Who wants to play Old World PBEM? (games starting August 1st!)

And now @CraigM

@davehemke is up

Game Two.Two turn is in. guinnesdaddy (@triggercut ?) is up.

Is replay still broken for everyone?
Does scout “hiding” work with full map reveal? I’m starting to suspect it doesn’t. ;)
Is the Ambassador role basically useless in MP?

@tomchick - I somehow missed your second settler pop, when I thought you were building a worker or militia. Was I on crack, where did that settler come from?

@Thraeg

Heck if I recall. Bonus card maybe? But looking over my techs, I don’t see which tech would have given me a free settler. The turn log doesn’t have anything to say about the matter. Maybe I got it in one of the ancient ruins?

-Tom

Actually, I’m pretty sure it does. I’ve been playing my single-player games without fog of war, and it looks like hidden status is still a part of the gameplay.

Not entirely. Her wisdom gives all your cities an influence boost. She’s one of my favorite council members for that reason. It’s just that her charisma, which is normally her “main” trait, is only useful in games with AI nations. Of course, her missions are also only useful with AI nations, but that’s fewer resources you’re spending.

I hope Soren does a developer’s diary on multiplayer, because the sense I get from Old World is that it’s primarily designed for single player. So much of the diplomacy and opinion system, which is threaded nicely into so many other elements of gameplay, goes by the wayside when you’re playing against human opponents. :(

I do wonder if Old World maybe fares better as a multiplayer game with fewer human players among a bunch of AI nations.

-Tom

I can answer this! There is a tech that gives a free settler.

I don’t remember the name off hand, but I saw it in game 2 in my deck this turn

Ah, it’s Polis. I was thinking it was Labor Force, but there was no indicator on the tech tree. The issue is that the indicator for bonus cards disappears after you research the tech and claim the card. Which isn’t particularly helpful. It’s actually the opposite of helpful when it comes to learning the tech tree.

-Tom

Yup, that’s the one. Not sure if everyone who researches Polis gets that or if only the first person or whatever

Anyhow my queen is now The Learned, which is cool.

Everyone gets the option to research bonus cards.

-Tom

Invisible scouts work the same with fog of war off. (It just turns visibility on for every tile but doesn’t show hidden units, which still work the same way.)

I am hoping the @tomchick’s people soon realize that he lack Legitimacy!

@davehemke is up.

Game Two.Two. Quick turn around. guinnesdaddy (@triggercut ?) is up.

@tomchick 's merc army is wonderous.

I’m not guinessdaddy. But whomever that is, he or she is up!

is it @Sonoftgb ?

Ok, now we’re at @triggercut .

Si, senor.

Back to the mysterious guinessdaddy (@Sonoftgb )

I like the UI update - cleaner minimap and character traits visible.

Sweet sassy molassy, merc recruit is situationally super powerful. We are probably in the absolute best/worst situation for it: revealed map + numerous barb camps. Maybe, needs some adjacency requirements.

OTH - that power is next to useless in some other situations.

Speaking of useless… my Diplomat leader. Maybe in MP we can house rule him as an assassin.
For my first assassination, I would like to murder the Roman tactician ruler, Romulus.

It’s tempting to make adjustments to the Diplomat and Ambassador in MP, but the problem is that “MP” encompasses everything from 7 player FFA to team games to 2-player coop games against the AI to mixed 7p human/AI games… and it’s a sliding scale, so it’s not clear when to flip the switch.

Welcome to the Diplomat club! I like to believe it’s one of those sarcastic nicknames people get in mob movies, e.g. they call the big guy “Tiny” and the angry guy “The Diplomat”.

At least in our game it mostly works out, since both teams have a player that can purchase mercs.

I’ll probably just bite the bullet and convert the diplomat and ambassador bonuses into something else if there are no other AI in the game…