Whiskey Friday™

On a related note, this is the only thread on Qt3 that refuses to send me to the last unread post when I click on the notification. It always sends me to the first post.

I don’t think this thread likes me.

-xtien

I got a bottle when I toured the Buffalo Trace distillery a couple years ago. The tour was awesome and I thought the bourbon was wonderful.

It’s trying to drive you to drink.

I probably will have my bourbon on Saturday night instead, but I enjoy this plan. Anyone want to make the final pick?

I made an executive decision and picked up:

The local corner yuppie liquor store is mostly craft beers and things, whiskey selection is good but very limited.

Ah, I’ve had that before! It’s not bad; I think you might like it. :-)

ElG, looks like the plan has sufficient momentum to be a go. Care to make the pick?

I’m fairly clueless when it comes to whiskey, but I think a bottle would go nice as part of a Christmas gift. I’ve looked at a few bottles and was curious if anyone had any experience with any of these?

Highland Park Odin Single Malt 16YO

The Macallan Ruby Highland Single Malt Whisky

Highland Park 21 Year Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Teeling 21 Year Old Single Malt Irish Whiskey

New batch arrived today from Scotland!

12 bottles (my share of 210 bottles) of 10 yo cask strength (58%) Islay whisky. All costs included we have paid about 40$ per bottle.

You’re punching way above my weight class there, but I can’t imagine any of them could go wrong.

Don’t get me wrong: I’m fine with drinking Jamesons and I love it, but dear god I wish I could afford to drink this stuff every day:

It’s been a lovely evening.

Crown Royal and regressions tests for me.

Speaking of Crown Royal I FINALLY got a bottle of Norther Harvest Rye. It was actually impossible to find after it Whisky of the Year award at the end of the year, so it was a nice surprise to find the shelves full of them at the nearby liquor store.

My review? Pretty darn good. Not sure if it deserved such bombastic praise, but it’s definitely as good as any Canadian whisky I’ve had and certainly up there for a rye whisky. Very fruity, sweet, bit of kick. ESPECIALLY good for the price compared to the other “premium” Canadians. $35 CAD instead of $50 for the big boys like Lot.40.

Have you tried Rittenhouse Rye? I’d be curious how it stacks up against it as it’s my current favorite

I haven’t tried Rittenhouse, but I’ll definitely check it out sometime.

Ok, I splurged on a topshelf rye and oh my. What a difference an extra $50 makes.

This is sublime. It doesn’t have the bite that the Rittenhouse has (which bites more like a single malt), and it’s so damn smooth, it just soaks on the tongue for ages. In fact, I find I actually drink less of this when I drink because a few shots last so much longer.

@Otagan pointed me back to this thread so I’d like to bump it for some recommendations on bourbon.

My father was a bourbon drinker, I think I got a distaste of some of the brands he frequented back in the day and never looked at bourbon again until a few years ago. I still tend to stay away from his old brands but honestly, the taste of barreled beers brought me back to the nuances of good bourbon. I’m dipping my feet in but really enjoy some of the more readily available ones here, but they fall into what I’m assuming are regulars: Four Roses, Bulleit, Basil Hayden and occasionally even Woodford.

The problem is I have a tough time knowing what is is I like about those, and I don’t know where to go for info on what to try, either along those lines or things I should probably try on the edges of the style so I understand them better.

This is a good time for me to ask, as next week I’m traveling and there is an awesome place there to do some sampling, between all the beers I’ll be having as well.

Any tips for info or recommendations?

You like yours a bit on the sweet side (Bulleit/Four Roses)? If so, I’d suggest Maker’s Mark or Maker’s 46. Also, Angel’s Envy which was mentioned a bit upthread.

That makes complete sense. I would describe it to me as easier to taste the lighter notes of the barrelling, but I’m sure that equates to less heavy or sweeter.

To be fair, Maker’s Mark I’ve kind of overlooked, I didn’t know it fell into that same profile. And I’ll certainly try Angel’s Envy if I can find it next weekend.

Thanks man!

If you want a rye to try I’d think that Templeton would probably suit you. It’s damn smooth.

I’ll put that on the list as well. Cheers to you both.