World Cup 2022

22 minutes in and thanks for playing World Cup 2022, Costa Rica.

Yeesh.

So basically Group E gonna be

Spain 3
Japan 3
Germany 0
Costa Rica 0

Die Manschafft sweating bullets and Costa Rica is looking for the gift bags.

Pity about the result for Germany, but Iā€™m rooting for them for once, because of all the teams, theyā€™re the only one that has made an actually strong statement about FIFAā€™s unconsciousable behavior:

Sevral of the players also had rainbow colors on their boots. And the German minister demonstratively sat down beside Infantino to watch the match, wearing a One Love armband.

Germany plays Spain on Sunday, and that has now become an absolute must-win for Deutschland. Because odds are Japan is going to whip Costa Rica and get to 6 points.

And right now, Spain is building a huge goal differential lead vs Costa Rica.

1-0-1 in WCā€™s vs England.

Good lord Spain, chill out. Youā€™re playing Costa Rica, not Brazil.

Only months ago, Costa Rica had home shutout wins over the US and Canada in qualifying. #CONCACAF

Yeah, Costa Rica looked at least like theyā€™d give a good show based on how they played in CONCACAF, but yikes almighty.

Already-dead GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

If Spain have decided to fire footballs into the net instead of just contenting themselves with gently kicking them around at midfield, theyā€™re going to be a handful.

I didnā€™t know Spain could play like this. They spent a half decade around the 2010s being the bane of my soccer viewing existence (not only were they boring, they were boring and excellent). Spain being fun leaves me feeling very conflicted.

Right? Boring and excellent is a great description. I was going through some of my twitter archive last week and found one I think from the 2020 Euros where I posted ā€œSpain does realize what the object of the game is right? That you donā€™t get points for completed passes, but at some point someoneā€™s expected to knock one into goal?ā€

I think this is going to be a penalty for Canada

It is and then itā€™s saved!

Canada ainā€™t afraid of Belgium.

Iā€™m Belgian. My wife is Canadian. She is currently happier than I am.

Belgium just flubbed a killer opportunity in front of goal. Dude couldnā€™t get a handle on the ball.

Yeah horrible first touch from Batshuayi and the chance was gone

That ancient Belgian defenseā€¦I thought 2018 might be the last world cup for Alderwiereld and Vertonghen, but theyā€™ve propped them up again and sent them back out in 2022.

This really does feel like Belgiumā€™s golden generation has lingered around a bit too long. This has to be their last rodeo, right?

Yep. And sadly at least as it appears now, thereā€™s not really the quality in their younger players that you get with the older players.

How is THAT not a pen for the Canadians?

OK, VAR check. I think this is going to go for a penalty.

Wow. Not given. Huh.