When do the next generation GPUs drop?

So much this. My entire desire for computing power now is driven by MSFS 2020 performance, specifically in VR.

Yeah, it’s a little weird. There’s never been a game before where I felt “this is the only benchmark that matters”, but really, that’s the only benchmark that matters to me, because that’s the game that pushes both CPUs and GPUs hard, and it’s totally an awesome game that let’s you explore the entire fucking planet.

The free Star Citizen week suggested to me it might fall into a similar category. I never got far enough to see if it was doing enough to actually justify its performance though :)

Today’s 3080 watch sees

$770 at Newegg…

and 700 alleged at B&H…

But isn’t that the Gigabyte card that has the power connectors that sometimes break off?

Whaddaya want for $700 clams? Yooropean quality?

Yes it is. I’m sure they fixed it by now, though.

I wonder, did the Ukraine war and the increase of energy prices affected cryptomining, and therefore gpu prices?

The collapse of most cryptocurrencies was the biggest culprit. Not due to energy costs, but because the entire industry is a giant scam house of cards.

It’s too murky to tell, really. Competing pressures here.

First, sanctions mean GPUs aren’t being shipped to Russia, the only way to buy one is to smuggle it in. So more GPUs for everybody else.

Second, Russians have strictly limited means to buy anything outside the iron curtain other than cryptocurrency, so it has value in addition to its exchange rate to the Euro. If you want to pay for a VPN to watch Netflix, or read the real news, etc, you need cryptocurrency or someone outside the country to pay for it.

Third, cryptocurrency is tightly regulated in the Russian Federation, it can only be used as an investment vehicle and not as payment for goods/services, with all conversions from crypto to real money only permitted at banks. Assumedly to protect the ruble.

All that stuff contributed to crypto crashing, certainly, but the whole thing was a house of cards as woolen mentioned, backed by nothing, and rampant inflation and stock market crashes meant all the 22 year old kids with their life savings in dogecoin or whatever have to head back to their old homes manning the Wendy’s fryolator.

AMD confirms chiplets for Navi 3.

Funny thing, their own graph is more like 30% higher, not 50%

Suggest ignoring bullshit marketing graphs and waiting on independent testing.

That said, chiplets on GPUs are hugely exciting.

Better than chiclets on GPUs, that’s for sure.

Or a ribwich.

But not as good as incubation pants.

Looks like 50% more than the first to me.

Digital Foundry looked at the latest FSR update in God of War, vs DLSS.

Spoilers

The main challenge facing AMD is in addressing disocclusion issues - quickly revealing previously hidden imagery causes a noticeable fizzling effect that DLSS doesn’t suffer from. Transparent elements, especially water, also see a smearing of detail that isn’t quite right. Sub-pixel detail from foliage and hair also has trouble achieving an effective resolve.

…if you’re using an RTX card, Nvidia’s technique is still the way to go: it runs a touch faster than FSR 2.0 and addresses many of the issues AMD has still to address, providing an image that’s generally of a higher quality level - and can even give native resolution rendering a run for its money in some scenarios. However, for non-RTX cards (remember, there’s still many GTX GPUs out there) and for AMD cards, FSR 2.0 works well and can only get better.

Does it make sense to get a 3090 TI with the 4080/4090 right around the corner?

The 3090 Ti is an absolutely ridiculous, $2,000 card, and you do not need it unless you need 24GB of VRAM for creative work.