and not so much the crazy conspiracy stuff anymore. You guys are spot on about that part of it having gone a little off the rails, and also about how they really can’t sustain that much beyond the next episode (season finale) without really straining belief. The only way I can see it happening is if they tie in a foreign power, but that spawns a whole separate series of events that would be less West Wing and more 24.

I’ve really enjoyed the sort of insider’s perspective on the White House and how government works (albeit simplified) with the added twist of the total replacement of everyone all at once. It’s also been a very relaxing and cathartic show to watch given our current real life political situation. Every week I look at my wife and say “Why can’t Kiefer Sutherland be our actual President?!” I know it’s all Hollywood BS, but the idea of an Independent President more concerned with getting things done and helping the American people than with playing party politics is so damn appealing. It’s also crazy how they had to have written and filmed a good portion of this show long before Trump won the election, and yet every episode seems to speak directly to the fucked up real life events of the week or two previous…uncanny!

Ha ha – I say the same thing. At least he can act Presidential. That’s already one up on Trump.

I had no idea the Season was still going, honestly. Back in the March episode when the bad guy we knew about was killed in that cemetery, I thought that episode was the season finale. I guess it kept going after that? That’s good to hear I guess. It’s not a great show, but I’m always curious as to what’s coming next. It appeals to the political junkie in me.

Yes, it felt like one episode away from a finale. Instead I think it was four episodes away.

My guess is that while it appears they’ve identified the head of the conspiracy, we’ll discover in the finale that the conspiracy (gasp!) goes deeper into all branches of the government and the military.

My wife likes to watch Hawaii Five-O. The last episode I was watching with her for a bit and they had the Five-O team uncovering some kind of major conspiracy with links back to the federal government. We were joking about the possibility of a Hawaii Five-O / Designated Survivor crossover next season. =)

Timeless has been canceled. BOO!