What's the best mystery series (that I can watch right now)?

Cheers for the head’s up, but no, my local library doesn’t have any kind of video streaming membership. (To my shame, I only joined my local library a year or so ago, when I found out it gave free access to digital copies of The Economist, Edge, Viz, etc. But we only have a small selection of ebooks / audiobooks available, and no video.)

We were on Britbox, but we’ve now switched to Acorn due to Brokenwood Mysteries and now Foyle’s War. Liking it quite a bit.

We feel lucky Midsomer Murders is on both for the time being.

Man, Episode 3 of Foyle’s War was super depressing. Why did I start watching this show again?

Because it’s amazing and Michael Kitchen and Honeysuckle Weeks are fucking treasures.

Are those really names of actors on the show? Michael Kitchen and Honeysuckle Weeks? Are you being serious right now?

I would never lie about Foyle’s War.

Well, I’m not sure how much more I can take of little kids being blown up and bigoted assholes killing immigrants.

Careful, Rock…

The next ep is lighter, I think.

There’s a war on dude. There are gonna be casualties.

Michael Kitchen was in Out of Africa and Goldeneye.

I don’t know if you can handle Weeks’s full given name: Honeysuckle Hero Susan Weeks. I loved the character of Samantha Stewart, and I always thought Weeks had the perfect look for wearing a WAC uniform.

All present and correct, sir.

Her sisters name is Perdita Rose Annunziata Weeks, also an actress.Their parents are amazing namegivers!

Heh, their brother, businessman and former actor Rollo Percival Loring Weeks, would probably agree.

I’m guessing these are her parents

Don’t mean to bitch or anything but would you guys consider starting a Foyles War topic. I keep expecting new mystery series to check out but instead we have a constant flow of Foyles War here. No big deal, just asking.

She’s quite good on the new Magnum PI.

I’m fine with that. Who wants to start it? Someone here is the biggest FW fan.

@KristiGaines already went back in time and did so.

Foyle’s War

Morse is what got my wife into British mystery shows when she spent 6 months in England in the 90s. They did an amazing job with the Morse and Lewis and (our favorite) Max. Looks like it is on Britbox, not Acorn. I would guess you could enjoy Inspector Lewis without having watched Morse - but damn, it’s leaving Prime literally tonight. Laurence Fox is really excellent as Lewis’ Sargent.

Other great ones:

Rebecka Martinsson - Acorn, subtitles, outstanding. Watch this.
Vera - scattered across both Acorn and Britbox, but mostly Acorn I think. The similarities between Vera and Columbo are probably not an accident.
Rebus - Acorn
Jack Taylor - Acorn
George Gently - I think it’s on Acorn. Gently is unabashedly anachronistic in his social outlook (basically a highly tolerant guy who will beat the crap out of people who deserve it), and it works really well against the backdrop as the series moves through the 60s.

The Hour is not a “Detective X” mystery, but its good and has a lot of mystery elements. Have to watch the whole series rather than episodes. Looks like you can buy all of series 1 on Prime for $1 right now.