What's Your Perception of the PlayStation 3?

When I use Quick Links -> Today’s Posts, I don’t have to go through many
pages before I find interesting unread posts :)

Expensive, no games I want yet = somewhat negative. It’s saved from very negative by
[ol][li]PS2 had a lot of games I liked, not so much on the XBox360 so far (the competition), []HDTV support (has value for me), []backwards compatibility with the PS2[/ol]
[/li]
Still, it was a near thing; I’m more or less waffling between somewhat and very negative.

Somewhat negative. It seems like a neat piece of hardware. Too bad it was released what seems to be about 6 months too early. Couple the glitches with the general “you’re out bitches, shut up and buy what we say” attitude from Sony has really turned me off the system. Pass.

Negative. I’ll buy one when there are 4-5 games I must have and can’t get anywwhere else. Oh, and when the price is more than half what it is now.

You’re in luck! The price is currently more than half of what it is now.

Very negative. This is the only next-gen console that I don’t personally see any reason to buy, and Sony seems to do its damnest to generate negative PR. I’ll reconsider in five years.

Neutral. Mostly because I own a 360. Between the Wii and the PS3, I leaned towards the Wii because it was different enough to stand out from the 360 and the PS3.

I’m hoping that the predictions of the PS3 overtaking the 360 and Wii come true because that means that there will be some really good games available for the system.

Well, neutral. I really don’t care. In good or in bad. Never went crazy for the PlayStation brand, and never cared for MGSs, Gran Turismos, and Final Fantasies. It will probably win the next gen wars despite the current bad mouthing and Sony’s problems, but I don’t care, and I will probably never own one, just like I never owned any Playstation before. Just not my gaming universe, although I would love to see things like Okami or Shadow of the Colossus coming to another console, since I won’t buy a PS2 just to play these.

WISE FROM YO GWAVE

I just got a nice chunk of change that I can spend on sweet, sweet gaming. Now that HDDVD is gone, I’m strongly considering a PS3. I already have a 360 and I am a slave to achievements, so any cross-platform games will go to it. Are there enough exclusives to make the PS3 worth it yet? And which PS3 should I get? PS2 compatibility is nice but not crucial, what other factors are there? I’m perfectly capable of slapping a new hard drive in whichever one I get.

The other option is a PSP, because I have some serious lust for Patapon and some of the other big QT3 PSP flavors of the week (Monster Hunter).

do you know how many ps3 threads you skipped over to find this one? that answer the questions you have?

go back 1 page in the forums.

This is the most recent thread on this topic, which seems to address all your questions, except the one about whether or not there are enough exclusives yet to make the PS3 worth it. I think that answer varies for each person.

For me personally, when I get a PS3, I want to check out Uncharted, and quite a few PSN games and demos. If the Folklore demo calls to me, for example, then I’ll add Folklore to the list.

Everything else is addressed in the other thread.

Thanks

although it would be interesting to see if people’s opinion changed since over a year ago… where’s the new poll :)

I voted on this poll before I realized I was corrupting historical data with my current perception of the PS3. Jake Plane talked about being interested in the “magnitude in swing.” Did he ever post a followup poll?

My perception has improved some, but I still don’t see much reason to buy one.

I don’t like how loud the PS3 drive is. And how it sometimes damages discs. And the overall reliability of the unit seems shaky.

Oh wait.

Seriously, it needed a bigger, better software library and it needed a price drop. Both have happened/are happening, along with slowly improving UI/Firmware/Network features, and rumble is coming back. 2008 will be a nice year.