White Gold (Boiling Point 2/Xenus 2) and Precusors with english patches

To state the obvious, because presumably no-one will publish them.

I’m going to drop him a line though.

KG

Yeah but these days you don’t really need publisher ?
I am sure if they made professional translation they could get a deal with Valve and/or Impulse?

Why not follow path of Torchlight, Machinarium etc…

The problem is they already have a Russian publisher. I assume that when they signed the contract with them, the Russian publisher was due royalties on any other distribution channels. That publisher would also be negotiating international deals, and most likely won’t let the developer do it on their own.

They couldn’t get a deal that appealed to them, so now the game is just stuck in limbo. Luckily this ‘fan’ took it upon himself to translate. I think this fan might be a dev on the game but he can’t admit it.

The developer could also buy back full publishing rights to the title, but that would be a substantial chunk of cash. The developer probably doesn’t have that kind of money lying around.

It’s really too bad that Boiling Point was such an unpolished game. These two are leaps and bounds above that game, in both design and polish.

They definitely would get a niche audience in the west if someone would pony up and localize them.

Goddamnit, these look awesome. Learning Russian is awfully tempting.

They are 100% playable in English with the translation patch. Everything is translated, except the in-engine cutscenes. There are only about 5 or 6 of these in both games, and there is a translation of what is being said in the Readme that comes with the translation.

They are also short and fairly meaningless in the scope of the game.

In Precursors, there are a bit more prerendered cutscenes, and these are subtitled in english.

Some HD gameplay.

I just love this Deus Ex/Stalker kind of design. Classic PC…damn I hope it will get official release.

I’m thinking about pulling the trigger and getting Precursors. How is the stability? Was ordering the game difficult? More specifically, once you put in your CC info, how do you know where do D/L from? Do they have a download link to an exe or do you have to install a D/L client like impulse?

I explained the ordering process in the OP.

There are 3 options for downloading once you purchased it. Torrent, the uPlay client (which is game-specific, and just seems like a different kind of torrent) or direct HTTP. For some crazy reason you have to pay an extra dollar to use direct HTTP.

I used the uPlay client downloader thing, and got about 1 meg/second rate on it. Took about an hour and a half to download.

Both games are around 6 gigs.

Thanks. Are there any bugs or stability issues in Precursors?

There are three or four bugs mentioned in the readme… nothing too bad. I think the bugs existed in the real game and he was just giving a heads up.

Stability-wise, it’s good so far. However, I have a really strange bug that if I hit “O” to go to my objectives screen, then hit “O” again, it crashes to desktop. I have to ESC out of all screens.

I posted about it on the main boards, and no one else seems to have this problem, so I don’t know…

Precursors interested me the most since the White Gold setting isn’t doing much for me. I almost bought it last night when I read that one dude restored 30,000 lines of English dialogues. Might pull the trigger on it soon.

Stability in both seems fine to me. White Gold installed flawlessly, Precursors I’ve downloaded something like 8 times and never got installed, the files on their server were corrupt. I finally talked them into replacing them but at least one is still bad (I get the error further along in the installation)

They were responsive, but not very helpful in the end and now no longer reply to me.

So I considered a chargeback, but in the end torrented a disc copy in the hopes that copying some of the files over would still let me activate the DL version with my key. No go. so I cracked it.

Hell ,I paid for it… might as well be able to play.

All that said, I’m enjoying it, I think precursors is much more interesting than white gold, but I really disliked the initial area of Precursors, dont let that turn you off.

I downloaded Precursors through their d/l client thinger last night, and it installed fine. So they must have fixed the file.

I’m not sure wesp is a dev. The username is suspiciously similar to that one guy that developed the scripting engine or whatever it is for Elder Scrolls mods.

Ah thought the name looked familiar. Looks like he did the unofficial patches for VTM:B too.

Well, I got it and it downloaded fine, and installation seemed to go okay, but now the exe won’t run. After installation it wanted me to install some sort of russian Direct x thing… anyone know about that? I was afraid it would do weird things to my computer so I didn’t install it. Anyone else experience this?

I’m pretty sure the three options at the end of the installer are DirectX, MS C++ redisributable and either make an icon on the desktop or run the game.

I left all 3 checked. Some games need specific files from the C++ Redis or DirectX that may not be in the regular package, so that may be your problem.

With White Gold, it ran the game immediately after install, and the screen hung but the audio continued. I killed it’s process, then applied the english translation pack, and the game loaded fine the second time.

Crud. Is there a way to install them without installing the entire thing again?

I assume you mean downloading the whole thing again.

Wherever you pointed the downloader to will have the files you need in it. There is an executable in that directory with the same name as the game. Just run that again.