Wildermyth

You gave it a try ;D

It was brief but did happen!

Was just watching some gameplay of Yaengard and it reminds me quite a bit of Wildermyth. It has a more roguelike structure vs the multiple campaigns. The event system gives characters different attribute ratings (e.g. noble, chaotic, cold, etc.) that you can see before choosing an option. These move you along tracks for each attribute that give the characters different perks. Seems pretty neat.

This thread bump reminds me - I asked about the Switch port if it’s still coming on Twitter and someone that runs their account got back to me that they are aiming to release this year yet - very exciting. I didn’t play this as much as it deserved when it dropped, just too many other things at the time, and that trend with other great things to play continues - but putting it on the Switch will give me a lot of free time with it.

Wow, that is unexpected, and it would be such a good fit.

So I’ve played through the 3-chapter introductory campaign and enjoyed it quite a bit.
I had 12 LPs at the end, so I was able to promote two legacy characters, my warrior and my archer.

I did find the tactical maps a little hard to read, and I wish they rotated more freely. I can get them to spin about 60 degrees in each direction, maybe? And I sometimes have a little trouble seeing where corruption is, or seeing tooltips on some terrain items. Still, I enjoy the charming paper cut-out art style, and I am gradually getting used to the UI.

Now I’m wondering: if I recruit my promoted legacy heroes (or other legacy characters) in my next campaign, do I run any risk of losing them from my legacy if they die during the new campaign? I think I’ve read that you can bury them to keep them in your legacy, but I’m not sure. I’ve grown quite fond of them.

I’m so old this is what I thought of:

Lol. I still own hundreds of LPs. Yer not taking away my vinyl Abbey Road.

I was intrigued enough to pick up Yaengard, and it looks really good, and the basic gameplay seems simple. But from what I am experiencing, it lacks agency, you just automatically lose. Each character has 3 stamina, and if a character ever runs out, you are totally screwed. But everything costs a stamina, even refusing to buy anything at a store. And since you face situation after situation, with no option to regain stamina…

Not sure if I am missing something, or simply not onboard with conventions of the rogue-like genre. But it’s disappointing because the overall systems look great.

I haven’t picked it up yet, so I don’t know. Is that your question at the top of the Steam discussions?

This seems helpful, potentially:

I am realizing that enemy might is not the huge deal that I thought it was, so I am going to the inn more, as well as realizing that combat encounters do not take stamina and provide some healing. The loot is better too.

So my rule of thumb: Take combat encounters without fear, occasionally do the other type of encounters but do not make it a habit as it will wear your characters out. Go to the inn, its better than risking stamina problems. Combat encounters = Loot. Do them.

Yes.

My problems are coming before I ever reach an inn. If there is a mechanic to choose whether to go to the inn or not, I have either missed it or I am too early in the game.

Edit: I am an idiot. It says on the screen “Find an Inn.” I read that as being my quest at this point of the game. Instead, it is a button to choose to go to an inn after the next encounter.

You are definitely not the first to think that.

First DLC announced:

I’m glad this is still being supported, but I kind of wish the first expansion was a bit more substantial. I like the game and especially the storytelling, but got put off by the repetitive and shallow combat as well as the story element recycling. I know there have been several patches that added new stuff, perhaps I should give it another look, but I was hoping the first DLC would do more to address my issues.

horse armor but make it indie

It’s not quite that bad, simply because of the way equipment works in Wildermyth. It’s rare stuff, not interchangeable, so these are more like new skills and abilities for your characters than just new aesthetics. Still, not what I was hoping for.

So keen on a Wildermyth DLC, but this is mostly cosmetic yeah? Was hoping for more story stuff.

Awesome - thanks for the heads up here.

I see its priced at 4.95, which is excellent!

Which you have been getting for free over the past years since release.

But I wanted to pay for a big bunch of it in one hit!

The description says the new armors also bring new stats and mechanics, so it’s not cosmetic only, though there’s a cosmetic side to the DLC as well. But no story content, apparently.