Whiskey Friday™

Pappy has skyrocketed due to demand. I’ve had people offer me over $1000 for on of my bottles of the 23-year family reserve.

You can still do a fine bottle of bourbon at the $200 price point. If you can find it, the Elijah Craig 21 year is fantastic, and retails around $200.

Yeah was about to mention… there’s a Elijah Craig 23-year for $210 or so that should be hitting shelves very soon now.

— Alan

Ah, that’s a good idea. Any hints on how to find the 23 and know when it’s out?

I’ve had decent luck in the past with K&L Wines. They’ve got a waiting list going for release. KLwines.com. They ship to California. Might be worth checking other online retailers as well.

K&L (klwines.com), where they have a waiting list for pre-orders. There’s a store in Hollywood.

Uh, they don’t just ship to California, they are IN California :)

— Alan

BTW, if I get a glass of Pappy, is that going to be served straight? Would it be suicidal to drink it with ice? I’m a pretty casual drinker so straight bourbon might be lost on me.

In my experience (and others) the water from a single, small melting ice cube opens up the flavor envelope of a fine bourbon. Having said that, let me emphasize small and single. Others may certainly disagree.

I love having a small ice cube in my bourbons, and my collection has stuff like AH Hirsch, many Pappy 23’s, etc.

At Bourbon here in DC, they recommend it as well.

HOLY SHIT.

I just checked, and Hirsch 16 Year is retailing for between $1200 and 2000. I have one bottle 3/4 full, and three still sealed.

Oh, and “16 Year” is a misnomer. It went to bottle at 16 years old…in 1989.

I’ll give you $1100 for it!!!

No. But now I’m definitely investing in a locking cabinet for them.

Kentucky Gov. Beshear pays off his Final Four wager with Wisconsin Gov. Walker:

I don’t know much about Beshear’s politics, but I have no argument with his taste in whiskey.

He’s a democrat.

Wow, it’s been a while, eh? While it’s not Friday I wanted to post this:

Decided to pick up a bottle of this since I’ve heard good things. The bottle comes with a shot glass and a little oak barrel shot glass cozy. Pretty cool. For a 90 proof it’s amazingly smooth and mild.

A very woody, oaky nose. To be expected since they “sweat” the empty barrel to draw out more flavor. The middle is vanilla and leather, but not overpoweringly so. Some cherry and flowery notes. The finish is again woody and very smooth, with a bit of brown sugar. Pretty nice.

Recommended.

Wednesday is close enough.

I love dopey stuff like that little wood barrel. I’ll buy bottles I wouldn’t normally try just because of it. The bummer is we rarely get anything cool in our state stores (VA blows).

I’m in agreement about Devil’s Cut. It’s as woody as anything out there, even more so than Elijah Craig.

Let’s all buy a new bottle we decide on this week and all open it and drink it Friday night together. I have no whiskey or bourbon on hand and want to try something new next Friday. Something a lot of us haven’t tried.

That’s a really cool idea. I’m down. Suggestions? Needs to be something not too common, but available enough it’s obtainable by most folks.

I’ll toss in a vote for one of these:

Blanton

Booker

Basil Hayden

While searching for those pictures I found this:

In the tradition of fire’s post above, I’ll toss in a vote for this one:

Noah’s Mill

-xtien