Windows 10

I just upgraded in place a shitbox running Windows 7 pro and it’s good to go. Never asked for a key and I never used any assist features. I also did a clean install over my 8.1 pc and just popped in my original w8 key and bingo.

Both are activated.

Yeah, I did the same a while back. It has continued to work long after they said it didn’t. No idea if this still works:

Yeah, they just disabled the webpage where you downloaded the upgrade media. You can still get the full media elsewhere and do it.

I got it from the windows upgrade tool page this last weekend.

Downloaded that and used it for the first machine and ran it again to make the USB stick for the second machine.

Okay, I could use some help here - I installed the Windows 10 fall update on my machine at work, before doing it on any others to test it.

Unfortunately, it has ruined the search function in office 2007 (I know, but thats a separate issue).

1. Search is no longer as I type - I have to press enter to get the search email function to do anything
  2. Search is just showing the same result over and over, removing them, and showing them again
  3. Its become very very slow

I tried searching a bit, and I found a few others saying they have the same issues, but of course, the update being so new and all, its not much there is to be found.

So, does anyone have any ideas on how to approach something like this? I’ve tried looking in windows for indexing and searching, but that just shows me the same old index options, or cortana, which has basically no options for me, so I am kinda stumped here.

I’d really appreciate any input!

You can do a Windows Search for Recovery and roll back the update.

Office 2007 hit end-of-life last April. Recommend you upgrade; you’re missing out on security patches.

Yesterday I finished putting fresh Windows 10 on the rest of the family’s computers using their respective Windows 7 activation codes. Thanks for the pro-tip!

Noice!

Applied the fall update a few days ago at home and on my PC at work. No major trouble so far, although I have no real use for the major new features. Also, it does seem to be the first major Win 10 update that does not re-add the Microsoft Store shortcut to my taskbar.

Yeah the last few updates have only added two things I care about, exploit protection ala EMET in Windows Defender and the GPU utilization in task manager. All the “marquee” new features are useless to me.

Off the current train of discussion, but a reinstall of Office fixed this issue I had a few months back.

Well, I got the Fall Creator’s Update yesterday. And of course it broke something, specifically sleep mode. I can put the computer to sleep, but it won’t wake back up. Did some web searching and it looks like a lot of people have the issue, but there’s no common solution. Anyone had similar problems?

Yes, got a Dell with that issue recently. Now that you mention it, it did update recently. I suspect it’s crashing either when it tries to go to sleep mode, or when it’s waking up.

I disabled sleep mode and told them to shut it down manually for now.

If it’s a Dell XPS laptop they borked their bios for awhile in regards to sleep mode. The latest upgrade fixed it for me but for awhile there I wanted to strangle Dell.

This is on my desktop, not a laptop. It’s an Alienware machine, so it is a Dell. Hasn’t been a BIOS update in years that I know of. Guess I could check, but I’d be pretty surprised if there was anything significant.

My Windows updates alternately enable and disable sleep mode. Every other update it seems to change behavior (and as of the recent update, it now goes to sleep for real when idle).

Yeah my Dell desktop does the same, appears to be working at the moment. My laptops stay down like champs.

Yep, just checked, no BIOS updates available. Probably just stuck with it until the next update. Because I can’t imagine Microsoft is busy working on it.

I’ve been shutting down my laptop every night for a while due to updates screwing with sleep.