Windows 10

You can sync your settings and such to their cloud, and get them on multiple devices. Also if you need to reactivate your hardware, if you login with the same account it will automatically activate. No real compelling reason to do it.

Windows key is tied to it and allows for password recovery if you get locked out of your own account.

LOL, what devices? They have a few PCs, laptops and… that’s it.

Yeah, if you have a computer at home and one at work, or whatever. They also have integrations with the Edge browser and Cortana on Android and iOS. I don’t use any of that.

Is it bad if my PC is installing 1803 and 1809 at the same time? Is Windows smart enough to not screw this up? I guess I’ll find out.

1809 isn’t even a choice for me which is kind of odd since everything in this computer is only a number of months old… if I am behind on some driver… don’t know what it is.

I read something about having to manually tell the computer to check for updates. It’s not automatic.

The update took about an hour with lots of restarts. My dog freaks out every time she hears the computer beep too. :(

My desktop took 1809 just fine, and it’s a frankenstein of different parts. My Surfacebook 2, however, lost all internet connection when I upgraded. It would connect to a network, but just wouldn’t see the internet. I took it to a Microsoft store and they reinstalled the update and it worked fine, but man, that was annoying. When a system update that Microsoft forces on you breaks your computer, you know we’re just not there yet.

So some windows update broke the policy that says don’t give me web search in my start/task bar search. Sometimes I really hate this stupid company.

Took Win10 (now on 1803) 7 days to break another external hard-drive (in an usb3.x dock), at least this time I had taken precautions to avoid it running chkdsk on bootup that would’ve messed things up even further…

First time (on 170x) it killed one after a few hours, so, making progress. (also external).

Edit: The tool I used the first time a HD was killed (DMDE) saved me again though, as it was able to just ‘rewrite’ the NTFS file index from the backup and the drive was back again. Then it was also safe to run checkdisk on it.

Yikes! Your post just had me running to my PC to check my external drives. All are fine after yesterday’s update. Yeesh.

What Windows Update does break, EVERY FREAKING TIME, is my mixer. I use VoiceMeter Banana and a virtual audio cable for my recording and streaming, and every time there’s an update, I have to uninstall cable, reboot, uninstall voicemeter, reboot, reinstall cable, reboot, reinstall voicemeter, reboot.

It’s kind of maddening.

I usually just have to reassign it as the default device and it’s fine. Windows just seems to slap it back on the hardware after an update.

I wish it were that simple. Sometimes it is. But for bigger updates, gotta go through that whole rigamarole.

Only one more year of Windows 7 support left. :(

So guys, I’m having a weird problem with Windows 10. I installed a legit copy of Star Wars Galaxies the other day, and Windows is saying the directory is read only, but I can’t seem to uncheck the box, as it always comes back even after applying it. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Try running the installer/program as administrator. It generally solves compatibility issues for me for older programs in 10.

Gah, alright, I’ll try that next. Thank you.

Is the install folder under “Program Files” by any chance? If so, get it out of there. You’re probably fighting with TrustedInstaller.

Nope, it’s on a different drive entirely.

Or log in as admin when installing mods or tweaking the game.