Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - The man in the high castle gets shooty

Yeah I know everyone says don’t bother but I really want to play The Old Blood first. Problem is, I’m not really in the mood for The Old Blood so, oh well.

Well, it is a prequel, which is why it’s not really as relevant to Wolf2. Wolf 2 actually starts off right from the end of The New Order. Your injuries at the end of The New Order actually have a gameplay consequence! Your maximum health is 50, not 100. I thought that was a great touch to show that BJ is injured and not the same as he was in New Order.

I absolutely adored The New Order, so I was pretty let down with The Old Blood. I mean it has Castle Wolfenstein, but there’s not much humor or charm compared to the original.

I am still interested to see how the single player DLC for Wolf2 turns out though

I understand the chronology and I’ve watched a few people playing The New Colossus on Twitch and such, so it’s not due to some misunderstanding but rather a feeling of, I don’t know, responsibility to play the whole deal. That’s not the right word but it’s close enough to what I feel. And I don’t really want to play The New Colossus just yet either really, in fact I haven’t bought it yet. I just feel like I should do The Old Blood first.

I was feeling very unsettled all weekend, like I really needed to see an action movie or something. But when I tried a couple of Marvel movies, it didn’t do anything for me. Finally I fired up Wolfenstein II, and settled in, because, yes, this is exactly what I’d been craving. Dual shotguns in the face. Bam bam bam.

I finally fired this up again to tackle the season pass. Without the craziness that is the main story, this is just merely OK. I just finished the first episode of Gunslinger Joe. It looks like there is 3 episodes for each character. I’m kinda mad I played episode 0 because that borrowed content from the episode 1. I could have just spent my time playing that.

The one thing I did like is that I think the women character is voiced by the same person as Morrigan from Dragon Age Origins. I just should have started with her before I tire of this.

I finished up Gunslinger Joe today. It was OK. It just emphasized how much I liked the base game because of the story and characters because this just didn’t like up to that standard. Action was fine but felt repetitive. Environments were nothing special - felt like places I’ve been before.

Yeah, unfortunately all the reviews of the season pass were negative. The critical consensus seems to be that the levels are recycled and not as good as in the main campaign, and the story isn’t there either, so it’s not worth your time. I think I spent… I want to say an extra $12 to get the version with the Season Pass, so I’m not too upset. I’ll just stop after I finish the story.

Luckily, this is a massive game, and the main story is meaty and the levels are super satisfying to play through. Some days I’m in the mood for the silenced pistol, some days I’m in the mood for the grenade launching pistol. I love it either way.

I’m a glutton for punishment and just finished out the season pass story stuff. While I wouldn’t recommend it, it isn’t really bad or anything. I did enjoy hearing Dragon Age Morrigan as the assassin. Some of the 3rd character’s story was a bit funny with some banter. None of it was as insane as the main story and that is where it suffered.

Did anyone try the challenges? It looked like my leaderboard was empty of friends. I think if I’m included to do some shooter leaderboard stuff, it would be in DOOM.

Oh my god this game fuckin’ blows.

I picked it up after literally forgetting I was playing the damn thing back in January, then proceed to spend 10 minutes on bullshit narrative quests inside the base (go blow up this drone, talk to X, talk to Y, talk to Z), then spend 10 minutes wandering around a bunch of NYC ruins looking in vain for stuff to shoot or how to progress to the next area, and puzzling over which linear corridor hidden in this mazelike morass of wreckage is the right one. Along the way I blew away a few Nazis who presented zero meaningful combat challenge.

I couldn’t alt+f4 out of this horseshit fast enough.

I can understand that, even if that was not my experience. I found the narrative stuff pretty interesting, and didn’t really mind the restrictive shooting stuff. I never finished the previous one largely because I got bored or frustrated, so this one was a welcome change. I sort of viewed it as a half and half shooter/movie and liked it for that. I did hate the fact that I kept getting stuck on geometry because for some reason the game can’t really model really broken terrain like the ruins of New York very well. That, and the plethora of unopenable doors.

I remember that part. I think the key was to remember there’s a map, so you could see the exit from that area.

I played the game through and liked it, but the Manhattan ruins map that you mention is the worst, seriously. It’s very easy to get lost in. I got very frustrated there as well.

I’d been stuck on this area where you get into this courtyard, and a panzerhound drops down from the top of a metal container. The area also gets swamped by heavy weapon-using enemies. I walk into the area with a heavy diesel gun. I was doing that part on and off for a couple of months.

This weekend, I fired it up, and I don’t know why this never occurred to me during the last two months before, but I dropped the heavy weapon I had been using and switched to dual shotguns. Suddenly, instead of taking forever to kill the panzerhound, I was able to take it down really fast, and then take down all the enemies that followed. Duh! Dual shotguns are better than heavy weapons. Seriously. I’m not sure why that never occurred to me. Their damage over a short amount of time is much, much higher. And I don’t even have the upgrade that allows me to fire 3 rounds on the shotgun at the same time, since I feel like that will be way overkill most of the time for the shotgun.

Anyway, the next area I was stuck on for a while is one where I was riding a panzerhound. It was so tough! But again, I finally realized that the panzerhound is weak compared to dual shotguns. Heh.

No offense dude, but you don’t make this game sound like very much fun.

That’s on me then. The game itself is really fun. There’s times I can go through an area with dual silenced pistol, taking down enemies silently. Other times I can go long range with a scoped rifle. Other times dual SMGs. Other times those big heavy weapons. But yeah, towards the end here, there’s lots of big enemies that can take a lot of damage, so dual shotguns are the way to get them down fast.

I just mean that going by this thread it sounds like you bounce from one choke point to the next. It would frustrate me, though I get that that can be fun for others.

Oh yeah, I really enjoy that in a first person shooter. Otherwise I wouldn’t play on the hardest difficulty. I sort of view it as a puzzle. I know there’s a solution. There’s these puzzle pieces, this enemy here, this enemy here, these set of weapons and tools available to me, and yet, I can’t find a way through it. So I must be missing some critical element that I’m not using or maybe my skill level personally needs improving before I can get through certain choke points. I love it when a game pushes back like this.

But I do have to admit, the courtroom scene was a next level of difficulty beyond what is usually reasonable even on the hardest difficulty. But there was a narrative reason for it, so I was okay with it. Especially since I eventually got through it.

Yeah, if you are at all worried about the difficulty of the game, just play on easy. The game isn’t un-challenging on easy, and you will die if you do stupid things, but some of the sections (particularly the trial) don’t become dozens of deaths and trial and error to get through. I still died there a couple times, but figured out a good route and succeeded.

For Wolfenstein, I think of my character as the ultimate badass Nazi-killer, and playing on easy allows you to do that.

But, if you want to play it on hard, this game definitely will challenge you, if that is what you are looking for.

There’s all kinds of reasons to play any game, but for me at least I’ve never yet found the story in a shooter so compelling that I really wanted to dial down the difficulty just to see more of it. I need the mechanics of the experience to feel right to keep me coming back. Rock8man is good with the difficulty knocking him on his ass over a period of months, and that’s cool, but I’d tire of that quickly and if I felt like I needed to go to easy or tweak my style endlessly just so I could keep going I’d probably just drop the game.