What to play after Witcher 3?

Witcher 2?

I’m still not recovered yet from witcher 3 being over. Prey was completely different and not emotionally satisfying, but was at was able to hold my attention. Them’s big shoes to fill.

I am hoping Vampyr out this spring will be up to the challenge, I recall reading every NPC will be unique and killing any of them will affect the story.

If you haven’t played Witcher 1/2 then you should do those. Also, read the book saga.

If you did all that then in 9 days Kingdom Come you know…comes, it will be also heavily storydriven but more freeform as far as open world RPGs go.

It is all downhill after you finished Witcher 3, there will not be anything like it any time soon. Just accept this and move on, no need to chase another (high).

And this is from someone who barely got thru witcher 1 and cbf with witcher 2.

I’d disagree with suggesting the first two. Witcher 2 will come off as probably good but not great after experiencing 3 first I’d suspect, but the first is pretty different and somewhat clunky by comparison down to the odd control and combat.

I’m facing the same issue on the same platform … and I’m thinking Skyrim.

I am actually playing skyrim again legendary difficulty not modded. Whew that’s hard. Does make you work though

I love this thread. The Witcher 3 puts people into an existential crisis.

Ugh. I tried that. I hadn’t played Skyrim at all, but it was a HUGE let down for me after having heard so much good about it. I didn’t like the controls or the graphics or the characters, it just felt really outdated for me and … I don’t know. Empty somehow.

Yay I’m also reeaaallly rooting for this game!

OK, so I’ve heard so much good about Prey now but I need to know - HOW scary is it? I just watched the trailer and it made me somewhat nauseous. I’m really NOT good with jump scares and enemies that run kind of frantically against you (AKA Zombies and NO I haven’t worked up the nerve to play Last of us yet).

Also - I will still say the only two games that filled the void after Witcher 3 for some time for me was Dragon Age: Inquisition and Mass Effect (all 4 games - but I guess most people played the trilogy a long time ago).

I would suggest a nice actiony palate cleanser. Less story more boom!

If you still want some quests and RPG mechanics then maybe Grim Dawn with some Warframe thrown in.

Play for one week then jump back to the story rich games.

I think I played What Remains of Edith Finch after finishing Witcher. It was a nice break and kind of sad as well. It’s only a couple of hours so you can get back into the open world-saddle quickly after =)

I encountered precisely one cheap jump scare during my playthrough. There were a few other times that enemies startled me, but you’re given a tool very early on that basically solves it.

I echo @espressojim in that the story itself was clearly intended to evoke emotions but it totally fell flat. That said, it was a thoroughly excellent game.

I’m not big on jump scares and I wasn’t bothered by Prey. You can get surprised by the enemy that changes form.

The Last of Us was soooo good. I hope you can muster up the courage to play it. In my top 1- games of all time for sure.

@meeper @robc04

Huh, maybe I’ll give Prey a chance sometime soon. Got interested in it after reading so much good about it in the GOTY-thread.
And yeah, I have Last of Us sitting, so I WILL play it. This spring.

I’m sorry to learn Skyrim was a letdown. It’s not the first time I’ve heard that about the PS4 version. I guess I’ll give it a pass.

I find myself wishing Bethesda would “remaster” (if that is the word) Morrowind for modern systems. That’s the kind of experience I’m seeking. (I’m aware of the Open Morrowind project, but I’m not sure how easy it would be to get it running on my Mac.)

Just finished Blood & Wine today, so found this thread Googling for what to play next ;)

I came to the Witcher 3 to fill the void after finishing Horizon Zero Dawn… imo they are quite similar in many aspects, though HZD is regrettably shorter in length.

Having now played & completed W3 it’s obvious to me that HZD owes some of its success to W3 for much of its mechanics & gameplay, though HZD benefits from new IP with a fresher premise, and advances in graphics & animation in the couple of years between each title.

Equivalent quality of story too, though W3 is a little more consistent in its voice acting… I felt some early NPC interactions in HZD were sub-par with the rest of the presentation, but it improves throughout the game & shines in the The Frozen Wilds DLC.

@Appleseed Have you decided what to play next? Let us know when you get into something and how it feels :)

Try AC Origins - some of the Roman areas of Egypt feel just like Blood and Wine.

For another deep Euro RPG, Kingdom Come would be the one, I imagine.

@jpinard TBH I think I’ll take a break from Gaming now until Detroit: Become Human, The Last of Us & Red Dead Redemption sequels & latest Tomb Raider instalments purportedly due later in the year. Hopefully there’ll be a few notable “walking sims” and other indie experiences in the interim too.

If you haven’t played it and can live without the RPG element, I’d recommend trying Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice for a similar combat action & unique (albeit unsettling) narrative experience.

@Alistair I abandoned ACO after an hour for W3- it looked & felt comparatively cheap after completing HZD. I have read that it improves somewhat from around the 4th hour, so might try persevering with it more now…