Windows This One Goes to 11

Just to clarify; when they say firmware, they mean BIOS.

Windows 11 is doing the thing where a Microsoft Edge shortcut will randomly show up on the desktop like it’s a fucking Annabelle doll. I caught it in the act last week and immediately noped it right into the Recycling Bin, but it’s back!

Windows 10 too. And Edge Canary as well. And not just desktop but quick access bar too. What the fuck.

That sounds like it’s being added when Edge does an update, which is fairly regular. There are registry changes you can make to make it stop; a search should find the instructions.

Personally, I keep my desktop view hidden so I see nothing but whatever background is displayed. My main display always has a window open, and I’d rather not minimize to get to my desktop, so I’ve never understood why anyone would want to use ‘desktop’ as a location for anything.

Some people use it for projects (like if I’m working on several files for photo editing), and some people have monitors so large that they very rarely actually maximize windows (like me).

And some people actually do use it for two or three hundred shortcuts.

Yeah that seems to be exactly what it is. I just got the icon yesterday. I use Edge for work almost every day and I also got a big “Edge was Updated” page when I loaded it.

It’s a relic of the 90s paradigm. Back then multitasking was a bold move with limited resources anyway.

640 x 480 should be enough for everyone.

That and 64MB RAM should last you forever!

I set my desktop to hide all icons. Looks so much cleaner, and it forces me to, you know, actually use folders as they were intended.

64MB of RAM is physically impossible to fit into a desktop PC. 640K is all you really need… forever.

So…anyone have any luck with tools like EaseUS or AOMEI that profess to be able to do conversion from MBR to GPT on drives with no data loss? Thinking about jumping up to Win11 sometime this winter, but I’m trying to avoid (too much) having to back up 700gb worth of boot/operating nvme drive to do it.

I’ve done it successfully with AOMEI several times now(Even on servers, now let’s talk about fright). Make sure to backup regardless, because that is good practice.

Cool. And yeah, I’ll back up the boot, but it’s cool to hear that it actually works!

MS adding Bing AI search in the search bar, and some other improvements. Update drops later today. But the most notable one for me is that you can now connect your iPhone to Windows.

Rest of the stuff is more MS bullshit garbage bloat but iOS access would be lovely if it actually works well.

Sounds similar to Intel’s solution, which uses Bluetooth and can’t distinguish between SMS and iMessages. Even with the limitations, it will be a nifty feature to have baked into Windows.

I couldn’t get Intel’s thing to work, likely because I run AMD and don’t use intel bluetooth. But yeah seems similar.

Yeah, it sounds like this is just a standard bluetooth implementation. Nothing special.