World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth

An upcoming allied race can be those guys. Fucking horde get all the cool shit. “Dinomancers” pfft.

My main is a mage, but I have a 340 tank if you guys need any help with lower mythics.

So, I see 8.1 is out, maybe? It’s hard to tell from the launcher. Anyone still playing, impressions?

It is solidly meh. The War Campaign is extended. The Darkshore WF is now live. I finished them both the first night. They put in BFA-themed Invasions, which while fun, are not the auto-level Legion invasions were. I am finding them to be a decent way of grinding out Honorbound rep, though. My horde alt is still just Honored with them.

The next raid launches January 22nd. New Allied Races don’t come until patch 8.1. I wish they were live now.

Pretty much this. Very meh. They sure don’t give you a lot of reasons to keep playing once you hit 120 and gear up a bit. They did not really improve the Azerite skills at all in 8.1 imo. They just kind of shuffled the chairs around on the deck some. They really did nothing at all to fix class issues. Just a few minor pokes here and there.

As someone who came back to the game a month ago after not playing since WotLK (9 years ago), there’s a lot of stuff that I’m very impressed with (music, art, story, rares, treasures) and a lot I’m kind of horrified at (class skills are gutted, professions are a joke now, gear is horrible, the AH is a mess).

I was actually very impressed with Legion and had a blast playing through that (except for how they ruined the artifact skills for the BFA release). I think if they had just taken what they did with Legion and improved on that, BFA would have been great. But they didn’t.

I still enjoy BFA quite a bit, although this time I am resisting the urge – so far – to level alts. I have hunters one each faction and am slowly working on getting my Horde toon going. All my alts are horde side, but I am enjoying the Ally side of this expansion more.

I am digging the whole faction conflict story line, but I don’t do any world PVP other than getting the bonus when leveling on my continent.

It’s a shit show. Worse than WoD? Maybe. I really regret buying that six-month mount. People are leaving in droves and there was no way Blizzard was going to be able to fix everything in time for 8.1. Maybe 8.2…

Allied races are due in 8.1.5 which is going to be March-ish. Which is bullshit because they’re a core feature of the expansion and they have been in the game since the expansion’s launch.

The good news is supposedly the next raid is really good.

I don’t think it is worse than WoD, but the only expansion I think is worse than WoD was Cata. People like me, who don’t blow through content fast, the expansion is fine. The patch is fine with me too. Like I said, the allied races coming in 8.1.5 is bullshit. That said, even though I have unlocked them, I don’t really have a desire to actually level them. On the other hand, if you have blown through all the content, waiting a month for a raid sucks.

Overall, I still like the game. I treat it as more like a single-player open world. There is always something I can do, even if it’s running old raids for xmogs.

I don’t really understand how Blizzard gets away with it. It feels like they ship an expansion for $40-$50 that has a lot of the content as “TODO” and “Coming Soon™”, while people pay $15/mo to wait for it.

I’m glad I hopped off that wagon a long time ago.

I like this description, Mark. I play it the same way – slowly and mostly by myself, so I never really run into dead ends as to what to do next.

The TODO content doesn’t bother me. I don’t typically level alts until after the last content patch, and I am still working through some of the base expansion. Now, granted, a lot of that is grinding rep to continue a story, but that has been an issue in several expansions.

I am probably going to start work on the allied races for the achieve and armor. I just unlocked the Dwarves and still have the Legion allied races to level. It’s a good dollars to time investment. I have probably played 100 hours since BFA launch. The closes game I have in time to that is Horizon Zero Dawn, but once I finish all the content I am done. There isn’t much else I can do. At least in WoW, I have different races and classes to play.

I liked WoD. /shrug

I don’t really RAID but I enjoy levelling alts. The Garrison mission table’s fountain of gold rewards gave me a reason to level alts and check them daily. Legion’s mission tables took a little more work but were also worth it for me.

BfA gives me almost no reason to level alts.

At least the paragon caches added in 8.1 give me a reason to do WQs on my main and the weekly reward from Island Expeditions has been improved to give you a profitable mission (mine is for 5000 gold. Others are getting missions that rewards pets or mounts from the IEs).

Yeah, I was so impressed with Legion. It was the first expansion since WotLK that I played for more than a month or two and raided in and really loved. It feels like they’ve really blown it with BfA.

That’s how I play too when I play. I do enjoy the battlegrounds, though.

I find that when I’m level-capped and have upgraded gear I begin to lose interest. I never have the best gear but the effort it takes to get that gear isn’t worth it, especially since I know it will be outmoded when the next expansion hits.

I wish I could take henchmen into the 5-mans and run them. That would be fun. I will do those with other players but they are always speed runs. If you want to stop and look at something you get separated from the group. There isn’t really even time to skin kills the groups move so fast.

Legion was damn near perfect. The class halls, class mounts, artifact appearances, etc,. really made leveling alts worth it,

I stopped playing at the mid to end of WoD, and came back at something like 7.3 in Legion. Had a blast, and had missed the game terribly. All the class specific stuff was bonkers cool, and I spazzed out getting my old alts leveled up at least to see some of the class hall stuff.

Unsubbed last week.

I can’t really say it is directly because of BfA. I’m pretty casual, so not hurt by lack of high-end end-game stuff. I’m actually somewhat curious if my problem was I came back to Legion when everything was unlocked and available - whatever I wanted to do, I was free to have at it. Now, certain things are time-gated and I internally feel ‘trapped’ (not like I’ve done everything that is already unlocked - so it is in my head). I’m always looking ahead to what comes in the ‘next’ patch (which are pretty far apart it feels).

I think I’ve also soured a bit on ActiBlizzard. Their PR is not exactly stellar of late, and I seem to be overly swayed by external news. Why does them going all-out mobile, effectively bailing on HOTS, etc., affect WoW at all? I don’t know. Not rational in any way. Yet, I’m still unsubbed (for now). I suspect I’ll pick it up again as it nears the final patch cycle, especially if there are good vibes around it.

Anyone here have a guild on the Fenris server by any chance?

Does Qt3 happen to have a decently active Alliance guild on ANY servers? Preferably a medium population server? My wife and daughter and I are looking to start the game up again, doing a 1-120 run, but the Guild we were in before is pretty much dead.

I’m in Shattered Fates on Medivh. Med to high pop server and SF is the largest guild. We have four alt guilds connected via Greenwall, and three raid teams. We have a WoW MVP and Doubleagent has a char in the guild.

Would you be welcoming of a non-raiding old man Dad, a super busy Mom that was a hardcore raider 10 years ago but now has almost no free time and just wants to level up and do dungeons, and our daughter? My wife has an old, dead Guild that she’s a part of that she has emotional attachment to so I don’t know if she’ll let us switch, but I miss having an active, helpful Guild.