Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem - ARPG, CryEngine

Any other Kickstarter backers here that still haven’t gotten a key?

No, i don’t think so - i’ve only used a staff and i have it slotted as a skill…

Yeah, you can run the spell with either a staff or catalysts but sharaleo’s statement was in the context of trying to help Kadath with his melee build.

I finished the campaign with a melee build. Pure defence, around 4000 resistances which gave me about 70%, 90% shield block at about 40% efficiency. I had two rage builders, a shout and a leap, a shield spell and two damage spells, mostly bleeding edge. It was slow and kind of boring at times but it got the job done :)

Wow, that is a LOT of tank! Nice!

I’ve been playing online a bit recently and their servers still suffer from a small amount of lag, especially when you transition into a new map or when you spawn a lot of mobs (cursed chest I’m looking at you!).

I saw a YouTube streamer who duplicated the Livor Morris spell two times and picked the “a portion of your damage is assigned to the summon” trait for all the copies. Turns out if you have three of those guys up you are effectively invulnerable. He was running 187 rifts and just afk-ing there. His damage output is abysmal but it is almost impossible to die. Pretty funny.

Noticed there was large patch on Steam recently, so I went through the game’s recent news on Steam. This RPS article sums up what the developers are going to be up to:

We initially planned to put a top priority on new league content and on the new Chapter shortly after the release of the game,” Wolcen Studio said in Friday’s announcement. “We’ve decided to swap the priority between the production of new content and bug fixing, game stabilization, quality of life, and recruitment during the next 4 months.

That sounds like a good direction for them to take, how far along does today’s patch get them to that goal? What does it do/fix/add?

Tons of bug fixes and the like but I think the main addition was a boatload of new uniques.

Based on how quickly this game faded into total obscurity, apparently I’m not the only person who found the endgame completely joyless. I keep an eye on the thread in the hopes one day they’ll Reaper of Souls this early access game masquerading as a real release into something resembling fun. The skeleton of something good is here.

Biggest problem of the endgame to me is that they don’t mix it up enough. Each tileset has the same enemy choices and elites always have to be a very specific subset, so elite affixes aren’t enough to make it feel different.

Even so, I feel like I got my money’s worth and it’s still fun to pop once in a while and run a dungeon or two. It doesn’t bother me if it never makes it into the “hundreds of hours of progression” category.

Path of Exile takes up a lot of oxygen and launched a new league which I feel like had a large effect. I think they knew this, which is why they launched right near the end of a PoE league when people were done and waiting for the next one.

Glad the game sold well, I’m interested in seeing how they build on it going forward.

Same.

I played a bit after finishing the campaign and just got bored. Especially with seemingly every random map being full of the stupid enemies that begin to attack from like 2 entire screens away.

It just had no flow to it and ended up feeling like a chore.

2 bug fix patches and some adjustments since that article. Noticed this has a mixed review status on Steam now.

What was it before? Better or worse?

Think it was mixed from just after release because the online was nonfunctional for days

The playtime on a lot of those negatives tells a story, too.

Meaning? What’s the trend?

A lot of 40, 60, 100+ hour reviews complaining about endgame variety, builds, game update rate, etc.

In other words, if you’re OK playing through the story, maybe dabbling a bit in the post game until it gets familiar and then putting it down, it’s a good (albeit not great) game. It only fails if you come in with the (admittedly common to the genre) expectation that it should provide hundreds of hours of play time.

2 patches in the works, sounds like this will be a worthy winter sale purchase, after that planned autumn content patch.