Why can't I stop listening to Queen all of a sudden?

Fuck Highlander, FLASH GORDON.

I love the brief synopsis of Highlander my cable company use to describe it: “A New Yorker beheads a swordsman in a parking lot, continuing a battle of immortals.”

The retail version adds: “…Music by Queen.”

That’s really all you need to know about it.

Was it The Muppets?

And, Fuck Yeah, Flash Gordon!

KingoftheImpossible!

I loved that movie (and the song). Somehow I don’t think it will hold up nearly 30 years later, but only one way to tell. Welcome to #1 in my netflix queue Mr. Gordon.

Actually, I meant I was running out of chances.

Epic fail on all counts.

Goddamn IRON FUCKING EAGLE bitches!!!

Sadly Wayne’s World ruined Bohemian Rhapsody for me forever, only song I can’t stand, not even once.

LIAR!

Unless you plan on living only to 41, maybe.

The Game (1979) is one of the first albums I ever bought and even though I like Queen, I never did buy any of their other albums. Watch any concert footage, though, and you can see what an incredible presence Freddie Mercury was. Songs like “Radio Gaga” shouldn’t work but somehow do. Even the weird Metropolis video of the song works.

I agree that some of their best-known music (“We are the champions”) is overplayed, even today. Shame that Mercury died so young, he had a great voice.

Ready for it? I also don’t like Highlander.

The Muppets clip above redeems it.

Well, you are just all sorts of broken…

If being broken means not having to sit through Christopher Lambert movies, I’m OK with that.

I’m slightly disappointed that this thread isn’t just a series of vaguely interlinked Queen lines. Even though I’m not that big a fan of them, I appreciate they’re good, and I’m only 24, so no doubt my time will come. Thing is, my parents used to put them on on car trips to see my nan, and in those days I spent most of journeys longer than ten minutes either feeling or being violently car sick. For me, Queen are forever and totally undeservedly associated with the feeling of bile rising in the back of my throat. Kinda tough to shake that.

I think Neil Gaiman actually came up with the concept that all cassette tapes left in a car for a certain period turn into Queen albums. Might just be a British thing, but it is nevertheless objectively true.

Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, in Good Omens. I suspect Neil was actually the one who came up with the idea; it seems a very Gaiman thing.

“Admittedly (Crowley) was listening to a Best of Queen tape, but no conclusions should be drawn from this because all tapes left in a car for more than about a fortnight metamorphose into Best of Queen albums. No particularly demonic thoughts were going through his head. In fact, he was currently wondering vaguely who Moey and Chandon were.”

http://goodomenslexicon.org/entries/moetandchandon.php

Funnily enough, this references Killer Queen, the same song you quoted in your title. :)

Ready for it? I also don’t like Highlander.

I’m not wild about it either. Flash Gordon also sucks. It has tons of nerd cred for some reason but I can’t sit through it. So horrible.

BLASPHEMY! Flash Gordon is unmitigated awesome for one reason alone:

Queen has some great songs and I agree with the “everyone is a Queen fan at some point” principle.

I’m finding it hard to believe that some of you actually dislike the unmistakable bass riff of Another One Bites the Dust and the driving spirited stomp-clap of We Will Rock You. Hell Ive been to a million sporting events and heard them both a million times and STILL can’t help but sing along in my head. Rock classics.

Live at Wembley is an amazing concert and everyone should see it at least once - Freddie really was in his prime as a performer in 86.

Freddie Mercury was very possibly the most talented vocalist of any stripe of his generation. He’s goddamn amazing.

Also, Queen rocks even if I’ve never dug past their (many) greatest hits.

I’m with madkevin on Highlander, though. What a terrible movie. It’s like Blade, but with shittier action and no (unintentionally?) hilarious one-liners.

“Some motherfucker always trying to ice-skate uphill.” drop-kicks vampire-explody-juice into super-vampire’s forehead

Another One Bites the Dust: It’s not that I don’t recognize its genius, or bob my head along with the bass riff just like everyone else. I just hate the fact that I can’t get that song out of my head for hours at a time. Unlike any other song ever, that song just has a quality of drilling into my head and never wanting to come out. It was especially detrimental during one particular Finals Week in college when I really couldn’t afford to have Another One Bites the Dust playing in my head over and over and over.