I was already on Creator’s Edition, and got burned by not disabling Windows automated driver updates. Ugh. A couple of weeks ago I bought one of the new Creative Soundblaster cards. Putting aside whether it’s worth the money over integrated audio, everything was working fine. I had to use the SB software to toggle output between my speakers and my headphones.
One evening, poof, no audio from the speakers. Only headphones. SB software is also telling me I don’t have anything connected to the speaker port. Tried a ton of fixes including updating the SB software as a new version had just been released a few days earlier. No good. Anyway, I got as far as opening a ticket w SB thinking I’d have to RMA before it occurred to me, oh yeah… Windows 10. I checked driver versions, and yup, Win 10 had replaced it.
I uninstalled the card, disabled driver updates on Win 10 Pro via local policy, then reinstalled. Everything works fine now.
Automated driver updates are the freaking worst.