Windows This One Goes to 11

Thanks for the reminder to make sure my Win11 updates are paused.

Is GeForce Experience recommended? I dismissed it as bloatware and opted out during Nvidia driver install, as my understanding was it just allowed for automatic driver updates and some streaming/capture tools.

This. I’m happy to move from win10 to win11 because of security improvements and because you can’t stay in the past… but only once all these performance issues stop showing up.

IIRC we had issues with NVME drives,AMD CPU s and now with GPUs.

I guess I haven’t heard any problems with RAM or motherboards so that’ll probably be next.

I had a handful of Win11 grief until I jumped ahead into the beta Insiders. Ever since it is nearly smooth sailing; I might even opt out and go back to preview builds instead of beta because it seems much more solid now than in the past. Of course, if you are sensitive to the occasional annoyance/problem, even that won’t work and better off sticking with the Win10 plan for now.

@Freezer-TPF I thought the whole GeForce Experience app was crap when it first launched and required login and the like, but then I just got used to it giving me driver update notifications and allowing me to decide if I want to install or not. I kinda like the optimization features as starting points for my game settings, too, as it’s much easier to tweak from there then from defaults sometimes.

I like to think that this GeForce Experience issue wasn’t caught in beta because anyone who partook in the beta knows you don’t install it in the first place.

I forget when I deleted it. Haven’t missed it since though.

Hey!! That’s just mean.

But really, I didn’t notice anything, likely because of the types of games I play and my lack of sensitivity to framerate drops.

We got a new PC for my kids and it came with Windows 11. One thing that keeps happening is we will get a message saying something went wrong with our pin and we have to reset it. However if we just restart the PC than it works fine. Anybody run across this before?

I’ve not noticed that particular issue, but a google search came up with the possibility that the NGC folder may be corrupted, which is where the PIN settings are stored. Perhaps a restart fixes the issue temporarily.

Here is one example of a fix: https://appuals.com/something-went-wrong-and-your-pin-isnt-available/

Consider waiting to see if anyone else has a tip, though, as I don’t have personal experience to know if this is more work than is necessary for your issue. Have you tried removing the PIN altogether and using the password to log in for a bit, then creating a new PIN later?

Yeah I saw some stuff about the NGC folder also when I googled but if that was the issue it seemed weird that it would work fine after a restart. Maybe something is happening when we log of our account it’s not recognizing permissions to the NGC folder on future logins.

I guess worst case is we just start using passwords instead of PIN’s. I’m assuming if I set that PC to password for login that my other PC will still be fine with a PIN.

So my Windows wants to update to 22H2. Is this one okay or should I wait?

I’ve been running it for a week. Seems perfectly stable - no issues. If that helps.

Tried to install it on a laptop at work as a test of how well it’d be and it failed twice with a BSOD. I’m thinking it’s a driver issue, perhaps related to that Intel known issue, but the laptop doesn’t have the exact driver version they say is the issue. I haven’t had time to research further.

My system at home running the beta insider previews performs fine, and that’s beyond 22H2 by a little bit (22622.601 vs 22621).

Thinking of getting another windows key for my steam deck so I can play Game Pass games - what’s the cheapest I can expect a legal key to be?

You can install without a key if you want to see how well it goes first.

I tried to do the 22H2 update last night and my system got caught in a boot loop. Ended up having to wipe and reinstall on my boot drive. This system has been in place upgraded for both hardware and OS since Vista, I think? So a fresh install is probably for the best.

I did this in the past week, and found that Amazon sell Win 11 Pro keys for about £15 ($15*). I assume they’re not stolen, but likely grey market at least, so it depends if you’re comfortable with that.

* Thanks go to our current govt for simplifying the currency conversion.

Awesome, thank you!

There’s that dry British humour! Cheers, mate!

RIP Cider

There was no way to watch Apple TV shows on Windows before? I assumed iTunes would do it.

Anyway iCloud photos integration is definitely new, appreciate that. Although probably not enough to run some iCloud program in the background for the rest of my life.

It’s been possible in a browser.