Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem - ARPG, CryEngine

Oh, I need to look for that. So much of the wheel I haven’t dug through yet.

I did pretty well until about 25% left of phase 2. Might have to equip a teleport. Could also respec to get that dodge roll node

I actually hadn’t spotted that talent node, but that’s probably my only option on my 2h build. I think the only other one is the winged spear leap which has a decent cool down and it’s damage and rage generated so it’s hard to save for pure maneuvering.

Forgot to mention, I wasn’t sure in phase two what I had to do to damage the boss. Is it hitting adds or the boss itself?

That’s the other annoying thing. It’s not telegraphed very well, but you definitely have to hit the boss. It’s just really hard to tell when you are without staring at the health bar (which is detrimental) AND there’s are brief periods when it seems invulnerable.

Just kind of a shit fight currently imo. Could be fine with some tweaks, but it’s pretty awful right now.

Wasn’t too bad withg my fireball mage. 3rd phase AOE ring of fire was a bit annoying and I used all three second wind tokens during the fight, but beat him first time. That said, I have points in Toughness to ensure decent health pool, while maintaining good DPS and a selection of CC and regen skills.

D3 handheld you, especially newbies and while elective mode is disabled. It pretty much forces you to select utility as well as damage skills as you level.

POE drives this into you like a sledgehammer - ignore damage mitigation or movement abilities at your peril.

Wolcen is somewhere in the middle, at this stage and at normal difficulty, but it’s not surprising that boss fights up the ante, both mechanically and with incoming damage.

With free reign on skill selection comes the necessity to identify the key skills a successful build ususally needs:

DPS
Damage Mitigation
Crowd Control
Movement
Buff
Debuff

Any well rounded build should be adressing these areas and in modern ARPG’s with boss fights way more technical than they used to be, a movement skill is super important to generally avoid AOE mechanics. As mentioned above, the passive that lets you roll through enemies is nice, but if is too far to traverse to on the passive tree, it is a waste of points and a movement skill is probably the better choise, since you should probably be using one anyway.

If you dodge roll towards it, it will avoid all the damage. Not sure if you knew this and were doing it already, but just wanted to comment because I know a lot of people are struggling with that boss.

Ah, only thing I didn’t try, shoud have realised the dodge roll had invincibility frames! I ended up having enough life pool to tank it as long as I was not carrying damage, so popped my AOE heal just prior.

Beat act 2 boss on second try. The dodge roll helped. I think I would have gotten through without a death of I hadn’t forgot to use the shroud that gives me stamina back. That’s the most epic fight I’ve ever seen in an aRPG.

The other tip I have is to understand the rectangular areas on the sides become safe again much more quickly than the middle during that phase, so don’t go to the middle.

Not as important, but I’m phase 1, you can shoot the incubators early, then go back to focusing Lambach for a few seconds

Some of it felt like a bug. For example, he does this one leap that on landing creates a four-way projectile and the hit interval on it is so short that if I was moving away or standing still it’d hit me so many times that I’d die no matter how much health I had. I certainly wasn’t maintaining defenses the way I would if the game had been harder to that point, but it still felt like somebody forgot to put a hit delay in.

Playing online it also seemed like a couple attacks had networking issues where the position wasn’t synchronized correctly. Nothing terrible once I got used to it but it definitely follows along with the game lacking a bit of polish generally.

Regardless, certainly would have preferred they moved a bit of the difficulty off the boss fight and into the rest of the game, but so far it isn’t so easy that it has damaged the fun.

Well, this game ending at Act III is 100% exactly as satisfying as Diablo II or III ending at the end of Act III would have been. Just beat Mephisto? Well, the portal to hell opens and, cut to credits. Defeated Azmodan? Well, sorry to say that it’s too late, Diablo is blowing heaven up. Cut to credits.

I don’t begrudge DLC. I often love it. But leaving the actual ending for a DLC seems shady to me.

The last guy was pretty mysteriously easy compared to the others. Guess it’s time to check out what the endgame content is, though I’m not going in hopeful with that ending.

Like the endings of those games were that satisfying? Maybe act 2 boss was just too hard to follow, lol

I mean the story of all these games is something a highschooler wrote for their D&D campaign, I get it. But at least tell me the end of the stupid thing since I sat through all those cutscenes.

I ran into that vendor in the wild and he was offering the 2H unique sword that lets you use lightning spells… even though I have no idea what I’ll do with it, I had to grab it just because it seemed like an interesting weapon (it was around 17k gold I think). I wonder if it lets you use non-lightning spells that are modified such that their type is changed to lightning… that would be pretty interesting (not that this would be a useful thing to do, but I believe you can tweak the poison golem to be a lightning mage).

My understanding is that it does.

In that case I got to start researching my lightning spells!

I’m trying a pure mage build. Using the staff to get some willpower back. But it feels like I’m always running out of willpower. I’m using annihilation and It works really well for now.

I’ve got some willpower regen on some gear, some attack speed to hit more often to gain willpower. I also have the +20 willpower on hit. But that little pause in between beam to regain power breaks my murdering spree.

Not sure if I can do anything else to regen faster. Any tips?

And many people mention loot. I got 2 staff from drops and 1 from the shop since I started. It doesn’t feel good.

I’m running a pure caster as well, I’d suggest going for -willpower cost on every item slot that can carry it. Both shoulders and both gloves definitely can. Probably another slot or two but I’m not an expert. There are a bunch of skill nodes that reduce costs as well that add up.

And yes, the downside of this “classless” system in this case is that the game makes no differentiation in drops. At least Diablo 3 would drop 80-90% stuff you can use. You can and will go through long dry spells without finding a new weapon in campaign if you are married to one type, which as a spell caster you pretty much are. Check the weapon shop every time you’re in town. Cross your fingers? Do a loot dance?

The random loot god shinned his light on me tonight. Got a new staff with some add to spell damage, spell damage % and 2 offensive II socket ( for more flat damage to spell). I actually double the damage for annihilation!

With the life steal from spell and the healing seal( bullward?), I was able to face tank the act 1 boss. It felt much better then with my little gunner :)

I didn’t see any -cost on item yet, but its good to know it exist. Thanks!