Wildermyth

I’ve finally been spending some time with this game in recent days. It’s really great! Highly recommended for those who still haven’t tried it.

I want all different writers and artists and animators to do the same game only totally different. The writing frequently doesn’t click with me… too lyrical, flowery, or self-consciously artistic. The cartoony graphics and hoppity-hopping units work for the game’s PG tone but I would also like a little blood and grit and PG-13 / R-rated content too.

I don’t think I’ve ever played a game that I like so much in the mechanics but wish was completely different stylistically. Hopefully some game designers have taken inspiration from Wildermyth and we’ll see more games like it in the future.

So I played this a few years back, just chapter 1, and loved it. One of my all-time favourites and I’ve no idea why I haven’t played more. Anyway, I want to rectify that, but had a question or two before returning to it.

In the first chapter, one of my main characters died, heroically saving her friends. We wrapped up chapter 1 and under ‘My Legacy’, I see my fallen hero without any record of her dying. So she’s a Legacy Hero now and under her name there’s a ‘Playable’ toggle box. I feel like her story has ended and she shouldn’t be playable any more so I’ve un-toggled that, but I’ve noticed this:

‘Your hero as they will be (minus abilities) when brought into a new campaign.’

I like the idea of the other ‘Playable’ Legacy Heroes turning up in other campaigns but preferably not as fresh new, young, recruits, as if their past deeds didn’t happen (or alternatively their current deeds had no bearing on chapter 1). I feel like they should carry on as they were but I’m not sure of the chronology of the chapters. Without spoiling anything, should I keep the (alive) characters as playable or roll with self-contained chapters and new characters each time? I suppose I just want to maintain a feeling of continuity and honouring what happened before. As you can tell I got quite attached to these characters’ stories!

Here’s Glenla:

This game gets a lot of praise here, and I was always expecting it to show up on Humble Bundles, but it still hasn’t. I guess it’s good enough that they don’t need to put it on a deep sale. I wonder if I should finally give up on it showing in a Humble Choice bundle?

@geggis I’d keep alive players as playable. Generally, i start new campaigns with new characters, unless playing legacy campaigns - this is where to use those hero characters again.

@Rock8man I’d just get it, the game is delightful enough at full price, and well worth it. They’ve also supported it well, post launch, with lots of little updates and improvements.

Also, it’s only $17.50 now anyways…i know its not deep discount, but at 50% thats only like $5 more

It is 45% off in a few stores atm, like Fanatical, Gamebillet, IndieGala. :)

Though it may be worth paying the few extra dollars on Steam in case you want to refund. No excuse, @Rock8man!

I think it counts as a strategy game, so it falls under my 10 year pause on strategy games, which runs out in 2025. So as long as I get it in 2025 or before 2025, it will be ready for me when my moratorium on strategy games runs out. This might be near the top of my list to try out.

Wow ok, so there is an excuse! ;)

It’s a turn-based tactical RPG. One can technically use tactics without strategy and vice versa!

It was in a bundle that ended three days ago!

Oh no! That sounded perfect!

These games were include:

Disco Elysium: The Final Cut
Wildermyth
Chivalry 2
Spiritfarer: Farewell Edition
GRIME
The Forgotten City
Paradise Killer

I can see why I glossed over it, since it’s mostly games on my Xbox wishlist or were in previous Choice bundles. I didn’t realize Wildermyth was in there.

Wow, that was a great bundle!

And thanks @pyrhic!

I won’t mind returning to Wildermyth for a campaign. I quite enjoyed the game even if the combat was a little bit janky.

You and me both!

I’m not sold on the idea of a node-based challenge mode, but that’s probably because I liked the basic overworld gameplay in Wildermyth: it was just enough overworlding, without overstaying its welcome. I think I’d miss it if it were replaced with the usual FTL/Slay the Spire node map. But let’s see how it plays and let’s sample this new “Omenroad” campaign.

May 16? Calendar marked!

This is a good excuse to die out up on the Steam Deck to see how well it works. Calendar marked!

I have the exact same concern, but I also take some solace from the implication in the description that this will infuse lots of new maps, events, critters, and equipment into the base campaigns as well. So if the new format’s not for me, I can play the old one with extra stuff, and that’s pretty good too.