Windows 10

I think the question you need to ask yourself is, are you truly a creator worthy of an update?

There was one laptop at work (identical to another 14) that wouldn’t grab the update, although I approved it through WSUS and WSUS reported it was needed by that system. I downloaded it manually and attempted an install but it failed at some point and rolled back. I then disabled Symantec’s EndPoint Protection and retried and it went ahead without a hitch. Not sure why it wasn’t being offered to that laptop over any other (since they were all new) but it might have been the timing.

So, I’d recommend giving the download a try if you are eager for it. If it fails, that might give you more clues as to what’s holding it back.

Thought I’d check, but did anyone else notice that Win7 and 8.1 computers are being offered the Win10 upgrade again? It just popped up in WSUS for a set of computers still on the OSes at work. It’s the Creators Update that’s being offered so it’s a new push.

yeah I noticed two months ago that Win7/8 keys worked for a new install of 10.

My brand new 64GB exFAT-formatted flash drive (yeah, I got a new one. Don’t ask) was completely invisible to my Win10 PC on any USB port–didn’t even show up as a problematic item in Device Manager.

Reformatted it to NTFS via another (also Win10) PC and it shows up just fine on the first one now.

What gives??

But oddly, these systems were never offered the Win10 upgrade at any point in the past since the free update went away. Now they are. Something changed recently (and I mean within the last week) to allow that, no? I keep on top of the WSUS approval/declines that aren’t automated, so I would have caught this at any other time.

Sure, some component in your computers wasn’t compatible, and now it is.

Oh, are you saying that the free upgrade has always been available through Windows Update? I thought it was removed after the ‘free’ period was up and that the only way to get it was to download and install it manually. That’s why I was surprised to see it offered again. Or was it common knowledge that I missed that it had started to be offered through Windows Update again?

I didn’t catch that part of your post. I’m not aware of the Win10 upgrade being available through windows update anymore, no. Win7/8/8.1 keys still work, though.

Here’s a funny thing that happened quite often. Even though I have one of the latest PC now with a bad ass Samsung EVO m.2, but because Win 10 just love to do it’s own update when rebooting after a proper shutdown (and it seemed to be doing this quite often), I find myself waiting for around 30-40 second for the PC to boot, reminiscence of 15 years ago when I would be going to make coffee while Windows were booting. So, how are we being state of the art these days? :->

You can see below the newly added upgrade to Windows Update. The systems it wants to install on are all confirmed Win7 PCs, some of which couldn’t be upgraded if I wanted to (don’t have the hard drive space). Fortunately, a bunch of those are slated for retirement in the next month.

Win10 Upgrade 2

Ok finally took the plunge and got the creators update. It is like back to Win 95 days, you have to pray to Bill Gates that nothing bad will happen, instead of knowing that everything will go smoothly like in Win 7. So far there is no problem, but we will see.

Good article.

If MS cared about privacy they’d allow home and pro users to disable telemetry. Their smugness and arrogance are truly offputting.

“Privacy Officer” indeed. It’s like putting the anti-environment guy in charge of the EPA. They think we’re all easily led fools.

It’s nothing like that.

More lies from Microsoft I gather. Nice that the Register been holding them to task for it ever since their scheme was introduced.

That + Updates is only thing holding me off installing it… well, and the Windows Store I guess.

Was hoping they’d change their tune after a while, but looks like Windows 8.1 will be my last windows OS - time to brush up my Linux’ing, maybe 2020 will be the year of Linux on the Desktop.

Sadly you have no choice if you’re a gamer.

Well, there is a choice: If everyone stayed on Win8.1. MS would either have to change strategy (as they tend to) or lose that market. Sadly, only 30% give a fuck, apparently.

If only more games worked with Vulkan then at least they’d be able to render properly on Linux/SteamOS/Mac, no?
I guess with future kickstarters there’s always the option of only going for it if they offer a linux version.

I’d never really consider a Mac, but if the alternative is Windows 10, fuck it, it would be like voting for Trump because you hated Hillary, really. Which makes Windows 8.1 Bernie…

I installed Mint Linux 18 on my two Windows 10 laptops a few months back and haven’t looked back. I primarily use the laptops for web stuff and Linux addresses all of the issues I had with Windows (lack of privacy, so-so security and CONSTANT updates mostly). I booted into Windows a couple of weeks back to just get the latest updates and it took over three hours to install them. Was so sweet to just boot back into Linux afterwards.

The only computer I still regularly use Windows on is my desktop which is used primarily for gaming. I hope Linux continues to make slow and steady progress at wider adoption.

You can actually play windows games in linux with near zero performance impact these days, but you need to actually run windows virtualized to do it so it’s more of an academic “hey this is pretty cool” thing and not particularly useful.

It would be groovy if Vulkan took off. But it isn’t supported on Xbone, PS4, or MacOS-- Apple wants you to use Metal instead.

Yea, I’ve run a few games in VMs already (for multiboxing).

Except for all those shitty games that have some sort of enforcement/restriction-tech that doesn’t run in a VM. But I
guess you can always buy it, then crack it (sort of defeating the purpose + supporting something you’re actively fighting) and you’d mostly get it running.

Was considering just getting Vmware Workstation (11?) to run Windows 10 on, but I see it doesn’t as of yet support DX12 and DX11 is shoddy as far as I know. Luckily there’s not much DX12 stuff out there and what is, also works on 9/11. I guess we’ll see how many holdouts there are left once a “must have” title appears that only runs on Windows X. Feel a bit like the resistance guys in The Strain, season 4, after the strigoi have taken over. Will keep on fighting, even if the battle is lost. Wonder if you can get a game running in Docker on Win10.