Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - The man in the high castle gets shooty

If you stand around and watch them that entire conversation really goes places. Kind of funny, there.

I wrapped this up last night and 13 hours is the time I believe it took, all told. I really enjoyed it, but I wish I’d spent less time trying to unlock “perks” and just played how I wanted to (run and gun, playing like Doom) because that would have been way easier than constantly reloading when I get spotted. By the second half of the game I was just burning ammo and taking out all manner of fascinating enemy types. The locales and set pieces were excellent, the story was just crazy fun, and the characters were memorable - especially with a certain cut scene towards the end that involves a LOT of nonesense of the very best sort. Great game. I still have the side missions left to do, which I may do after all, and I have the DLC chapter coming at some point as well, here soon. I only paid $48 for it, less a $20 gift card, so I really got my investment back and then some.

“Wow.”

I got more pure enjoyment out of this game than I have out anything else this year.

Not sure which one your thinking of here because there was a lot of great stuff. I though “the dive” was pretty hilarious.

This was easily one of my favorite games of the year. So many great moments… the parade, Super Spesh’s rescue attempt, the execution and everything that followed from it, the audition, BJ’s surprise party, etc. .

I just wish there was a little more of it. The way the story was unfolding, it really felt like there’d be at least one more mission at the end. Hopefully it was done this way with the knowledge that there will be a third game on the way shortly.

EDIT: My other complaint: the menu music. The New Order had maybe my favorite menu music I’ve heard in a game. This was definitely a letdown in comparison.

Tempted to pick up the season pass at 15% off using a coupon.

I don’t know what “the dive” was per se, but the one I am referring to is the big birthday party that gets thrown at the end of the game, which contains and ends with much hilarity (and excellent character moments).

Oh yeah, that was pretty awesome!

I’m referring to when

Anya dove, rolled the grenades, ripped off her shirt / covered in blood and shot the crap out of the remaining enemies.

LOL yes, that was a fantastic send off for the game, well maybe not as satisfying as the live interview moment with the hatchet of course, but right up there.

That’s the one I was thinking of, too. Loved that moment.

I did one of my first side quests via the enigma machine last night. It seems that all they are is missions to kill some uber general guy (through a map I had already played none the less). Is that all these missions are? Do they actually affect anything? I know they said it can make an area rebel, but does this actually have any impact on the story or plot? In other words, is there any real benefit other than the sake of playing them?

You can get the other two pieces of equipment and get the collectibles. That is about it.

You mean the other gear you got the choose from? That I am interested in. Are the missions to get the other equipment special or just after you do so many of them, its unlocked?

I was really into the first game, but I feel like something’s missing in this one and I can’t quite put my finger on it. The writing is just OK, and feels pretty disjointed. The level design is a little confusing, and the guns don’t feel super satisfying.

I just met up with the NY Resistance, so hopefully it’s just the early game that has me a little cold.

The A.V. Club has been doing an interesting kind of “working” review, coming in installments as they play through. I’ve been enjoying reading along and I’ll share it here. Warning: this covers plot points, and I imagine most will want to wait to read until after you’ve played. Not me though!

…Wasn’t this the FPS with good writing?

Then why is BJ saying some embarrassingly mushy poetry to himself about angels and Caroline and being a dead man walking?
And why the game tone is all over the place, some moments being histrionically over the top, others being a badass killing nazis, and others about a depressed, nihilistic, empty inside BJ??

I don’t know the direct answer, since I haven’t played the game, but here’s an answer in the Game of the Month thread:

Youtube critic Campster had similar issues with the game’s wildly inconsistent tone.

PC Gamer posted a spoiler-filled discussion of the story and the game’s design:

I didn’t mind the shifts in tone between serious and over the top wacky, but I wasn’t a big fan of some of his inner monologue, like Caroline and the angles wings. There was so much good stuff thought that I could overlook the bits I didn’t like.

Quick aside: does anyone else get the feeling that developers are sucking with sequels lately? Deus Ex is another example that comes to mind, maybe Shadow of Mordor with the loot box shit. I don’t know. It’s just weird because 20 years ago it was usually the sequel where they hit their stride. So many of my all time favorites have a 2 next to the name.

I think I preferred this to the earlier game, so this definitely doesn’t fall into the sequel sucks category for me. Deus Ex was definitely a step backwards, but didn’t quite suck. I never though Shadow of Mordor was that great to begin with, so the sequel definitely wasn’t a day 1 purchase for me. It seems like maybe I’d get it as part of some bundle, but I definitely don’t feel a big pull to get the sequel anytime soon.