Who won the VP debate?

The thought of Palin being the commander-in-chief of the American Armed Forces sends shivers down my spine.

Maybe you need to read up on the party platforms. Here. Let me help you.

The 2008 Republican Platform:

We call for a constitutional amendment that fully protects marriage as a union of a man and a woman, so that judges cannot make other arrangements equivalent to it.

A Republican Congress enacted the Defense of Marriage Act, affirming the right of states not to recognize same sex ‘marriages’ licensed in other states. Unbelievably, the Democratic Party has now pledged to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act, which would subject every state to the redefinition of marriage by a judge without ever allowing the people to vote on the matter. We also urge Congress to use its Article III, Section 2 power to prevent activist federal judges from imposing upon the rest of the nation the judicial activism in Massachusetts and California.

The 2008 Democratic Platform:

We support the full inclusion of all families, including same-sex couples, in the life of our nation, and support equal responsibility, benefits, and protections.

We oppose the Defense of Marriage Act and all attempts to use this issue to divide us.

If anything, Republicans should be outraged that Palin’s stance on same sex unions is the same as the Democratic Party’s and Biden and Obama’s. IE - Marriage is a religious institution, but same sex unions should be legal and granted the same rights and benefits.

Full rights under law is something I’ve always advocated; I guess I am a Democrat. And, like Obama/Biden, I don’t think same-sex unions can be called marriage. Damn, I guess I do agree with Obama on something.

I watched the debate in a crowded bar (I’m in Oakland so it was probably about 99.9% lefties in the crowd) and the whole place groaned and hissed loudly when Biden made those remarks. But when Palin was talking about how she would “tolerate” people and the lifestyle they “chose”, it got about the same response.

I tend to agree with the conventional wisdom. Palin did fine by her base and she didn’t screw up too badly given her base doesn’t care what her answers are so long as she doesn’t come off completely like an idiot. Which she didn’t.

But Biden won on substance which, oddly enough, the general public is paying attention to this time around. Polls are showing this.

Indeed, the financial crisis (and perhaps other factors) seems to have awakened an attentiveness in the electorate not seen in some time.

I’m such a Maverick!!!

Glad you guys are voting. Good to see you’re taking part in the process.

Hopefully we get the Megan Fox/Jessica Alba ticket next year just for folks like you.

Is it me, or is Maverick one of those words that seem way less impressive when you start saying it about yourself?

Midnight Son will now wink at the camera.

Fuck. My hand is fucked up right now (tendonitis + wrist brace) and I accidentally voted for Palin in the poll. The only time she’ll get my vote.

And yes, the word “maverick” has become severely devalued. I can call Daniel Day Lewis an awesome actor, but it definitely wouldn’t mean the same thing if Daniel Day Lewis started calling Daniel Day Lewis an awesome actor.

You forget - Rush, Hewitt, Hannity (at least twice more), that terrible FOX Morning show, uhhh…every local right wing AM talk show host ripping off Rush Limbaugh (that would be Lars Larson here in Orygun). I wonder if she will dare O’Rielly? To his credit, I doubt it.

Sort of both shifted didn’t they? The democrats have pretty decided to not push the “marriage” title, but let the gays have “civil unions” that are marriage in everything but name, and the GOP still tries, but not as much, to scare dumb people with the idea of Adam and Steve getting hitched.

I think Daniel Day Lewis could pull it off actually.

It was around the time that Clay Aiken came out.

You people who are accidentally clicking the choice you didn’t mean . . . I hope you don’t work in a nuclear power plant, or anything.

After thinking about it, I’m going to call it a draw for these reasons:

• neither side advanced their position
  • neither side weakened their position
  • neither side scored any big game-changing plans
  • Someone who was going to vote for a ticket probably didn’t change their mind
  • Independents are likely to be moved in either direction.

I think Biden scored more points, but it was more like a late-season game that didn’t affect the standings.

Nah, video game publisher. You’re safe. My mis-clicks can cause you no harm.

Shit, I accidentally greenlit a video game version of P.S. I Love You. Fuck.

In my defense, I would actually finish a cup of coffee before starting my shift.

300 meets Karate Kid meets Watchmen.

It’s the ultimate crossover game.

I like it!