Wildermyth

lol I know you well enough to know you’ll be playing this game. BTW I havent played the final version only early access. Now i wish i had not.

Did the same thing on my first 5 chapter game. It was a bit brutal but managed to finish strong.

I finished the first campaign and at the end the game prompted me to select one character for a legacy promotion, which I did. Now I started a new campaign and I don’t see any way to import that character or anything else from the first go round Dash is there something I missed?

That’s a legacy character - in fact all the characters you finished the first campaign with are legacy characters (see “My Legacy” off the main menu), the one you promoted is just higher legacy tier. If you want to start a new game with your legacy characters, you need to start a legacy campaign. Alternatively, you can bring legacy characters into your current game when recruitment opportunities pop up, it’ll just cost you legacy points.

https://wildermyth.com/wiki/index.php?title=Legacy

Heroes are added to your legacy when they retire, when you build a tomb for them, or when they survive a victorious campaign. Legacy heroes can be recruited in subsequent games instead of new random farmers by paying extra legacy points depending on their legacy tier.

The hero will be imported without any augment, while the rest of the equipment will be scaled down according to the number of the chapter: armors and weapons will decrease their tier, off-hand objects may disappear. The elemental properties of the weapons will be maintained. Unique items may be converted to their normal version.

The higher a hero’s legacy tier, the more abilities they can come back into the game with.

Thank you for the information and the link!

The wiki is really helpful for a lot of things (and sometimes a bit lacking on others). There’s a (small and easy to miss) wiki button in-game that will often take you to the appropriate help page.

So, good news for past me and any other new players that find themselves in this situation - the game does cut you a bit of a break. First off, retiring characters always(?) impart knowledge to the new generation, giving a fraction of their XP (it does seem to be proportional to their own level in my limited experience) to one of your younger heroes. If, like me, you have a boatload of retirements, you can have characters starting at level 2-4. Also, and I’m not sure about the particulars, but it seems to be more generous with the kids when you’re short handed. So, I enter the fifth chapter with 5 characters, none lower than level 2, and all decently equipped. Not great, but not the disaster I was fearing.

As I said upthread, this game has that kind of DM that wants you to have fun. ;-)

I wouldn’t go quite that far, but it clearly wants you to have a chance. I’ve been trying to suss out whether some of these are hard rules or not - there are times it would be nice to be able to plan around likely future events.

Anyway, still really enjoying the game. Have you played a legacy campaign? Other than being able to use past characters right from the get-go, is there anything else that distinguishes it?

I’m only on chapter 3 of my 2nd campaign, but so far it is all quite easy…

As interactive fiction it’s by far the best experience I’ve had.

As a tactical combat simulator, a bit less, but then again I do okay tonnes of tactical games.

So turn up the difficulty! There are 5 settings, what are you playing at?

Default, whichever that is.

There’s your problem, that’s 2 of 5. I’ve been enjoying the pushback at 3/5 personally, YMMV. Not sure if you can change mid-campaign tho.

Does that affect the tactical combat as well?

I have 7 heroes now, 1 about to retire and 3 getting older, so 3 young ones left.

Should I be worried?

Yes. More precisely, when you start a new campaign you can independently set difficulty for combat and overworld, though obviously each affects the other.

(not being snide with the self-quote, just hard to type while holding a baby!)

What a fun story generating game, I just unleashed the vulture queen!

Same! Was really cool, thinking about what that meant for future stories. :D

Me too, so a good story hook then!

edit: and one of my characters was approached by a tortoise to become a guardian after death!

edit: he became a golden fox in the epilogue. Also, the game finally threw a mission at me where I had to really think in order to win. There were at one point about 24 enemy units on the screen, activating splinter salvo felt ever so good.

I have a gripe with how the game auto selects your next unit, and also how double clicking on a unit doesn’t take you to them.

I have purchased but not yet played Wildermyth, and I am intentionally avoiding spoilers – I’m not un-blurring anything in this thread – but I will say that I’m repeatedly catching glimpses of characters getting their limbs cut off and replaced by other, more powerful limbs. I don’t think this is a spoiler because there’s a giant trigger warning for it on the splash screen. (Ok, I did start it up and view the splash screen.) Which is funny because it’s such a specific and weird mechanism, and also because, what, is there no murder or death in this game? Because I didn’t see a trigger warning for that. Is that because there’s no death in the game? Isn’t death worse than getting your arm replaced by a super-powered magic tentacle? Every one of us will 100% experience death, and every one of us has been traumatized by the deaths of others. Why no warning? Again, maybe there just literally isn’t death in the game.

Characters die, but after dying remain in your legacy (unless you take affirmative measures to prevent that) so remain playable on subsequent campaigns.

To me, the game is awesome because it’s not playing the story of a party, but sort of somewhere between playing a mythology builder and a set of stories being told by a storyteller to a next generation. So the characters returning from previous adventures is meaningful, and I can imagine for example when starting a procedural legacy campaign that there’s an 8-year old somewhere asking their grampa, ‘tell me a story about Isa and her daughter Grayl’. The characters having been generated from a previous campaign, etc. Then later, ‘but why didn’t Isa just [use skill]’, ‘Well, remember, this was before she teamed up with Mordac so she hadn’t learned it yet’.

I find it really special, and the art works really well for me, for this game.