What were you thinking?! - A retail employee's rant

WARNING: Before you read any further, this was posted mainly to vent steam, so don’t post negative critisism, I’m only looking to cool off.

Now I know all of you out there who work in some kind of retail store, I know you hear me - a customer comes in asking a stupid question and bitches when you can’t figure out what the heck they want. And the first thing that goes through your mind is, "What were they thinking? Now those of you who are asking, “What is a stupid customer exactly?” I’ll show you some examples.

-A customer comes in, and asks, “I’m looking for a thinggy that makes my tv more gooder.” And when you ask them what exactly is being made “more gooder” (Signal strength, picture quality, sound quality) they respond, "Aren’t you supposed to know that?

-A customer wants to return a RC car that was bought recently, claiming it doesn’t work. Upon looking at the car, you notice it was smashed in two by some violent force.

-A customer asks about computer networking equipment, and after asking every question under the sun , and making you look up every price in every store, they say, “Nah, I don’t want to buy one, I was just curious. <customer chuckles> Actually I don’t even OWN a computer.”

-A customer comes in, and after asking if they need any help, they say, “I don’t need help from someone as young as you.” decide to buy a cable. They come in the next day, with the cable and a computer mouse, and ask, “I just bought this mouse 2 days ago, is this the right cable for it?” After looking at the box, you realize the mouse is a wireless one.

Now to any other person, this would seem funny. But when this happens six or seven times a day, it starts to get annoying. Especially when they chew your head off for spending so much time trying to explain it to them. But when some one comes in that just happens to be an honest to goodness customer who just has a quick question, sorry, but we’re just not in the mood.

Now the bad thing is, you can’t, under ANY circumstances, yell or tell off a customer. So every time they say, ask, or do something stupid, you have to harbor all thoughts of beating them in the head with their own skull, put on a cheesy smile, and try to stick through it. Days like this are even worse when you’re like me, workin 40 hour weeks while being a full-time college student. And its times like that when you just have to ask, “What were they thinking?!”

So when you meet an unruly sales associate, just remember - they just might be having one of those days.

I’ve got plenty of other incedents, all of which I’ve personally experienced, but I’m all vented out now, so I won’t bitch anymore.

The only salvation of tech support is not having to see people face to face.

I know exactly the chuckle you mean. It’s the same chuckle I hear right before people say “I’m kind of stupid when it comes to compooters,” as though I’m supposed to think it’s funny. Every time I hear that chuckle, I want to punch them in the face.

I don’t envy you, but I respect your restraint.

What is the IQ of the average store customer ?

Thank god, some understands me. I JUST had a customer (I’m browsing on our P.O.S. (Yes, its a p.o.s., but it really means “point of sales”) terminals) that came in, bought telephone wire, and came back 10 minutes later, and returned it, without even opening it! Who freakin’ randomly buys cord, and then returns it?! I can understand if it was the wrong type, but she said, “nah, i just don’t want it” :evil:

I wasn’t even the poor retail clerk dealing with this:

I was returning something to the hardware store. The guy in front of me was returning an electric screwdriver. The clerk asked him what was wrong with it.

He takes the screwdriver out of the box and presses the power button. “Look, it turns the wrong way,” not noticing the prominently labeled reverse switch.

-28.65454% Give or take, and then there’s the anomalous smart one that remember’s their own name.

Ya see? It’s not our fault we’re annoyed…

Whenever I feel like ranting about retail, I just realize the Gord did it first and he did it so much better.

The Gord

Why do you make me hate you?

Ah yes, Acts of Gord, one of the funniest sites around. I’ve not visited it in a while, thanks for reminding me of it.

Ah yes, Acts of Gord, one of the funniest sites around. I’ve not visited it in a while, thanks for reminding me of it.[/quote]

I have just read some of the site, he speaks the truth!!!
His tales are true! I know his suffering :cry:

“More gooder” has to be some sort of record.

A customer comes in, and asks, “I’m looking for a thinggy that makes my tv more gooder.” And when you ask them what exactly is being made “more gooder” (Signal strength, picture quality, sound quality) they respond, "Aren’t you supposed to know that?

In the future when this happens you ought to grab the most expensive item within your reach, look him straight in the eye, and then promise him it will make his TV more gooder.

Don’t forget to wish the customer a nice day!

I’ve tried, it brings more problems. They call back when they get home and ask how it works. One of the many great evils of retail is trying to help the customer over the phone. It cannot be done, many a man has gone down trying - it cannot be done. Then they try to bribe you to come to their house and hook it up for them. They don’t realize that there is no insurance for them nor you if something gets damaged, and no matter how hard they say they won’t sue, it simple isn’t worth my time.

When I sold software I remember spending a few mornings on the phone with a 12 year old helping him get Wing Commander III working in DOS.

Why me? I don’t know. I do not understand why I didn’t tell him to call Origin tech support.

If they call in after the sale, you tell them if they really want to fix it they have to get up on the roof and install whatever you just sold them. It’s all in the delivery!

Then they get pissed, and yell, and then return it. Return paper work, another great evil. Oh and xpav, you helped, because there is good in all of us retailers. Be proud man, be proud. And as far as “more gooder” kudos for that go to Balut…

Well, that’s settled then. Quick, someone start the “people in retail suck” thread.

Man, you just don’t get it do you? :wink:

Man, you just don’t get it do you? :wink:[/quote]

He never does. But his rants are occasionally funny.