When are? you getting the H1N1 flu vaccine?

Why is everyone so worried about the flu now? When I was younger no one lined up for flu shots. You’d think the flu was like fucking ebola the way some people freak out about getting the shots.

I personally think some folks figured out they could make a lot of money with these stupid shots, and convinced lots of people they’d die without them. Feel free to ridicule me.

I’ve never taken a flu shot, and I get sick just as often as everyone else. I’ve noticed the same stupid flus go around every year and the people who got shots and the people who didn’t get shots all get sick one after another.

The H1N1 “vaccine” is just an ordinary flu shot with H1N1 cells instead of seasonal flu cells. It’s not going to give your kids autism or make them grow a third arm. There’s a very miniscule chance that some children could develop Guillain-Barre Syndrome from the shot, but it’s the same chance as from every seasonal flu shot in previous years. If you normally get your kids a season flu shot, you should get them the H1N1 as well.

If you normally DON’T get your kids seasonal flu shots, then you should still get them the H1N1. Read all the literature of course because there can be issues if they’re allergic to certain things (eggs for example) just like with any flu shot. But children are the high risk group here, and while the vast majority of kids who contract H1N1 just get miserably sick for a week, there are a percentage of them who were pefectly healthy before and still end up with life-threatening pneumonia and other complications.

My kids are getting the shots. They’ve had seasonal flu shots before, so I’m not worried about side effects or anything. To me that’s a far better idea than rolling the dice hoping they come out in the 95% or whatever of kids who “just get sick” versus the 5% who have severe complications or worse. The H1N1 shots are available through my children’s schools, so that’s how we’re doing it. If I can get a shot for myself at some point, I will, but it’s sounding like it’s going to be pretty difficult for a healthy adult to get a shot until flu season is already over.

Where’s the “would get it but doubt I’ll be able to get it in time” option? As a reasonably healthy 30-something male, I presume I’m way down on the priority list for the H1N1 vaccine.

Also, will we do a follow-up poll in the spring to see who got the flu (swine or otherwise) this season? Be interesting to see if the vaccinated do any better than the unvaccinated.

I asked my doctor if I was morally sound in getting it the first time I saw it, and she said yes. (37 years old.) She said that a lot of H1N1 has already gone out through clinics targeted to the ultra-high-risk folks. We’re next in line, since we’re too young to have any immunity.

H.

Now you want quarantine for the flu? Yes, you are freaking out. It’s the fucking flu, not AIDS or polio or even meningitis.

Here’s what the CDC says:

For H1N1 they push it up to 24 year olds. However, nobody is recommending it for healthy people in their 30s who have no other risks. Yet suddenly I’m supposed feel guilty about following the CDC guidelines because OMG PANDEMIC!!? No.

Never mind the swine flu, that extra question mark in the thread title is driving me crazy.

I have an appointment to get one next week, since who the hell wants the flu? Having seen someone with it first-hand, I have no desire to go through it.

Why would I? Those guys got shots!

The CDC promotes child murder?

Honestly, this is the best news I’ve ever heard. I don’t much like children anyway, but it was always illegal to just punch them when they annoyed me. Now I can murder them passively by not getting this shot!

You’re missing the point, I’m not calling for quarantine, just highlighting that your brave stance against the flu vaccine puts others at risk. You pulled out the “I choose to take the risk” card, so now we’re having a second-hand smoke discussion.

H.

This.

I’m with Shadarr, and as a member of one of those at-risk groups, I will formally say that if I contract H1N1 and almost die, I will not be blaming the guy that was outside the at-risk group that got it and gave it to me, since I should have gone and gotten the damn vaccine if I was so worried about it.

My friend’s kid got H1N1 and missed the first 3 weeks of school because his dumbass uncle refused to get the shot. Friend’s kid couldn’t get the shot because he’s allergic to eggs and is too high risk to do the mist one. So, the uncle got sick, gave it to the kid, uncle was fine in a week, and that poor little boy suffered for almost a month. Guess who didn’t get sick? Everyone else in the family that went and got the shot.

So, is it not the uncle’s fault, then? Is it the kid’s fault for not getting the shot? It’s just his shit luck that he’s allergic to eggs and has other health issues?

Christ. Seriously?

And I mean that in a totally ‘you fucking ridiculous people’ kind of way. Yeah, that fucking uncle. I bet he went out and got sick ON PURPOSE and then coughed all over that kid hoping, just HOPING that he’d get sick.

Shit, man. We should find him and force him to get shots for all kinds of things just so that this never happens again.

He knew the risk, chose not to do anything, and he got a kid so sick that he was in the hospital for a couple of days and sick for a month.

It takes a few minutes and less than thirty bucks to get a shot that is most likely harmless. Why choose not to do that, knowing the risks?

Yes, I. agree about extraneous: punctuation in, places it shouldn’t; be?

I’m not making a brave stance, I just think it’s silly to be more paranoid than the CDC is. So until you can come up with an argument that convinces the doctors at the CDC that they’re wrong, I’ll continue to think you’re over-reacting.

Oh noes, he got sick! Well, send that possibly apocryphal infectious uncle to prison then, because god forbid something bad ever happens to children. If only we’d thought of them more!

First of all, most people actually go out in public and touch door knobs and breathe the air of strangers and have no idea where they catch a virus. But go ahead and give the uncle dirty looks if he shows up at a soccer game.

Secondly, if H1N1 does mutate into something more virulent and deadly, which is the real fear, this kid will have way better immunity than people who merely got the vaccine.

I’m not saying this guy is scum of the earth and should be punished or that people should be forced to get flu shots, I just think it’s a hugely selfish move to ignore risks like that when you’re playing with other peoples health.

I just got mine. And by “got mine” I mean, got H1N1. Or at least the doctors think so – they don’t do a proper test unless you’re “at risk”. Fortunately I’m powering through “ok” because my wife is miserable.

I’m curious, when the 1918 H1N1 flu came around, after having been around before and not been a big deal, would those of you think vaccines are overreacting now have taken one if it were available, or blithely presumed that the flu will play out as it has before in your lifetime?

Yeah, there’s a solid chance nothing unusual comes of this pandemic. According to the experts there is also a reasonable chance it could take a turn for the worse, as has happened before – this is not your ordinary seasonal flu.

Is it just that you need to know someone personally who dies before you consider it a risk? I find it bizarre that people happily take (or give their kids) all sorts of vaccines, but then avoid it for one of the most deadly pathogens.

When the 1918 flu came around we were at war and the boys dying were in trenches in close quarters and awful conditions. Should I be headed to the trenches of the Great War, I would probably want a flu shot.

As I’m not, I’m good. I’ve known people who died of the regular flu. I’ve known people who have gotten sick with H1N1. Some moreso than others. But it’s just the god damn flu. It’s a potent strain sure, but it’s the fucking flu. It’s a risk we take every year. And I don’t remember people freaking out that people weren’t getting flu shots before.

The flu mutates like fucking mad, that’s why the vaccine is mostly a crap shoot every year. You want to get a shot? Go ahead. I’m not going to judge you or call you a pussy, but the people flailing around like this is the end of days and anyone who isn’t getting a shot wants babies to die are just retarded.