Windows 10

I can’t believe in 2017 “saving your work” is still a thing we have to worry about. Every app should be saving my progress automatically at all times. Hell, Microsoft Office on iPad does that, but for some reason on Windows you still have to press that damn disk icon.

One of my favorite features, actually. Computer turns itself on, updates, reboots if needed, turns itself off. Makes updating basically transparent to me. That said, if you disallow wake timers that “should” (I’ve seen some motherboard/driver wonkiness around ACPI) disable the feature as well.

I guess that might work if your computer is sleeping at the time, but I wouldn’t chance it. Use winaero tweaker, which definitely works.

And yes, it’s infuriating that Windows ignores the policy specifically designed to control rebooting after updates.

This tweet made me laughed out loud:

Windows: “hi, I rebooted last night, all your work is gone lolz”

Me: “Reboot now plz”
Windows: “I can’t, Excel is running.”

Finally installed Creator’s Update after the drama back in April when it slowed my wireless networking to a crawl and I had to revert.

It did not go smoothly.

TL;DR - something conflicts between Nvidia’s drivers and DuetDisplay, a nifty piece of software that lets me use a tethered iPad as a second display at full resolution and 60Hz. But it took a couple hours of Safe Mode reboots and unplugging all my USB devices and uninstalling/reinstalling Nvidia drivers to figure that out. The OS would boot fine but then stop at a black screen with the spinning dots. I could see my mouse cursor but that’s it. The internet was full of various causes of this problem, but nothing fixed it until I discovered the issue with DuetDisplay.

But phew. Finally got it working by booting into Safe Mode, clean uninstalling all the Nvidia stuff, then rebooting into normal windows and uninstalling DuetDisplay (because for some reason you can’t uninstall some things from Safe Mode). Then I reinstalled the Nvidia drivers and all was good.

Except not quite. Turns out Microsoft still hasn’t fixed the problem with slow wi-fi. Luckily in the months since I last tried a fix had been found with newer Realtek wi-fi chip drivers, which just took a download and install and fixed. Didn’t even have to reboot.

But jesus, I can’t imagine what a non tech-savvy person would do. Probably take it to Geek Squad and pay hundreds of dollars, or just throw the damn thing away and start from scratch.

I really like Windows 10 a lot, but that was crazy.

My personal feeling is that Win10 has some actual UX designers that have actual weight in the product, and that’s fantastic.

And Win10 also has waaaaaaaaaaay too many director-level biznass analysts and such who have way too much weight, because XYZ has to be a Revenue Source Moving Forward that Leverages the Existing Userbase.

At least Apple more or less says to the consumer, “Look. This all costs way too much, to a totally stupid extreme. Ha, ha, yeah, shut up. But that’s the deal. Give us the money, and we’ll take care of you.”

Whether or not Apple fulfills its side of the ‘bargain’ is a whole nother thing, but that’s the proposition to the consumer, and I absolutely see the appeal.

Interesting, does DuetDisplay require in install of iTunes?

No. It’s a stand-alone app on Windows and then an app on the iOS device. Very simple to make it work. I think it just makes the iPad act like a USB display.

DuetDisplay requires a special dongle, don’t it?

Interesting - I remember this app from a couple of years ago. Back then, they require a Lightning to Thunderbolt cable /dongle in order to achieve a lag free mirroring display. But it seems they are able to achieve this just on a normal Lightning and USB cable (the same one that you use to charge the iPad). This made it very convenient as you don’t have to carry extra cable.

How good an experience it is for Windows? Does it work well in a scenario of playing games in the main monitor while the iPad shows all the chat windows and system monitoring stuff (CPU temp, GPU temp, usage, framerates etc?)

Yes, this was how I was occasionally using it. I have a single ultra-widescreen monitor, so when I play games on it I could hook up an iPad and have other things there, like browsers, movies, etc. It worked flawlessly - 60Hz, though I set the resolution lower than native since it made everything look so small.

…took a gamble and reinstalled the latest DuetDisplay and everything appears to work! But boy, that was touch and go last night.

Bought DuetDisplay - lovin’ it. But somehow the resolution is fixed at 1024x768. I can’t change it bigger. Even then the screen looked small compare to the main monitor. Anyway, pretty happy with it!

If you left-click the tray icon in Windows 10 it should bring up a settings screen that lets you change the resolution. I have mine at 1536x1152 and it seems to be a nice happy medium.

OMG… I was RIGHT-clicking instead of left Clicking! I’m dumb!

Yeah, DuetDisplay’s Mac support is way more solid than its PC support. I’ve had to uninstall it it a few times from my PC when Nvidia’s updated their drivers and then try again after the DD people update their app. Never had a problem on my MacBook Pro with it.

Another fun problem with the Creator’s Update! Apparently I have to choose between having Bluetooth functionality or using iTunes. Luckily for me it’s an easy choice since I don’t have any bluetooth hardware, but really guys?

iTunes not starting after WIN 10 Creators Update

It says you can run iTunes as an administrator and it would work.

Still, I believe you can get iTunes on the windows store, and it should run.

Anyway, why run iTunes at all?

I have a USB Bluetooth 4.0 dongle thingy and it works fine with iTunes and Windows Creator Update though.

Is there any point at which I should get concerned about the fact that I’m not having the Creators Update pushed on me? I mean, I’m in no particular rush, but a) if there’s some incompatibility in my hardware that’s preventing it I’d kind of like to know, as it may be affecting my existing build, and b) presumably at some point 1607 will actually be obsolete.