World Of Tanks

Maybe a 17lber but looks more like 90s or 100s; those are pretty big holes.

Probably a 75mm. 17pdr is only 76mm anyway, so its not like there would be a huge difference just looking at them.

Maybe, it’s hard to tell from the angles. But those sure look large-ish. Guess it doesn’t matter to the poor sods who were in there…

I’d imagine that only one of the holes was original, and the rest were put there in penetration testing. Four penetrating hits to nearly the same spot is wildly improbable in battle.

Still not good news for the guys inside, though.

Hmm, possible. I wonder if the museum has info on the vehicle and its fate.

short search of imperial war museum jagdpanther turned this up:

Re the Imperial war museum Jagdpanther, which I have seen personally, this vehicle originally belonged to the Schwere Panzerjäger-Abteilung 559 and was knocked-out by a Cromwell of Lieutenant WH Griffiths 2nd Armored Reconnaissance Batt. Welsh Guards in Hechtel, Belgium (Sept 1944).
This one is an early production version JagdPanther (command vehicle) and has 4 rather large penetration rounds on the right side where it was hit.

a couple other places mention it as well, ymmv…

Cool, 77mm then, if indeed those are the holes the Cromwell left.

slighter longer explanation:

This example was a Command version of the Jagdpanther, with provision for extra radios. The rippled plaster coating was applied for protection against anti-tank mines. It was knocked out by Allied gunfire in North-West Europe and brought to England for evaluation by the British Army at Chertsey. It was later maintained by the Royal Military College of Science, Shriventham and transferred to the Museum in August 1969.

In September 1944 a Cromwell tank commanded by Lieutenant W.H.Griffiths (now the Right Honourable the Lord Griffiths MC) of the 2nd Armoured Reconaissance Battalion Welsh Guards, Guards Armoured Division attacked and destroyed a Jagdpanther near Hechtel, Belgium. Firing from the rear at fifty yards range, Lieutenant Griffiths hit the engine compartment with 75mm armoured piercing rounds and immobilised it completely.

I bet that gunner had the massive crits perk ;-)

Must have been using one of those model plugins that highlights where to shoot to hit ammo/engines ;)

Yeah, definitely hax0rs.

w00t, new patch is out. the new tanks are shiny but the matchmaker tweaks are

Can you elaborate?

Barring a few exceptions tanks wont see more than a two tier spread, which is cause for much rejoicing in many areas. Mind you everyone will still cry when their tier6 is in a tier8 match, so it wont really change anything.

I’ve was in matches where people were all “man 7.5 needs to hurry up!” cause they were in a KV-1 in and the top tank was a T29. There were a few tier6’s in a match that had ONE tier9 at the top that said the same thing. Then we all pointed out that the only difference would’ve been instead of that 9 there would probably be another 8.

Funny. Nice to hear you were able to turn around the Tiger but my Tiger has the worst win ratio from all my tanks - 40%. It’s embarrassing, it looks like I was actively helping the enemy teams to win. :)

On the other hand, the next tank in that line, the Tiger 2, has one of the best win ratio - 69%, and E-75 after that has 65%. I think I got a defective Tiger or maybe I should have played a bit more on it but I couldn’t bear it.

Not counting my CW IS-7, my absolutely best tank is, quite surprisingly, AMX-13-75 with 70%. My most played tanks (about 500 fights in each), the Ferdinand and Type 59 are at 66%. My current tanks, the T20 and T28 (the TD), are at 63% and 64% respectively. Most of my tanks are above 60%, well the average is 61%.

My absolutely worst line is Soviet Heavies. The IS is at 52%, IS-3 is at 54% and IS-4 (the old tier 9 one) was at 55%. I guess I was never able to adjust to their less than impressive guns.

Played a couple three matches on 7.5. Saw a T-62A, the Tier X French TD, the ELC light tank, and a SuperPershing, but nothing else new, and no new maps. Only played a bit though.

The MM is definitely different, and tighter, which is probably a good thing. Given that the Tier IX mediums now feel decidedly meh, and the long road to the Tier Xs–coupled with the high cost of running the Tier IXs, which doesn’t seem to have changed–it seems only those willing/able to spend money to convert experience are going to be sporting the new tanks any time soon (no news there). We have people in our clan though who have been jealously hoarding experience and credits so they can get the Tier X TDs, which do seem pretty good. The E-50M, M48, and T-62A though seem, well, overshadowed by the Bat.Chat, which now seems to be the only top medium anyone wants.

Did they nerf the Tier IX mediums?

Dunno, though I’m not very good at sussing out the nuances of this stuff. I heard the Patton’s gun dispersion got whacked, so it isn’t as accurate on the move. What I am seeing, though, is that as top tanks in the medium line, the old versions were at least useful and well-regarded for certain situations. As the same tier, but now one down from the top, they’re effectively nothing more than stepping stones to the Tier Xs, which as I noted seem pretty meh besides the Bat.Chat. So after all that work to get three top tier mediums, which might have some utility to offset their obscene operating costs, I end up with several hundred thousand experience points to grind on tanks that lose money most of their matches. Joy.

Yeah, the Tier IX mediums were all nerfed, to varying degrees. The justification is that the Tier IX mediums had originally been balanced to be more like “Tier 9.5” tanks, which made sense at the time. But fixing that original problem obviously raises a new problem. Players who got their Tier IX mediums early were able to build up extra experience while being top-tier Mediums; players who come later are grinding through nerfed tier IXs that now must fight through Tier X mediums and TDs as well as Tier X heavies.

In general, WoT has this weird tendency to make grinding up trees harder over time. It’s the opposite approach from every other MMO I’ve ever seen, where difficultly of grind is slowly eroded over time so that new players have some chance to catch up to more experienced players.

On paper they eviscerated my favorite TD, the Marder. I’ll see how it actually pans out tonite. OTOH only a few hundred points to the ISU-152.