White Gold (Boiling Point 2/Xenus 2) and Precusors with english patches

Anyone playing either of these? I just downloaded White Gold (Xenus 2) from yuplay.ru and applied the most recent english translation patch. You can get both Precursors and Xenus 2 from that site for $8 each.

The guy did a really good job on the translation patch (it’s not official).

If you don’t know what Boiling Point was, here’s a brief rundown:

STALKER meets Deus Ex meets Far Cry 2. In a very rough form. The more time you put into it, the more you got out of it. The sequel seems to be in much better shape than the original, even in with it’s non-offical translation pack.

Precursors seems to be the sci-fi version of that, with the addition of flying around to different planets. I’m going to grab that one next, as it seems very intriguing.

Anyhow, if you do decide to check these out, here are some links you’ll be needing:

YuPlay digital download for Xenus 2:

http://yuplay.ru/story.php?title=Xenus-2-Белое-золото

You will have to switch the language back to english a few times in the upper right corner of the website when purchasing. Another thing you need to do is verify your credit card by looking at your statement and telling the website what small sub-one-dollar charge they put on your account. When at the verification page, you need to switch the language back to russian to have it go through correctly. The whole thing sounds very sketchy, but several people have had their transactions go through fine. Apparently this site is like the Direct2Drive of Russia.

Xenus 2 (White Gold) English patch:

http://www.patches-scrolls.de/white_gold_war_in_paradise.php#tp10

Also, if you have a later Radeon, you’ll need to apply this patch to remove the annoying screen flickering:

So you gave a Russian webshop your cc details.
Now that’s a brilliant idea…

Sorry, man, lol. Just lol.

Good luck with that…Boiling Point was garbage, and to even MENTION its name in the same phrase as Deus Ex is a crime.

Personally, I’d skip setting the website to English, which changed a few headers to English and nothing else, and just stick to Google Translated Russian pages. I don’t know if there’s a Firefox extension for it, but Chrome (or an extension I’ve forgotten installing and can’t look up) will ask if you want the site autotranslated when you navigate to it. Works a treat.

I’ve put about 3 hours into White Gold so far. It’s a much more polished experience than Boiling Point. The translation is rough, sometimes bordering on non-sensical, but the quest descriptions are all very understandable.

There is a lot to do in the game as well. Many different factions fighting against each other, tons of sidequests, and complete freedom to do whatever you want. The graphics are pretty decent as well… lots of physics on all the objects and vegetation.

Definitely would recommend it to people that enjoy this kind of game.

I had done a lot of research on the site before using it. Lots of people on forums had been leery of it as well, and had not only had zero problems with the site, but also found the staff to be extremely helpful. I hadn’t heard of a single instance of anyone getting scammed.

You could always go to the grocery and buy one of those $25 Visa gift cards. Well, $25 plus a $3.95 service fee. But it’s less risky than using your actual credit card.

More impressions please! With screenshots if possible :D

You know, this is the kind of stuff these fancy new gaming blogs should be covering, rather than rehashing Ubisoft’s DRM yet again. Hmmph! :)

Funny enough, my bank just called me and said there were suspicious charges on my card. I panicked slightly, then when they were reading them to me I chuckled.

They’re reading off a lot of these $2.99 and $4.99 purchases over the past 3 days from an internet site called “Steam” … then they noticed a $7.99 charge from a website in Russia.

The Steam sale was so awesome it set off alarms at my bank.

Some screenshots:

Man, that evokes Just Cause 2 to me pretty strongly. A feeling of “if you can see it, you can go there and there’ll be something there for you to see/do”. Do the quests actually work this time?

Well, now I know what to use that $15 Visa gift card I got with my Corsair rebate for!

Still to be seen. I’ve completed about 3 so far, and the general consensus of people I’ve read on other forums seem to be positive.

The readme for the translation mentions 3 known bugs in the main game that will result in quests not completing right, and he describes what they are and how to get around them.

From looking at the version history on this translation patch, it seems like he’s gone through a lot of trouble to make it work well.

I did however have one NPC who was talking literal gibberish for two sentences. The last line made a bit more sense, but the quest that came up in the quest log was fine.

I don’t think a gift card would work on this site, as they make foreign orders verify a random sub one dollar charge on their account before letting you download to verify that you aren’t using a stolen card.

Oh, damn. Well, I can still give it a shot.

Also, there are used copies that appear for fairly cheap on ebay every once in a while. Unfortunately somebody posted about the new translation patch on NeoGAF and they were all bought up in a few minutes.

I could only find one Russian review of this game but since I can’t understand Russian all that it told me was they gave it a score of 52% overall. Sounds like they were a bit too harsh.

Do the vehicles work decently in the game? That was probably the most annoying aspect of the original.

I just put two hours into Precursors.

Wow, this game looks REALLY good. It’s basically Far Cry 2/Stalker in space. White Gold is very good, but this game is much more polished.

I’ve been walking around a Dagobah-esque planet running quests for various people around town. The art is very good, and the translation is great as well so far.

Eventually you get a buggy to drive around on the planet, then further on you get a space ship and fly to other planets.

Seriously, this game looks solid:

(only shot I could find of the space combat)

Why do they keep making these ultra ambitious games ever and then not release them officialy in the west :( :(