World Of Tanks

Holy crap they gutted the T-28. They replaced the 120 pen and 160 damage gun with the piece of shit from the Somua that has 60 pen and 110 damage. The SU-85 didn’t fare much better. Edit: But wtf the French T5 td still has the 165 pen 300 damage gun.

Yep the SU-85 lost the 107. I’ll be selling it soon.

But the French TD is quite tall, slow as piss and has no armor.

The SU-85 was a fricken Ninja with a bazooka.

In fairness, the t-28 was overgunned for its class - that gun was better than some t5 tanks got - and with new matchmaking, it should be ok (shrug). It always had paper thin armor and no survivability, so if you take away the one thing going for it, i dunno why anyone would keep it. I only have 2 t4’s still in my barracks, the t-28 and the PIII. I can’t explain why i like the PIII, but i do…I used to like the t-28 run and gun, but now…ya, i’ll probably shelve it.

What i find really hard to fathom is the change to the t-43. That gun (144 pen, 180 dmg iirc) is now the same as the t34-85 and is little more than a heavy t5 gun…wtf?

I am very very glad i left the t43 behind. luckily one can bypass it with kv13, which is ok, especially if armed with the 122 little derp.

Well after a few games I can say that the Marder can still kill. But it dies a lot quicker. It used to be that you’d have a chance to fire and move. But now with the loss of about 100 yards of sight, you fire once or twice and are killed before you can move.

I didn’t even try the SU-85.

The 88/56 is no way as good as the old 107.

I’m waffling back and forth on how much I want to commit to Tanks anymore. I still like the gameplay, but the prospect of treading water with my current tanks or grinding (again) to the new Tier Xs–or forking out real money to convert exp–doesn’t thrill me. I’ll probably keep premium for at least another month but with MWO coming up, I’m thinking I may be drifting off that way.

I used to think Wargaming’s F2P model was pretty solid and balanced, but I’m coming around to the opinions of some here that it’s really rather rapacious. The structure of the game, the leveling, the tech trees, and the cash/cost mechanics, as well as the cynical way gold ammo is used to bring tanks up to their actual intended utility is starting to grate on me. That, and my clan has pretty much given up on Clan Wars. We still make landings a few times a week, most weeks, but we can’t field full teams half the time and we haven’t held a territory for weeks now.

Game is still great, I’d say better than ever, for just playing random battles. I barely pay attention to “leveling”. The other day I accrued enough experience on my T44 to unlock the T54 and I didn’t even notice until I had gathered another 20k xp.

Sometimes it’s just fun to drive a tank and shoot stuff, y’know?

Also I’ve never spent money on ammo. Never felt the need. Do people actually do that for pub matches?

I will definitely move over to MWO when it comes out though.

When does MWO come out? Not that I need another game in addition to GW2 but if it comes out before I might check it out.

I am in the same boat as TheWombat and others. The matches themselves are still fun but I can’t help but notice how much I dislike the direction the game is taking overall. This constant pumping out new high tier tanks and nerfing the existing tanks to force people to grind, it turns me off big time.

As an example, the Ferdinand was probably my most favourite tank but over time it was nerfed into oblivion and what used to be an awesome pinpoint accurate gun is now just the same “meh, 50-50 if I am going to hit that guy or not” kind of deal.

This new round of nerfs and introduction of new overpowered tanks just confirms the overall trend. Tier 8 used to be a very comfortable tier, my favourite actually, where you had some respectable power and didn’t have to waste all your credits to keep playing it. And now the devs made everything in their power to make it feel like an incredible slug and force you to move up to at least tier 9 and buy a premium tank to support it. Hehe, nevermind that the best premium tanks are tier 8 as well and are really not that fun to drive anymore.

I think their business model is failing and they got themselves into a corner I am not sure they can get out of. They will have to continue adding new lines and new high tier tanks, nerf the existing tanks (like for example, E-100 that used to be a backbone of any CW team is now not needed AT ALL, I haven’t seen my clan fielding even one in the last 3 or 4 months), randomize the outcome as much as possible and maybe come up with tier 9 premiums.

Sad.

