Windows 10

Full telemetry can even send the contents of your documents after a crash. That’s a huge problem if your business has it enabled.

Yeesh. We’re doing an “upgrade” over here in the near future, and I hope the appropriate people are aware.

Thanks for the info, I thought I had everything turned off in Win10 and a few Google searches revealed that I did not…

So the .NET 4.7 update (KB3186568) breaks DPI scaling. Cool. They say it will be fixed in 4.7.1. I the meantime, I guess, I’ll try to update these apps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4012107/an-empty-form-is-not-scaled-to-the-new-level-when-you-run-a-dpi-aware

Edit - meh, updates were either not available or did not fix it.

Upgrading to the Creator’s Edition fixed the DPI scaling, but now my sound is fucked up. I installed the latest RealTek drivers and fucking with the RealTek equalizer gets it close to where it was before, but it’s still off.

I was already on Creator’s Edition, and got burned by not disabling Windows automated driver updates. Ugh. A couple of weeks ago I bought one of the new Creative Soundblaster cards. Putting aside whether it’s worth the money over integrated audio, everything was working fine. I had to use the SB software to toggle output between my speakers and my headphones.

One evening, poof, no audio from the speakers. Only headphones. SB software is also telling me I don’t have anything connected to the speaker port. Tried a ton of fixes including updating the SB software as a new version had just been released a few days earlier. No good. Anyway, I got as far as opening a ticket w SB thinking I’d have to RMA before it occurred to me, oh yeah… Windows 10. I checked driver versions, and yup, Win 10 had replaced it.

I uninstalled the card, disabled driver updates on Win 10 Pro via local policy, then reinstalled. Everything works fine now.

Automated driver updates are the freaking worst.

The worst to me is that often they actually downgrade your driver, because they don’t have the new drivers in the windows driver database they are working with. So you get in a cycle of upgrade/downgrade/upgrade because windows can’t leave your shit alone.

I mostly switched to using a USB solution for audio these days. I don’t have the patience to deal with whatever driver issues Microsoft and/or Realtek introduce. I wasted a weekend trying to get my headset microphone to work. Bought this $7 adapter and it works great.

I agree the default behavior is annoying, but unlike the telemetry, MS allows you to fix it. Just turn off automatic driver updates.

I did that, but one of the major updates reset it and broke my sound before I went to go on a conference call and discovered it.

Ahh. Yeah, that sucks.

I was particularly happy with a forced video driver update while I was playing a game. That was real damn special.

Finally allowed 1703 to go through on my laptop, though lately I haven’t been using it, but will be traveling, so its back on the menu.

OneNote (desktop version) immediately starts crashing on open. Cleared cache and settings, now it crashes when trying to use the Open Notebook menu. Joy.

EDIT: Works if I log out of OneDrive. Too bad my notebooks are on OneDrive now.

App version works at least.

I have 1703, desktop OneNote (1708), and note books stored on OneDrive (17.3.6998.0830). Never experienced crashes like you’re describing.

Edge for Android and iOS betas suddenly announced and released.

I hope that means they’re finally decoupling Edge from Windows 10’s schedule. MS is never going to make any progress on the browser front if major updates happen on a six-month schedule.

Bumping for the Fall Creator’s Update, which releases tomorrow.

Also, the new Fluent Design language has been appearing in some apps over the past few months, but MS begins the process of phasing it into Windows proper. This will be a lengthy process, so don’t expect to go to the final product in one step. Sounds like this will be phased in over the course of a year or longer.

More on Fluent Design

https://fluent.microsoft.com/

And more

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/design

No indication if they’ll stop you from simply activating Windows 10 with a Win7/8/8.1 key, as that currently works too.

Frankly, I doubt they’ll actually stop either one. Microsoft desperately wants you to run Windows 10.

I’ve been using it to upgrade some work systems with a USB drive, which runs much smoother than the Windows Update version that is still offered. I’m supposing they’re turning off the digital activations, leading people to need a key to activate?

The digital activations are when you upgrade from an older version of windows. Those were disabled last year. This article is about disabling the “assistive technology” free upgrade, which still worked. But you could just install win10 with no key at all, and then input any valid win7/8/8.1 key and that would work too.

I had no idea. Well, I blew $100 for no damn reason…