Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - The man in the high castle gets shooty

Um, yeah, but it did at least give us a, well, rather unique take on things for a bit.

Okay, one thing that is bugging the hell out of me about this game: if I hit the back button, I want to see the map. Not go to the Extras menu, and navigate over three tabs to the map. Why the hell is that the default?

There’s a map…?

Hit J for all the info tabs including map, upgrades, perks, etc. I agree, the UI in this case is wonky.

But the game has a crazed Cajun commie preacher, a bad-ass Cleopatra Jones-like revolutionary, a deranged, foul-mouthed Scotsman with a Nazi mechanical arm, and a Jewish protagonist with more lives than Fritz the Cat. So I can live with the UI.

The halfway point in this game is the very best kind of madness.

I think the writing in this one is pretty good

New patch today, some fixes for AMD users and an official re-enable of the Steam overlay.

EDIT - Note the patch is in beta, so you have to opt-in.

It’s inconsistent. Sometimes you get the map directly and sometimes you don’t.

You only don’t get the map (at least on keyboard, pressing J) if there is a tutorial or item you just picked up - you press J for more details as well, and the message on the left can hover for a bit after it first appears. If you are wanting to look at the map while a message is being displayed, you’ll have to navigate to it manually from the J menu.

For me, the most perplexing thing about the UI is that weird left angle acting as a mouse pointer in the main menu.

Yeah, I find that kind of hard to use. I wonder if there is a software cursor option or something.

Man this game had some great wtf moments. They were kinda Saints Row over the top, but SR has more of these moments. I liked the combination of serious story stuff and the nuts stuff. I was also thankful that there were’t any crazy boss fights that the first game had.

This late game scene was awesome…

When Anna came diving across the scene, rolled the grenades and … you know the rest. Her screaming all covered in blood. I kept thinking, what about your baby!.

As a whole I found Wolfy 2 to be quite a bit easier than the first. There were a couple places I had to replay several times. Other than that not too many deaths.

People that like a greater action to story ratio may not like this, but this is exactly what I want from a story heavy shooter. I wouldn’t want every shooter to be like this, but if I can get a couple like this a year it would be great.

My weapons of choice were an upgraded assault rifle. Enemies were not too bullet spongy and this took down armored enemies nicely. I played on the ‘experienced gamer’ difficulty. My runner up is that laser heavy weapon. You can just drop enemies at distance nicely and slice right through the tougher armored guys.

I am thoroughly pleased with this purchase. I hope they roll out story DLC. The action was good enough, but nothing that would make the game a standout.

Two hard crashes in the 20 minutes since I installed the new Nvidia drivers. And a fair amount of that time was spent stuck on scenery and wondering why I couldn’t climb moderate slopes or fit through large gaps in rubble.

Is this the Eurojank I hear about?

I only played 2 side missions since I updated the drivers, but didn’t have any crashes or weirdness. I’ve got 16 GIG of RAM, but early on playing it I got a memory low message. I had to close my many-tabbed browser window when playing this. Two times I had a hard crash when I forgot.

There are real side missions in this game? I found one about feeding a pig, but I had no idea how to do it.
Also, what is with these engima cards? When I am on the map on the sub, it says how many enigma cards I have, so I guess there is something I am supposed to do with them somewhere.

I’m guessing you haven’t progressed far enough yet – the enigma cards are used to unlock side missions. The enigma decoder will become available after the Roswell mission and it’s aftermath.

Like Soren said, the side missions I was talking about were just ones to go assassinate UberKommanders. You learn their locations from the enigma cards. There should be some obvious dialog / message within the game once this becomes an option.

Okay, so how much longer until Wolfenstein II I come straight out?

Loved this; though it definitely felt very much like a middle chapter. I liked the conclusion, but it didn’t feel like an end as I approached it, and I was a bit surprised to see the credits roll when they did. There was a bunch of side stuff I missed because it felt like I’d have at least one more opportunity to to pursue.

I’m going to replay this of course to try out the other choice for who was saved in the last games; so I’ll have the change to check out more of the side content then.

You can keep playing after the credits - that’s when I started doing the assassination missions.

I wonder what’s going to happen when that timer on the menu ticks all of the way down.
Edit: looks like that corresponds to when the season pass becomes available.

Yeah I really hated the boss fights in the previous game, so the general absence of such tomfoolery here is welcome. It makes sense to avoid that sort of thing in a game so story and character focused, I think.

For all of the over the top moments, though, the one that sticks in my mind the most so far is the Klan guys talking casually to the Nazi patrollers on the streets of Roswell, about going to a concert or something.