Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - The man in the high castle gets shooty

Finished the courthouse. Wow. What an aftermath.

Great! Now put Grim Dawn aside and you’ll be flying through your backlog in no time!

That was probably the most difficult spot for me. Now you get to see new stuff!

Worth it, wasn’t it? ;-)

One of the few games where some truly wacky deus ex machina stuff actually works.

There’s a couple of perk areas where it’s really hard for me to advance in this game. One is handgrenade kills, and the accompanying perk of throwing back an enemy’s handgrenade to get a kill. There’s just very few handgrenades in the game, period. And usually I’m trying not to sound the alarm, so I only use grenades in the first place when it’s time to stop stealth and go loud. But when I go loud, I throw the two grenades I’m allowed to carry, and that’s it for the rest of the level usually.

The other area where I haven’t made any progress is electrocuting enemies and killing them while they’re shocked. How do I do this again? When I use my cutter gun, it just kills them, and I don’t get any credit for also shocking them at the same time.

It was the same for me - I wrote off a lot of the perks once I realized the game was actually much more challenging than The New Order. I don’t even think the electrocution one is possible. You had the same approach I did - stealth the officers and if that fails, problem solve with shotguns.

This was the first game in years (!) where I needed to drop the difficulty.

I think the courtroom sequence on Death Incarnate difficulty is the hardest level of any FPS I can remember playing.

Now, there was a level a few years ago that I couldn’t finish at all, it was in a game called Call of Duty: World at War. It was at the very end where you’re assaulting the last building in Berlin while playing as the Soviets. I could play that for hours on end, and get a few soft checkpoints. But once I quit out of the game, the soft checkpoints would be gone, and I’d have to go back to the last hard checkpoint and make that progress again. And there was one soft checkpoint that i could never overcome when I was right next to the final steps leading up to the building.

So why doesn’t that count as the hardest level I’ve ever played? Well, because if Wolfenstein II had used that save system, I would have never made it through the courtroom sequence either. The truth is that I save-scummed my way through the sequence. It’s still the hardest I remember ever playing, but it was possible to get through it in a period of a month or two because of being able to save anywhere. If World At War had allowed saving anywhere, I could have gotten through that one much easier than this courtroom sequence.

P.S. Funny thing about that World At War level. I finally gave up on trying to finish that level after trying for a year or two. I dropped the difficulty down from Veteran to Hardened, and tried the level again. And I still couldn’t beat it. I got stuck on the same spot. And then I dropped the difficulty down from hardened to Normal, but then thought “seriously? You’re going to play a World War 2 Call of Duty game on Normal? What is the point of that, if the challenge is completely taken out? What are you going to see? The allies win the war over Germany? WTF? What are you even doing, playing it for the story?” So yeah, I didn’t go ahead with it on Normal, I just finally quit and never went back.

Wait, are you telling me that you were doing the courtroom scene on I Am Death Incarnate? Jeebus it was balls hard on Normal! No wonder you had so much trouble. That’s just cray.

So I remember that CoD level - it’s a good comparison (it’s also the last CoD single player I completed). I usually played on hardened, and I nearly punted the controller. That sequence and the SAS/747 bonus mission on the original Modern Warfare stick out as shooting puzzles.

I’ll echo @Papageno with you being cray for doing this on that difficulty. I was playing Doom right before this, so I was expecting something a bit more forgiving. Mayhem mode never felt like the best solution for Terror Billy.

People are forgetting Pavlov’s House.

But yeah, the Wolf 2 courtroom scene was an unexpected page of old-school difficulty.

I finally got to use the enigma machine in the game’s campaign, and went to a district to hunt an uber-commander.

Anyone who has played the game knows why this is significant. When you’re staring at the loading screen, there’s only a handful of messages the game shows you, and one repeated message is you can use the enigma machine to unlock districts where you hunt uber-commanders. So I’ve been waiting for this moment for months.

For such a well advertised feature, it was kind of disappointing. Basically all you’re doing is replaying a level that you’ve already done in the game, but they’ve seeded the level with a different configuration of enemies than were originally there.

On the bright side, I played the level completely differently than I originally did. No more stealth. I used dual weapons and brute force all the way. Lots of grenade use, lots of dual weapon crotch shots. (I don’t know why, but when I have two weapons out, I always seem to aim for crotches instead of heads).

One for each ball?

IF you kill all the Ubercommanders on the existing levels, it unlocks a semi-secret Riverside level that’s unique mainly for a Doom 3 style narrow cone of light.

I didn’t make much progress last night in terms of getting past the save point where I started. But it was still a lot of fun. Since I’ve already maxed out my objectives on thowing axes in people’s backs, and getting stealth kills and such, I’m just playing balls out, dual weapons, grenades, trying and failing to throw back enemy grenades. It’s a lot of fun.

The final piece of DLC that’s part of the season pass comes out tonight.

I’m still saving all the DLC until after I finish the main campaign.

That’s what I did. I guess it will be time to play again soon.

I haven’t found time to play The Old Blood ,yet alone start this game. So jelly of you guys and your free time.

I haven’t played The Old Blood, so there you go :-)

I haven’t gotten very far in Old Blood either. I got to Castle Wolfenstein, but got distracted by other games at that point.