Which GTA Mission Did You Have To Redo The Most? (Spoilers, Obviously)

Curiously, I think the mission I’ve replayed the most so far is when you kill the biker boyfriend of Mikhail’s daughter: partly because it was the first motorcycle mission and I kept wiping out or falling too far behind; partly because it took me a few tries to realize he was invulnerable (I think) to attack until you got to the park, so I stopped wasting bullets during the chase.

That said, it still only took 4 or 5 tries, IIRC. The DIAS Factor of IV is a lot lower than previous GTA games I’ve played. Though I suspect I’m gonna really, really suck at the races.

My approach was to knife the first manager (the one in the office) so as not to alert the others; then take cover behind the railing in the back of the club before gunning down the second manager and all his goons. That just left the third manager alone in the back room.

Deconstruction for beginners was kicking my ass but I finally got it.

Do you guys retry the missions when you fail or reload?

Depends. If it’s a mission like “No. 1”, no big deal to just retry it via the cell phone. But if it’s like “Escuela of the streets” and I’ve lost my body armor and used a bunch of munitions, I’ll reload.

Those of you kvetching about Three Leaf Clover or Snow Storm are really cute. You guys just wait until the last mission. Ha ha. I wish I could be there to live the schadenfreude!

BDGE, I feel you on that Gobble Gobble achievement. Here’s the thing: throw slow! I spent hours upon hours (Liberty City time) bowling with Dwayne, and there were three (3!) times I got two strikes in a row and flubbed the third. Meanwhile, Dwayne was kicking ass. They must have had a bowling lane wherever he was doing time.

But once I tried slowing my throw, I bowled a game with eight strikes. I haven’t gone bowling since. I don’t miss it.

-Tom

Does anyone have any hints for the mission franklin heights? I’m on my fourth try and I’m getting annoyed, I can get to the part where I can kill/spare the guy but I can’t get away from the cops. In my last time I got out and stole and ambulance and somehow I got hit in such a way I think I pulled a 900 in the air.

Ok, I’m not sure I had to do Catch a Wave the most times but it is easily the most annoying so far. You have to drive across town to pick up a slow ass truck to then drive that across town to fight it out, and then have to take some boats to the other side of the island. So not only is it long but it’s possible to fail for all kinds of stupid reasons. First time I failed I got hit with a rocket while waiting for the dumbass to run through the boathouse, go around stupid! The second time I failed soon as we got there because I got out of the truck with no gun equipped and before I realized what was going on I was dead. The third time I failed was because Phil the idiot hit my boat with his and flipped mine causing it to be destroyed, that was awesome!

Finally done with it now. And the best thing about it is, the designers know it’s a stupid mission as Phil and Nico talk about how dumb the plan is.

Well, right after I read this I went and was able to beat it. Not having to nudge your own roadblock out of the way is key.

The last mission was the worst for me: first try I failed to get in the chopper from the boat, second and third Niko moronically threw a grenade at his feet, fourth try my chopper crashed into a building and fifth time was a charm. Other than that mission I didn’t have too much trouble with any of them.

I think I only beat “No. 1” on the 4th try.

Perks help. Dwayne and Kiki’s perk made that mission pretty easy.

I haven’t found kiki yet, so far no one seems to be responding to the online date requests. Are you only allowed one online girlfriend at a time? I managed to get thru that mission by running to the 2nd floor and jumping out the window avoiding killing any of the officers and only dealing with a 2 star wanted level.

You can have multiples. Most will turn you down I think but you should have got an email from the dating service giving you two likely matches which end up being Kiki and Carmen, neither of which should turn you down. You have to “unlocked” the dating service by receiving the mission that gets you a profile but you’re well past that now.

The darts I did on my first try, the pool game too. Bowling is going to freaking kill me. I’ve played way too much of it and it’s bugging the piss out of me. It’s easier to bowl strikes in real life than on this crappy attempt at fun.

I’ve rarely had to try a mission more than three times so far in the game. Even the ones that most people seem to get stuck on. But not bowling.

I’m gonna see pins in my sleep tonight.

The trick is use the left lane, take two steps to the left, then move the stick down for a second then up as straight as possible and impart no aftertouch. You should have the 3 strikes inside a game.

I absolutely agree on this. That mission is really freaking long.

Three Leaf Clover took me three tries. The Snow Storm, two. Hostile Negotiations required three attempts and Catch the Wave four, I think. The final mission took the most, at five or six tries. There were others that took at least two, but The Snow Storm sticks in my memory for some reason.

A Dish Served Cold only took one attempt, but that’s probably because I left the boat at one point to refresh my health and armor.

The difficulty spikes from the previous games have been toned down considerably. Certainly there’s nothing like N.O.E. or Freefall, which I had to retry literally dozens of times before lucking out. This is also probably the first GTA game since 3 that doesn’t have a finale N times longer and N times more difficult than the preceding missions. It’s merely N times longer – even after they introduced the one-off checkpoint! – and has plenty of opportunity for random disaster, like the Sanchez hitting a bump right before the jump to the helicopter and flipping into the water, or the helicopter getting hit by one of the missiles that ends the mission rather than the missile that triggers the intended crash cutscene.

The taxi service is a wondrous usability improvement, but it also really highlights the hard missions where you are forced to repeat a lengthy drive for whatever reason. What irks me is that San Andreas had a trip skip feature that would’ve solved this problem. It was a half-assed solution there, but it would’ve fit the bill perfectly here.

This one is currently kicking my ass - any tips? I never get ahead of the pack and usually wipe out on a corner - and it’s all over then.

I didn’t have too much difficulty with the “No. 1” race. Probably 3 or 4 tries, though, but those failures aggravated me far less than certain other missions because they were mostly just bad driving. It just comes down to concentrating more on driving well than driving fast–once you get ahead of the pack, they really don’t catch up unless you do something like corner too aggressively and spin out.

Had another motorcycle chase mission, that involves disguising yourself as an Albanian, that I only failed about the same number of times, but in contrast those failures were much more rage-inducing. The time that got me the closest I’ve come to hurling a controller in a long while was a bit that showed that you were required to chase the guy on his exact route. You see, at one point he darts down a long alley. I’m on the road directly paralleling that alley. He’s right in my radar, in the default close-in mode. There’s no hidden ways out of that alley, and I can reacquire easily right on the exit road. At no point does his dot ever leave the radar.

Beep. Mission failed, retry? It failed me because I wasn’t in the alley with him. Awesome job, Rockstar. Way to make use of your open city.

So far; Luck of the Irish. Because i’m an idiot it took me 5 tries before i noticed the guy grappling with Packie. I’m on the first race now, 3 tries so far and i need to work on my driving skills apparantly.

I failed that one two times before, on the third try, I ran around the side of the building to try and swim for safety when I noticed there’s a speedboat that conveniently spawns right near the abandoned hospital… It’s just waiting there at the dock for you to make your escape.

I haven’t played in over a week, so I’m still quite a bit behind many of you, but the motorcycle missions, more than any others, drove me nuts.