There is currently no date for either open beta or launch of MWO. However if you buy founders package before Aug 7th ($30,$60,$120 options) you can play right away.

How is it so far?

I dunno I can’t really agree with this, this latest patch has made playing in the lower tiers more fun. As for tier 8 I have been driving my M26, T44, T59, IS3 since the patch and having a grand old time. To each their own I guess. But also my playstyle is probably very different; I have a big stable of tanks from tier 5-10, all of which I drive on a regular basis. I have no trouble making credits. 2 hours of tooling around and I am usually at least 750k richer.

I assume the difficulty comes if you are playing exclusively tier 9-10? I can see that, my E-50 and E100 don’t really lose money overall but it’s true they don’t make very much after repairs and ammo costs.

Overall I think World of Tanks encourages you to diversify, and not simply always play your very best tanks all the time; and that actually improves the game overall.

How is it so far?

NDA man! I wish I could tell you how awesome it is but I can’t ;)

Well, if it’s any answer, Strider, I only poked into this thread to ask if there was anything new in 7.5 worth coming back for, as I jumped ship for MWO a few weeks ago. I still have like four months of WoT premium burning away unused, too.

It’s a Battletech derived system so you don’t have the tier system, and no matter what you are driving or packing, your weapons will always do damage if you hit with them. I don’t have a problem trying to model armor and penetration of AP shells realistically, by any means, but I think we’ve all been in the position of just getting into a new tank with no upgrades and being stuck at the bottom of the heap and maybe only being able to hurt four tanks on the other team. (maybe the new patch helped that a lot)

There are other pros and cons but I don’t want to completely disrespect the NDA.

I have mostly high tier tanks, and I don’t play the Tier Xs (or VIII arty) except in Clan Wars, and I haven’t played the IX TDs much either. I find myself playing tanks I’m leveling up, and my premiums, which is I realize contributing to my malaise. I should be playing lower tier but fun tanks, but I really am addicted to carrot and stick leveling rewards. But really, what reward is it, except an expensive to run tank that will be nerfed with the next expansion of the line…

It IS still fun mostly, but not as much as it used to be.

And as for gold rounds, I’m talking about CW. Never use them in public matches, myself. But the point is still that most Tier X tanks only come into their own in terms of pure offense if you use gold rounds–it seems designed that way, which is one reason why Clan Wars is a “rich get richer” situation. Once your clan gets several territories and can hold them, the gold rolls in, everyone gets gold to buy ammo, and you have a huge advantage over a clan trying to edge in on your land, if they aren’t equally wealthy.

Yeah, if you look at the penetration figures it’s pretty evident. You have to run gold ammo on the Tier Xs to win.

Why is that?

You only have to do that if all the opposition is doing the same. Which never happens in random. Personally, I never ever use gold in random and I am doing just fine. Most people don’t use it.

Don’t get me wrong I still play my latest tier 8 and have fun with them. But they have been nerfed significantly over time and, coupled with other combat changes, it makes playing them significantly less fun. That was my point - the game feels much less fun than what it used to be.

And another my point was about the game’s evolution, which is mostly oriented at pumping out new FOTM tier 10 tanks forcing everyone who plays CW to shell out gold for them. My CW teams today consisted almost exclusively of batchats, superpattons and t110s. Fun.

And I never said I have issues with lack of credits, you probably misunderstood me.

As for lower tier tanks, I am playing them all the time or trying to. Just recently I leveled up to t20 and t28 from the scratch and I just started the new US TD line. It’s kinda fun but it’s a lot more fun for people who kept one of those tanks and plays them all the time. Otherwise, playing with an underleveled crew adds a lot of frustration.

Oh and I will never believe in earning 750k in 2 hours unless you drive prem tanks exclusively. It’s about 15 fights, which makes it 50k of pure profit per fight. No way.

Sounds better than all 110s and IS-7s, which was the norm for most teams on maps. At least theres a chance for some variety.

As far as Tier8s they really haven’t changed that I can tell. They’re all good and fun in their own way. I mean the KV-4 just got a bunch of buffs. But to each his own.

I think the deal is for CW, where gold is pretty much required for competitive play. Randoms, not at all, I agree.