What the.... Hellgate: London returns

That’s to teach you a lesson.

I tried to get it to work last month and their registration server failed to send an activation code to my email and then I couldn’t log in to request another activation code with an unactivated account. I figured it was a sign.

So is this out of beta yet?

Sounds like they really learned the lesson from the previous release of the game. Good job!

eBay.

Found out my problem. Basically running the game in windows 7 64 bit and 16 megs of ram is impossible. It is too slow and laggy. A few guys on the forums figured out a work around by hex editing the actual exe but that will only work until the next update. Compatibly mode doesn’t fix anything.

The beginning tutorial is weird to me. Every time I want to do something another window pops up that freezes me in my tracks until I hit the alt/mouse combo. So then I’m going to shoot that zombie and three or more things pop up to stop me. I understand that a tutorial is necessary, but I can’t help wondering if it could have been done differently.

Amazon has it available from one of their partners. Rather surprising how much it’s selling for. Looks like most of the legit sellers are selling it for around $40.

So played a bit of this just now. Game overall feels very solid - I just fear what is going to be hid behind a paywall. Inventory is already way too tight and it appears that identifying items may have some number of limited uses.

Does anyone know if a friend and I get the original is there any way for us to play together or have all the connection servers been taken off line?

As far as I understand, Multiplayer was only through servers hosted by the developers, so you can’t play the original anymore…

although, there are some pretty cool mods for the original game - you might want to check out those and see if any hosts games

Back again!

Sweet!

Alright, premium support items!

It’s interesting to think about this game now, looking back. At the time, I didn’t find it very satisfying. I thought their gameplay as a first person shooter wasn’t as satisfying as most FPS games, and as an ARPG, it wasn’t as satisfying as a Diablo.

Looking back, this kind of mix was done much better in Borderlands, which had good shooting, and fun abilities as part of the ARPG mixture. Fallout 3 and 4 also had a good mixture with more emphasis on RPG, less on the action in Fallout 3, and then slightly more on the action in Fallout 4. I prefer all 3 of those games to Hellgate for sure.

The cinematics for this game were excellent though, whether or not the gameplay rose to the same level. I’d definitely try this out again.

Borderlands is a shooter first. Fallouts aren’t ARPGs.

I always thought the gameplay worked great. It wasn’t a shooter, and really didn’t attempt to be, except for the one class, marksman I think it was. HG:L translated ARPG mechanics really well to a first-person perspective, in a way that has not been done since.

HG:L was hobbled by its monetization strategy and its lead’s ambition. It coulda been somebody.

Yeah, Borderlands completely fell flat for me. I loved Hellgate London, and I still have a bunch of friends pining for someone to recapture what it had.

Hmmm, marksman must have been the only class I tried then. I didn’t know the other classes weren’t that way.

Yeah, that’s how they marketed the game originally. The marksman played like a shooter, and the other five classes didn’t. Two melee classes, DPS and tank, two ranged classes of which the other was a pet class, and two wizards, a pet class and a glass cannon.

If they ever make a console version I would download it.

* repeats everything that has been said of the original *