Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty - Nioh 3 Kingdoms

Restarting my computer allowed me to get past character creation. But you should definitely play Hi-Fi Rush.

For PC Game Pass subscribers, the demo is on the Windows App Store, rather than the Xbox App.

I got in and died repeatedly due to the Nioh dodge button becoming the jump button…

Black screen crash has been solved.

I had an old Citrix display adapter from a work VPN thing from years ago. Uninstalled and now I can play the demo on PC.

The character creator may be even more ridiculous in this one. Did Nioh 2 have a “tear trough depth” slider???

Ohmuhgerd this is just chefs kiss. I’m going to be so bad at the parry but I don’t care.

After coming from Wild Hearts, playing the Wo Long demo with DLSS enabled was just pure butter. It felt so good to play.

Cannot wait for the 3rd!!!

HypeThrusters

This felt noticeably more manageable than Sekiro (which I have not yet completed) but still very difficult during the boss fights. I’m glad I tried the demo because I can safely put this one on hold, as I have no desire to play it right now, as compared to doing NG+ on Nioh 2 or trying out Stranger of Paradise or whatever its called. Seems like it’s gonna be a good time though.

The first boss is pretty challenging, especially if the tutorial glitches out (or you don’t see the message on the side of the screen) and you don’t realize there’s a way to end the fight early for story purposes. The other bosses are easier.

I did not see that. You mean the guy with the pineapple mace? I got to his second stage but died. I’m on Xbox and haven’t played much yet because I let my girlfriend play Hogwarts there.

I did not realize that. I got him down to 10% in stage 2 a few times but kept screwing up – I’ve been playing Wild Hearts the past couple weekends so my timing is completely off. Then I popped my guardian (or whatever it’s called) ability as I just remembered it was a thing and suddenly the fight ended. Hah!

Yeah the blindfold boy says to “use the jade” and I had no idea what he was talking about. It’s Y+B or triangle + circle once he gets below 50% health in phase 2.

I was watching on Twitch the first night and so many people were struggling or confused. Had to do some backseat gaming on that one.

Anyway, it’s a tough but fun fight. Worth going back to play again. So much fun to sit there and parry him.

Ahhh! I heard the jade audio but had no idea what it was referring to. I looked around for an object or area that looked like jade but didn’t see anything and didn’t have much time with the boss attacking. Didn’t think much of it beyond that.

To be fair, i habitually skip all cutscenes in games so if it was explained in one of those I would have missed it for the reason.

In any case, the fight was good and if I didn’t have to unlearn muscle memory and timing on iframes I would have had the jerk the old fashioned way. Getting him down to under 10% a few times is good enough for me.

Looking forward to release! I’ve beat the second boss and don’t know how much further the demo goes but I’ll probably just stop there and wait for Friday.

I see they have DLC planned. I guess I need to decide if I’m going to play on March 3rd, or wait for all the DLC to be released first. Damn… Easier when I didn’t have the choice for Nioh 1/2 since I’m on PC.

It’s probably the same expansion pack style as Nioh. Just stop playing at the end of any playthrough and you’ll be ready to resume the DLC when it comes out.

The bigger question is whether the final PC build is playable.

I hear some preliminary reports that it runs fine, but the demo ran fine for the reviewer in question, so YMMV. Review embargo is set for one day before release - so, Thursday the 2nd - so people can wait for reviews before buying/preordering.

I don’t mind buying and refunding if necessary. The real question is whether I’d buy it on PS5 day one and buy it again on PC later once it’s fixed.

I’ve done that for their other games but that would be pretty bad if I had to do it for a game with same day PC release, hah.

I noticed the demo for this has the same Nioh 2 bug I had with ultrawide monitors, where the sides of my screen would get cut off. I don’t just mean the resolution was wrong and I had black bars but otherwise was fine. I mean the black bars are actually obscuring parts of the screen and UI, where I can’t see my health, equipped spells, etc.

Took me a minute to remember how to fix it, but if you bring up the Camera (where you can take screenshots of your character and such) it will do the trick.

As an aside, I have no idea how to leave a multiplayer game session? “Return to menu” was greyed out and I didn’t see a way of doing so from a shrine/flag/whatever. I ended up having to alt-F4, which likely means I lost my progress but no big deal when it’s early game.

Maybe an item? I know there’s an item to dismiss summons that you get in mission 2. You can play the mission without the NPC that way.

Oh good idea, I forgot about that Dark Soulsy way of doing things. I should check my inventory to see if I have something that’ll do the trick.

Speaking of that “jade” item that also went over my head, whats with the little orange gem the boss eats to power up… Isn’t that the major macguffin in Nioh 2? Is the Niohverse real??

It’s pretty much the same story and everything. Team Ninja is really cranking stuff out. There’s no time for original ideas!