When do the next generation GPUs drop?

Hell, I refuse to buy anything above a 3070 due to the ridiculous power draw. I’m waiting to see what will come first - a price I’m willing to pay for the 3070, or new cards that might be more efficient in FPS/watt than the previous ones. (or my 1060 could die)

Once I get the fusion bottle installed (friend had an old BattleMech he didn’t need, so I bought the core), I might be able to buy a new video card!

IMHO, the 3090 TI never made sense; it’s a new flagship from a generation that’s getting ready to be put into drydock.

Debateably it makes sense as an alternative to an A5000 :)

Just wanted to say I wasn’t asking for myself, it just seemed crazy to me that anyone would even consider that card with the 4000 series right around the corner, even if one was doing creative work. So I was wondering if there was something else I was missing about this, because I don’t even know why NVidia is releasing it.

The 3090ti is a whaling expedition. And probably fairly successful at that.

I guess maybe? I usually think of the A-series as being in farms, and no farm would want a 3090’s heat and power draw. But you’re right; could be perfectly cromulent for individual applications for someone who NEEDS that extra 5% or whatever.

Huh; Chrome no longer flags “cromulent” as a typo. Seinfeld, what have you done?

Nvidia internal top secret image.

download

No doubt, but there are a lot of them in workstations, and you get more performance for less money going with a consumer card.

But yeah, it’s totally a whaling expedition. Kind of my point was that the only people this makes sense for are not actually the target market at all.

I suspect that you’re going to be disappointed. Cores DO get more efficient at smaller process nodes, but those efficiency gains are being used to squash more cores on a card or die. And so the overall power envelope of the whole package keeps growing by generation.

Isn’t the 3090ti the fully enabled version of whatever the top chip is from the 3000 series? If so, it makes sense as a thing that they can only release when the yields are good enough for the generation that they have enough chips available to release as a thing.

Hopefully we can look further down the product stack.

Holy shit this is 90€ cheaper than what I had seen before

And a bold blower design too :)

Yeah that raised an eyebrow. There was a more modern design for 810€ I believe.

I’m so with you guys. (And behind on my Qt3 reading…) I’d have taken the harpoon and bought a 3090Ti a year ago because MSFS actually benefits from it, but now we’re months away from the 4000 series. Unless someone needs insane amounts of VRAM, they’re gonna be pissed when they buy one of these and a 4070 that’s faster is released in a few months.

All I can think about these new GPU’s, if you live somewhere hot, you’re gonna melt your PC.

EVGA is notifying folks that their queue system is no more, as they have actual cards in stock now.

Gamers Nexus takes a really deep look into the transient power spike problem