Who wants a Steam Deck?

I like this post.

I felt like they were trying to evoke a cyberdeck but the nautical references work too.

In a development shocking no one, Steam is unable to process transactions trying to check out with the deposit.

Hahahahaha

I got through just fine, but it took a couple of attempts.

Maybe 8-10 attempts for me, but finally went through.

Mine “went through” but is stuck in my order history as “pending” while they’re trying to collect money from me…my payment method is fine. Hopefully it gets resolved.

Yeah, they’re very good for cursor control with some tweaking, and the left track pad as a scroll wheel with haptic ‘clunks’ is awesome. I used to use my Steam Controller a fair bit for couch TBS and some light desktop navigation (usually firing up Netflix or browsing).

For aiming they’re trickier to use, even with a gyro to help. That said, with the Deck’s dual sticks and gyro (which you can see the Doom Eternal player using in the trailer), and Steam’s controller config all built in (including implementation of ‘flick stick’), I imagine this device is going to be very flexible and accommodating for pretty much any type of game compared to other systems. I’m still not sure about gyro when the screen is part of the device but I’m sure it can be tuned to work.

Small text/fiddly UIs is a big concern and while I welcome the thought of the Steam Deck leading to more scaleable and accessible HUDs in the future, I can only imagine how much of a headache that will be for developers, particularly smaller ones. I wonder if the Steam store will need to say which games, particularly older ones, aren’t ‘optimised’ for the Deck?

To answer the topic question: I’d love one but I’m not sure whether it would get the use to justify it based on my undocked use of the Switch…

They very likely will do exactly that, they did it for the Steam Controller, note which titles support gamepads, etc.

Should be great for MAME and emus.

That’s ridiculous, they lack opposable thumbs.

They can put it on the ground and use their peckers.

I think you just invented a new fetish, JMJ.

So it appears the base model can have an SSD added:

That’s pretty cool. Remains to be seen how easy it is to open though.

Fixed your post.

Obviously it doesn’t have a “user-replaceable battery,” but does it have a battery that’s replaceable by humans with a reasonable, less-than-3-hours amount of effort (Nintendo Switch) or nah (recent MacBook)?

I expect to see some teardowns as soon as units start showing up in the wild. We’ll know then how easy it is to upgrade or replace components. Very cool that it has an actual M.2 slot though.