Windows This One Goes to 11

Android apps will run on AMD. It’s all based on VM and their existing Windows Linux subsystem.

The addition of Amazon Appstore to the Microsoft Store is not the improvement Microsoft thinks it is. It’s embiggening of the flea market. I got a couple of free apps when it launched and most of the apps on it are versions behind the Google Play versions at times or languish un-updated completely.

It is weird considering MS and Google worked closely on the Surface Duo, and that has a bunch of Google apps.

They specifically said it relies on “intel bridge technology”, whatever that is.

If you can sideload android apps on Windows, and you have root so you can, this is just a matter of Google not permitting the Google Play Store (and Google Play Services) in their licensing. You’ll be able to sideload them.

“We worked with Intel to use their Intel bridge technologies to run ARM binaries on Intel and AMD PCs.”

Now that it’s over I can find the timestamp

Well, they made me wanna be a developer, that’s for sure!

Looked like some cool stuff. :-)

Ahh, thanks for that. Good stuff.

This makes a lot more sense than two

Wait, what?

MS is requiring all OEMs that ship Windows systems to ship with tpm2.0 devices starting this year I believe. I imagine most will just use the fTPM that exists in Intel and AMD chips.

I recently found out about Ctrl+Shift+V and it has changed my world

Yeah.

Modern devices need a secure area to store encryption keys and other really sensitive information, such as biometric information (fingerprints, faces) for device unlock and such.

Apple has Secure Enclave on iPhones and Macs. PCs have TPM, or PTT as Intel calls it. My low-end ASUS mobo has a TPM SPI header, so I bought a TPM SPI module that plugs right in. But modern CPUs will also have virtual TPMs.

I imagine if you do not have TPM then you can still run Windows like you do today, you just can’t take advantage of all the security features.

Satya giveth and Satya taketh away.

Not allowing the taskbar to be moved to the sides of the screen is gonna piss off a LOT of people too.

It will be interesting to see what they do. Yes, PTT has been around for a few years now, but I imagine a number of systems don’t have it as an option in the bios. I’m not sure when AMD started shipping with their fTPM, but I think I’ve had the little nuc like system with one for a couple of years now for debugging an issue that was being seen upstream with them and the linux drivers. I guess this new system I just got from NZXT has the option in the bios, so I need to flip that on at some point. Sitting in here is little amd nuc system with their solution, an intel nuc with ptt, another intel nuc with a discrete tpm from STMicroelectronics I think, and then an older Lenovo D30 that I’d been keeping around because it has a 1.2 tpm device in it. Luckily I get to hand off responsibility for TPM to another team in the next couple of months so I can clean up my office.

The new version is materially worse than the old version, what’s not to understand?

Brad at Stardock will no doubt be ready to pounce.

great

Which of those icons is the one I click to make them into words again?

That’s easy… cut, copy, paste, windscreen wiper your file, get it to come out of the computer screen at you, delete, send your file up and down simultaneously, and 4 line mode.