Windows 10

Speaking of Mobile OS on Computers:

I finally got around to ordering the Schiit Fulla 2 and I wish I had done it back in January. It makes an enormous difference if you are just using the shitty head jack on the logitech Z680 amplifier. I was kind of unhappy with my Sony XBA-H1 headphones but that was really just the lack of a decent amp.

I doubt I could tell the difference between the Fulla 2 and a much more expensive model, but the difference between shit and Schiit is pretty large. Nobody would have an issue separating the two in a double blind test, that’s for sure.

Just tested it vs my XPS15 headphone jack, and it’s a much smaller difference. Pretty sure there is one, but I wouldn’t be nearly as confident with a double blind setup. That Z680 jack was obviously on it’s last legs.

Microsoft pushed out 17134 to the fast ring earlier this week, and then they pushed it to the slow ring and the release ring yesterday. This looks like it, because after you install it the message is Welcome to the April Update. Barring any kind of blocking bug, this will likely be released to the public on Tuesday.

Monday

Will they finally fix Explorer locking thumbs.db on network folders for minutes at a time, preventing them from being renamed or deleted?

Magic meatball says no.

That’s what she said

Come and get it!
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I updated a couple hours ago on my desktop and laptop. So far so good.

1803 broke my Xbox Win10 app. Just opens and closes/crashes. Even after resetting app data, removing it with DSM and reinstalling from Win10 Store and trying the beta app. No joy.

1998: Ooh, a Windows update! Can’t wait to try out the new features!
2018: Oh GREAT, a Windows update… wonder what it will break this time!

Sorry, PowerShell not DISM. Reverting to Redstone 4, the old 1803 release candidate.

It looks like my install went without a hitch.

Edit: Or maybe not. It’s looking to restart again today. We shall see.

1803 seems fine to me. I disabled the timeline and no other new features of note.

Do not forget.

1998 - Oh, an optional update, lets read the KB articles and find out what it does before installing it.
2017+ - Oh, a forced change, I see there’s a list of files that have been changed but no information (well, they added that after about 6 months (?) of complaints…) of what it contains.

After I managed to fix the 4TB drive that I’m pretty sure Windows10 hozed during chkdsk I’m afraid to boot it up again.

Also go into the privacy controls and you can adjust a lot more than before. And you can switch diagnostic data between Basic and Full.

Yeah I turned all that stuff off.

Telemetry could always be switched to Basic, but they still won’t allow you to turn it off.

Reportedly the new group policy to disable web search no longer works in Pro and Home, so every time you search locally it sends your search to Bing. However the registry edits still work, and Shutup10 will do them for you.

Or maybe they are just faking it and changing the settings has zero effect? How can we know?

As of 1803, you can look through all the telemetry the OS sends back to Microsoft yourself, in complete detail including payloads.

What you can’t do, is turn it off.

I just noticed that in the Windows 10 default mail program, I get a notice of premium options down at the bottom on the left hand pane. Is there any way to get rid of that?

Bah. Tried Skip Ahead 17655 and still no joy with Xbox apps.