Who won the E3 conference war?

Did you work for Sony Eyetoy? Your fanboyism is really starting to show. That and the math just isn’t adding up.

Just trying to balance out the unfounded contempt everything Sony gets from most people here. How’s this, why don’t you tell me what was cool about Natal again. Was it seeing the bottom of an avatar’s shoe? Was it throwing paint on a wall? Cause I can tell you what was cool about the PSMC: Shooting zombies in the face, cutting them apart precisely with a sword, throwing ninja stars…

The “no peripheral” part.

Wii = Peripheral with accelerometers, and camera looking for 2 static points of light
Wii+ = Peripheral with accelerometers, a gyro, and 2 static points of light.
SMC = Peripheral with accelerometers, a gyro, and a camera looking for one static point of light.
Natal = >=2 cameras, no peripheral, no gyros, no static points of light, and really cool software.

They aren’t all directly comparable.

Which improves gaming how?

The PSP Go is selling for 2 F’ing fifty?? Does it come with a voucher for a BJ from Jessica Biel herself? Because if it doesn’t, that’s too much, especially given that it’s losing the optical drive. Yeah, it’s cool that it does the slidey thing with the screen, but big deal.

It should’ve been 199… but yeah.

It’s not unfounded Sony Hate, it’s just simple math. After searching through patent applications this is the closest I got, the patent for a Sony break-apart controller that would use ultrasound for depth-finding. This is much more mathematically plausible, but was not exactly what was shown on the floor.

In comparison to the Wii+ the SMC will offer superior dead reckoning positional data (assuming it runs a gyro AND accelerometers) when the sensor-ball/sensor-lights are not in view.

However, unless you glue a controller to your feet you can’t capture that input with a gyro-accelerometer solution.

Do you know what API means?

Application programming interface. I think you’re losing track of which thread you’re posting in.

Still waiting to hear what makes no peripheral cool for gaming.

Great post, I agree with most everything. I don’t understand the crazy, infantile Sony contempt of this community. Look at the poll results so far, about 3-4 times as many people think MS had the greatest conference. That’s fine if the games MS showed appealed more to you, but there really is an enormous imbalance.

You were reading the press conference thread and every time a game was shown, people were shouting stuff like “Yeah but WILL IT RUN ON A SLIM 299 $ GAMING SYSTEM SONY? HUH? HUH??” So what if the system is more expensive now, there comes a time when hammering the same two-three bullet points all over the place is just silly.

I find it somewhat lame that the PSP Go is at 250$, but I guess they think that most of the tech-savvy consumers who will buy the systems and pay for games on the PlayStation Store with their credit card will have slightly higher revenue than average.

Thankfully it does seem that this forum can ultimately appreciate great PS3 games when they actually get their hands on them, as based on the overwhelmingly positive impressions of Uncharted, Valkyria Chronicles, Demon’s Souls and others.

I think most people agree that they liked the games sony showed, otherwise they wouldn’t ask for a pricecut.

If you were to be given a box of crayons, and one had 300 crayons in it, and the other had 7000 crayons in it, which box of crayons would allow for more kinds of drawings?

If the 300 crayons come with paper and the 7000 don’t? 300.

Penny Arcades take on the nintendo conference

Remember that bit where I asked you what an API was? Think about it.

Do you know what a metaphor is?

Somewhere around, some might say just outside of 4?

Plus Sony’s 250$ price tag is hilarious.

Give me a break. They have an overpriced system, a joke of an online service, and their supposedly super-powered system has never once shown us anything that wouldn’t have been possible on their competitor. The motion control device shown has some cool potential applications, but it still requires the peripheral to be in its sight to function properly. The Wii Motion Plus doesn’t have this problem, and Natal doesn’t even require you to hold anything. And yes, Natal does work.

As for the gaming applications of Natal? Really? You have to ask that? I’ll say right now that I have shifted my hopes for a lightsaber game to the PS3, because that device is best suited for it, but if you don’t see the potential in what Natal offers, I don’t know what to tell you.

Calling the online service a joke is pretty harsh. I’m actually really happy with PSN and some of it’s exclusive offerings, something I didn’t expect when I bought the console. Flower, Burn Zombie Burn and the upcoming Fat Princess and Pixel Junk Shooter, just to name a few. It helps that all this is simple and free to share with friends, something that I understand isn’t as easy or possible on Live.

The chat service is a slap in the face, though, no argument there. Guys, guys, we got text chat! Guys!