When are? you getting the H1N1 flu vaccine?

I heard it was people in their 60s were likely exposed to a similar flu strain. Anyone under that should get two shots (if you plan to get any, that is).

As a jaded cynical asshole, I love Maher and his show but I mute him when he starts going off on vaccines and milk.

I agree about cow’s milk, but I’d like to punch him about vaccines.

H.

For your risk group (healthy, non-pregnant adult with no kids), perhaps that’s fine. Anecdotal evidence, but my wife is a pediatric ICU RN at largest children’s hospital in the mountain region, and it has been overflowing the unit with H1N1 cases, at rates far higher than what would occur during a typical flu season. She thought it was mostly hype too, but the past few weeks have dispelled that notion. Is it killing most of these kids? No, but being on an oscillator in an ICU for a week is not something I would prefer over getting a shot.

Should it have been labeled some kind of pandemic killer flu? Probably not, though the fatality rates for those in high-risk groups is higher than the yearly flu. If you are at all in a high-risk group or interact a lot with people in high-risk groups, consider getting the vaccine.

Low end is 30k dead, high end right now is 90k. But once it gets to a certain size, there’s always the possibility of it surprising folks with infectivity rates. If it goes according to earlier concerns about infection rate, the deaths could balloon quickly, using the same mortality as for seasonal flu.

Maybe I’m chicken little, but vaccinations help everyone, not just you.

H.

I asked about this while getting the regular flu shot yesterday, there’s no need for anyone over the age of 10 to get two shots. One does the trick.

H.

That was me, I was looking for the “it’s just the flu; stop freaking out about it” answer. I’m all for vaccinating for stuff like polio, hepatitis and tetanus, but as far as I’m concerned the annual flu paranoia is nothing but a marketing ploy by the drug companies. It’s the flu, not ebola.

Sigh. It’s not paranoia when 40,000 people die from it every year. If you could get a shot that meant you couldn’t be killed in a car accident, would you? Same yearly kill rate. How about protecting a child from drowning? Same kill rate. How about a shot that made you bulletproof? The flu kills 3x as many people as guns each year (discounting suicides) or 1.5 times as many total.

So yeah, encourage everyone not to get flu shots. It’s all a marketing scam.

H.

Get the flu shot. Stop being so paranoid (or such babies). Get a shot. Don’t get the flu. Don’t pass the flu on to other people who are more vulnerable to it. Don’t kill kids and pregnant women. Let’s all vote in favor of not killing kids.

If I were offered a shot that might protect me from bullets for a year, but might do nothing, and might also give me shot-in-the-leg-like symptoms, and would make it more likely that I would die if I get shot when I’m old, I’d say that’s really straining an analogy.

When I’m 80 I’ll get flu shots. Right now I’d rather get the flu.

What about the people around you that would rather not get the flu? You’re contagious at least a day before you feel sick, and about a week after.

The last time I got the flu, I got double pneumonia and pulled a bunch of muscles and broke a rib coughing. I’d really like to avoid that. Thankfully, the people around me are sensitive to the fact that my immune system is a steaming pile of shit and they get their shots.

Sounds like those guys should go get a flu shot.

I got one, but not everyone can due to money, availability, allergies, etc.

I won’t get it, and I don’t get the regular flu shot either. I’m young and relatively healthy; there are never enough vaccines to go around, and they should go to the people who actually really need them: babies, old people, and people who are immunocompromised, i.e. people for whom the flu presents a serious risk of death, rather than a moderate-high risk of inconvenience.

Did you not read Jose’s post, extar? If you don’t get the flu shot, you’re a child murderer.

Exactly. Telling me to get a shot so you don’t get sick is like telling everyone else not to eat sushi because you’re allergic to seafood. Take your own precautions. Vaccinating healthy people to protect the vulnerable is at best a case of diminishing returns, and more likely a wasted effort.

Oh, you’re that kind. The flu shot cannot make you sick, period. The nasal spray has a very low possibility, but the shot cannot. You may feel a bit off while your immune system ramps up, but it is impossible to get the flu from the shot.

And what Jose said is accurate. The more people immunized, the better for everyone. That’s why polio can’t get a toehold in the US, enough folks are immunized that it protects the idiots. Once you get a certain percentage of people immunized, the rest are protected from contracting illnesses simply because they won’t encounter them. You shed virus for several days after symptoms cease (in the case of h1n1, up to 12 days) so you’re going to be responsible when you get the flu and avoid human contact for 12 days, right?

H.

I’ve been sick once in the last four years. I have no fear of H1N1.

No.

You may feel a bit off while your immune system ramps up

That’s what I’m talking about.

That’s why polio can’t get a toehold in the US, enough folks are immunized that it protects the idiots. Once you get a certain percentage of people immunized, the rest are protected from contracting illnesses simply because they won’t encounter them.

If there were any chance of irradicating the flu, I’d be all over that. At best a flu shot protects you for a year, but quite often it’s useless. I haven’t had a flu shot ever, and I’ve only gotten the flu a couple of times. So you go ahead and freak out, I’m going to stick with washing my hands and remaining calm. And when neither of us gets the flu, we can both feel smug.

Yes, I’m freaking out. Look at me freak. Woo, woo, woo.

That aside, you’re neatly dodging the question. Will you sequester yourself away for a couple of weeks if you get the flu, so that you don’t spread it to others without your particular view?

H.