Windows 10

Touchscreen UI for everyone!

I just got a notice about Windows requiring an update. I don’t use Windows 10 much. Why is this notice not in the notification area? IIRC there is also an action center somewhere. How do I get to it?

(Action Center)

In my case, my employer locks down W10 somewhat, and so some updates don’t invoke the Windows Update icon in my Notification Area or in WUP settings. But MS/Windows still knows, and will bring it to my attention when I launch the Microsoft Store app

This takes me to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/comprehensive-security?OCID=Security_int_omc_win_msstore

That UPDATE NOW button points to Windows10Upgrade28602.exe.

Sounds like a legit file name.
Also, why should you care how many other people have installed it?

What is Dolby Access, didn’t they stop making PC software? remember they had Dobly Axion (?) which was like ventrilo, only seemed a lot better.

Dolby Access is a software app that unlocks virtual surround sound codecs for playback.

Hey all, what the heck is Browser_broker.exe in the task manager details view?

Also, should I be concerned that when I noticed my PC wake from sleep spontaneously a couple of times, and used the “powercfg -devicequery wake_armed” command in an elevated cmd prompt, I found that one of the devices allowed to wake the machine is the Ethernet connection, even though I always have Wake on LAN disabled in the BIOS?

It’s part of Edge.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d8b03163-a6b5-4e54-8b67-fbaeb855b8aa/possible-bug-in-windows-wmgetdlgcode-sent-to-all-toplevel-windows-when-a-dialog-is-deactivated?forum=windowsuidevelopment

Windows Update broke my PC, stuck in boot loop. Yay.

So I noticed this - an update to the venerable Notepad so that’s its mildly more useful

I have been using Notepad++ for years, but there’s an occasional problem where the program will eat your file. E.g. it will blank the file and then save. Luckily it has only happened to me a few times.

Try Visual Studio Code. It’s been my Notepad++ replacement for a while now. :)

Is it separate from the VS main program? I like N++ because it’s lightweight, loads fast, almost feels like a portable app.

Yes, it’s a modern lightweight text editor, totally seperate from VS.

Lightweight compared to full VS, but it’s based on Atom so it’s probably a lot more of a hog than notepad++.

Edit: This criticism is not a good reason to not use it if you’re writing code, it’s an excellent code editor and a lot more lightweight than IDEs of yore.

Yeah it is basically a web app so won’t be as light and optimised as something native, but MS has put a lot of work into VS Code so it’s still far more performant than Atom. :)

Personally though for quick ‘double click’ text files I use the viewer built into Directory Opus, and VS Code otherwise. Some of it’s multi-selection tools are really sweet.

Yeah, Code is great as a text editor or lightweight IDE.

And far, far more performant than Atom. My goodness.

That’s, uh, quite a problem.

I’ve never had any such issue with N++. Maybe one of the plugins you’re using is causing a problem? I just have the basic ones installed, nothing fancy.

This last update is annoying. It killed my sound (had to reinstall old Realktek), and killed scanner software for another PC.