What the.... Hellgate: London returns

As a F2P MMO.

http://www.verticalwire.com/releases/2427--i-hellgate-i-returns-with-closed-beta-this-june

Hmm. I thought the single player game was all right, actually. Might have to check this out.

Count me as one of the weirdos who thought Hellgate was decent, if not good. A Morrissey NPC dishing out Smiths-themed quests? Yes, please.

I liked it too. It died out in the late game when you had your weapons upgraded so much that nothing you picked up could compare but up until then I had a lot of fun. I’ll probably give this a shot when it launches.

It was definitely a decent game. Flagship just managed to fuck up everything about it.

Yeah, that.

Though I don’t know if I would call it decent, exactly. It had some interesting aspirations and mechanics, for sho.

Yeah I’m one of those weirdo’s also.

Even though Flagship screwed up the whole MMO side of it.

Still playing single-player with the Hellgate Revival fan patch.

Loved it when I tried it at E3-2006, but when I played it after it came out I felt it was nearly unplayable due to the lag.

So people who paid the lifetime sub for Hellgate, do they get anything in this new game?

I was taking a gaming break when it came out, so I totally missed it, but I love games with random levels, so I just snagged it on Amazon for $5 to play the SP portion.

SYNTAX ERROR ON LINE 1

I played a ton of HG:L, and make no apologies.

I was! I basically didn’t play games between mid 2006 and early 2008! :P

Crazy talk. The last time I didn’t play video games I was 7 and my Dad hadn’t yet walked into the house with the Colecovision.

I’ll never return to those dark days! :)

It was honestly very therapeutic, as I needed the break to focus on my actual therapy.

Anyway, enough about that. Did this game ever live up to its potential? That “fun” patch looks neat.

hahahah

Yeah, you get to play it for free now.

Seriously, I doubt Hanbit or the partners involved feel they owe anything to people who paid Flagship for a lifetime sub. Count that as an expensive lesson and move on.

Fascinating. Might give this a look just for the hell(gate) of it.

Was the premium subscription content (Stonehenge?) ever made available for single players?

Hellgate was indeed a very good actionRPG that was botched by Flagship’s greedy/inept subscription-based multiplayer plan.

Count me in as another person who really liked it. I think they had some really neat ideas but they just executed it poorly. I will be checking this out though and hope to get into the beta.