When do the next generation GPUs drop?

Here is what I do. Start with ultra then:

• turn off AA
  • Put shadows to medium
  • Put hairworks off
  • Ambient Occlusion to SSAO
  • All other postprocessing off except bloom and light shafts (personal preference, not sure if it affects FPS at all)
  • Grass Density and Foliage Distance to High

I get 60fps or very close to (maybe 57-60) most of the time, except when it rains which for some reason drops it to 50. Why is raining so costly?

Despite the turn-downs I think it looks virtually the same as ultra. I canā€™t tell the difference on AA at 4k, I canā€™t tell the difference with SSAO (maybe itā€™s just me), and I personally donā€™t think the extra detail in shadows is worth much. I play with a 1080p monitor next to the 4k, and playing at that res on ultra looks fine, but itā€™s night/day difference with the 4k in my view.

How big your 4k screen?

27", which perhaps may explain my inability to see a difference with AA.

Oh really? And 4k in general makes a difference at the size? I thought it was more a result of keeping pixels small when screens got big. Hmm.

Oh most definitely, but it depends on the source material. There are alot of 4k myths on the internet from my experience, and I bet most of them are spread by people who have never owned one. My impressions of a 4k monitor with a 1080 video cardā€¦

Some caveats:

• Applications can look crisper, but it wonā€™t exactly change the way you look at Windows.
  • 1080p games and blu ray look a touch worse, donā€™t listen to the people that say ā€œ1080p will look identical on 4k as itā€™s exactly 4x the sizeā€.
  • Photos taken from a consumer camera will most of the time look pretty similar, even if their resolution is at or above 3820x2160.

Now some good stuff:

• Professional photographs and high-res CG look alot crisper, itā€™s really nice. The wallpaper I have at the moment is of Pluto taken from NASAs satellite cameras and it looks incredible. I have read some people say 4k photos are like looking through a window, and I think thatā€™s a nice metaphor.
  • 4k youtube looks great. Sometimes you canā€™t tell much difference from 1080p but just as often itā€™s a clear difference.
  • 4k high-bit rate stuff, as rare as they are (afaik thereā€™s no way to watch 4k blu rays on the pc yet), look incredible.

Games:

• At 27" one of the worries was GUI scaling and other issues. For a few older games it can be a problem, but then you can always play them at 1080p. But to my surprise most games that are still active have patched in support or already had support for GUI scaling at higher resolutions (even before 4k monitors became a thing).
  • Older games that are 3d may or may not look better. Some games donā€™t look very different from 1080p to me, such as DiRT 3 and others.
  • Newer games that arenā€™t graphically intensive, such as indie games, can still look really nice. 4k gives everything a crispness that can really improve immersion. Itā€™s almost like watching a game in 3d, the extra clarity gives everything additional depth.
  • Newer games that are graphically intensive are fab. Witcher 3 at 4k, which I keep going on about here and other threads, is head and shoulders the best looking game I have ever seen. Thereā€™s many games I have yet to try at 4k, I only recently got the 1080, but I am excited to give them all a go.

With all that said, your eyes adjust to some extent to the new standard. Going back to 1080p resolution for games have become hard for me, it just doesnā€™t look good anymore. A bit like what happened with DVDs after moving to blu ray.

I donā€™t understand this. I mean I agree, I see the same thing, even when I verified a pixel perfect matchup on the TV. No scaling.

So I am just holding off on upgrading my main gaming monitor until I can get a 4k capable card because 1080p on a 4k leaves something to be desired for reasons.

Thanks, though thatā€™s a lot of examples of where you donā€™t see that much difference :-)

Iā€™m going to stick with ultrawide for a while and wait for the OLED/HDR stuff to settle down. Then I guess Iā€™ll look at 4k.

I really like my 1080. But from everything Iā€™ve read itā€™s unrealistic to expect the current generation cards to do 4k at reasonable speeds with good detail. Still to 1080p and youā€™ll probably be happier overall IMO.

Not at all. The 1080 and Titan XP GPUs can absolutely do 4k at high detail. They just canā€™t max out everything and also hit 60fps in graphically intensive modern games.

I think there is a gap here in what constitutes ā€œgoodā€ for people.

To me, good would be high settings, not ultra with 60 fps fairly stable. (50-60) I think that with the 1080, you can expect 4k at medium-to-high settings at 60 or near 60 fps for most games, but not all.

And I have said this like 1000 times, that the GTX1080 isnā€™t going to be your 4K card, if you are expecting maxed out settings, or high settings in all games, or future proofing for next yearā€™s titles. It is the only ā€œaffordableā€ 4K capable card out there, but it isnā€™t a world beater at 650 bucks. I will continue to advise people to wait for the Ti. (which looks to be rumored to be a half step below the Titan X)

You can definitely tweak settings to get the GTX1080 to work at 4K, for sure. But I think people expect the 650$ card to just annihilate everything, and this card doesnā€™t do that at 4K. 1440p, hell yeah, VR games, hell yeah. But 4K, it is just serviceable.

Agree with all you said, but ā€œreasonable speeds with good detailā€ is a low bar, and the 1080 hits it at 4k.

Iā€™m no expert on this stuff, but I thought with WoW in an area with a bunch of characters, gpu wouldnā€™t be the bottleneck?

Maybe in a raid? But poking around my garrison and New Dalaran I couldnā€™t get my CPU above 50%.

Iā€™m at 40" 4K and AA is about just as noticeable as it was at 36" 1080p. Which is to say, pretty important to me.

This is kinda horseshit though because several of the ā€œUltraā€ game settings most people would not be able to see the difference in side by side screenshots, and they can affect perf wildly out of proportion to visual difference. Also some of these effects have a non linear scale with res, meaning the larger the screen buffer the slower they get.

It just depends. ā€œAll setttings ultraā€ is a bit of a meaningless metric because extra pixels is sometimes a better trade off than marginally better looking pixels.

Browse these tweak guides for example. Which of these effects are even noticeable on ultra vs. the (sometimes) high perf cost?

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides

TL;DR ā€œultra or nothinā€™ā€ is a dumb world view. People canā€™t even reliably tell PS4 from Xbone and PC and those are huge differences relative to stupid little ultra shadows tweaks

I donā€™t know how good WoW is at taking advantage of more cores but I am guessing ā€œnot veryā€ and you were probably maxing out the cores WoW was using.

Seeing as WoW was one of the first games to go 64bit I suspect youā€™re wrong, but I canā€™t check right now.

While I would definitely not say that the age of 4k gaming is upon us, Iā€™ve found that Iā€™m making very minor compromises with a GTX 1080 to play just about everything released prior to 2016 (except Witcher 3). Iā€™m very sensitive to 60Hz, so am optimizing around frame rate, and have only had to turn down shadows / SSAO and hardware AA to get there for everything that Iā€™ve tried to play. Fallout 4 - just dropped down god rays and used TAA; BF4 - everything maxed; etc. These are very nice looking games at 4k.

So yeah, the 1080 isnā€™t ready to rock a showpiece like Witcher 3 or poorly optimized ports like Deus Ex:MD or The Division, and I donā€™t think the 1080ti will be able to either. But playing 95% of my library on a 42" 4k screen is a hell of an immersive experience, with very little taken away because I donā€™t have shadow distance maxed out.

I donā€™t know what their threading model is, but being 64-bit doesnā€™t have anything to do with core utilization.

Is MSI generally an OK brand? It seems like they announce a lot of stuff that takes forever to hit retail. Iā€™ve got watches set for both B&H and Amazon for the Aegis X 1080 which has been listed since mid augustā€¦