When do the next generation GPUs drop?

I just want to see if there’s going to be anything sub 250 (that rumored 3rd SKU)

If the 1060ti comes in <$250, AMD is gonna bleed.

Finally announced.

1070 = $379, June 10. As expected, 980ti-class performance.

1080 = $599, May 27. As expected, 980ti+20% and GDDR5x. Although their “founders” edition apparently overclocks all the way to 2.1Ghz so that would be more like +35%. It’s $699.

How CPU-dependent are PC games these days? I have an i7-2600 @3.4 GHz, which still seems fast to me, but is five years old now. I have a GTX 770, which is starting to feel old, but am not sure whether it makes sense to put something new in this machine.

Most games are GPU-dependent. Get a 1070 for sure.

Keep in mind the Xbone and PS4 have frickin’ Jaguar cores. Those are equivalent to Intel Atom, and we’re talking Intel Atom CPUs from a few years ago. So they’re very lightweight CPUs; essentially tablet class. But they do have a lot of cores. Any decent i5 or i7 should easily keep up, considering most games are multiplatform.

Going to wait to see what AMD brings in at the <$300 price point. They still could potentially cut the knees of Nvidia if they deliver strong mid-range (970 @$200? 970<between<980Ti @ 270?).

Alternatly pick up a used Nvidia in a month.

EDIT: Though the 2x performance in VR does seem interesting - will that carry down to the lower tier offerings?

Oh gosh yes! This card will likely be my next!
I’m not entirely confident that my trusty 1st gen core i7 870 will keep up properly, but from what you guys are saying, I should be all right?
I mean, my computer is still rock-solid (currently with a 970), and I hate to replace the whole rig if I don’t have to (even though it’s 6 years old).

I’m looking forward to the details on power consumption (i think that is not out yet, waiting for the general hardware reviews etc?). My current 750 Ti has been one of my favourite GPU’s ever, and just so damn efficient, it is poetry.

I don’t know about details, but the graphs they showed indicated the ball-park power consumption of the 1080 compared to Maxwell cards.

Click for image

haha yeah the x86 cores in PS4/Xbone are basically a joke. Literally 4 year old Atom core level performance. Everything is GPU perf and has been for the last 6 years or so.

Profanicus, that’s because they went from 28nm to 16nm. That is a HUGE ass jump. Massive power savings.

More of a side effect of GPUs being on really old nm transistor size processes for much much longer than CPUs.

Yeah, but a new 1070/80 is still going to chew way more juice than Zak’s old 750 Ti, which I believe would be down around the 100W mark on that chart… ;)

60W actually, literally off the chart.

If a guy, such as myself, wanted to get a 1080 GTX card, when (historically speaking) could I reasonably expect to see some sort of pre-order page up on a NewEgg or Amazon type place? I’m looking to keep with EVGA, if that makes any difference.

Certainly sometime in June.

Reading into a bit, my feeling is that only the “Founder’s Edition” cards will be available on May 27.

This is new and different. The 1070 seems ridiculously nice.

IMHO I would only drop the cash on the 1080 if I was big into VR. Or had a 4k gaming fetish. Neither of which are true (for me). Hell of a value on that 1070.

Seems like there’s more of a performance gap between this gen’s 80/70 parts than the 900 series. I’m not sure why the Founder’s edition either, if that’s an effort to fill a $380-600 price gap a bit. Are those clocked higher as binned parts or what?

Most important things for me with new video card these days would be NOISE and POWER consumption.

Was tempted to replace my 770 with a 970 but then I found out about the 3.5GB ram thing… still, seemed like a good idea to get one of those ASUS 0db cards… Hopefully there will be somethi9ng like that in the 1k series.