World of Warcraft Classic

It’s so creepy… but after only playing a bit I have a feeling this might end up being my GOTY. Lots of nostalgia for now, sure. But… I just like playing it a lot. It’s the gameplay’s rythym: so soothing, so familar, so satisfying. And it’s very nice to look at, to listen to. Things to discover. Like rereading a favorite book.

Will it have Karazhan one day? Oh my…really playing this, what am I in for?

Has there been any hint at all of them possibly doing progression servers in the future? Or I guess it depends on how vanilla goes?

It’s Blizzard, they won’t say shit for at least a year.

You’ll know after 3 months. If the population doesn’t crater, they’ll do it. If not, not.

Blizzard infamously has a problem where they can’t release WoW expansions fast enough. Progression servers allow them to add another major WoW release yearly. And it’s all systems work, because all the content already exists.

It certainly seems likely that they’ll move on to BC and Wrath, assuming the population doesn’t crater. Classic gives Blizzard a nice way to smooth out the ups and downs of subs during and between expansions.

And lets them, you know, release good content.

I will be playing horde, Undead Warlock and Orc hunter, on whatever RP-PvP server they put up. I grew up on the Venture Co. NA, became a forum personality and ended up raiding 40 mans there. Was the best MMO community I’ve ever experienced. Something about the combination of RP and PvP brought all people and factions together.

I didnt play WoW much the first time around. Had been playing mmorpgs since asherons call and wow just wasnt bringing anything new at that time.

Now there arent any old style mmos at all, so im up for some classic. The guild ive been with for almost 20yrs had a strong wow presence, and many are going to play classic, so im going to give it a whirl, basically for the first time.

Looks like alliance on mankrik, so give me a shout if pve, alliance, and a veteran guild are appealing.

So any word on servers to avoid due to streaming/etc? We don’t have to lock ourselves based on our name reservations this week, but it is time to tighten up our planning.

It sounds like there’s no consensus on Alliance vs. Horde so maybe we will just each choose and end up with multiple groups?

Maybe if everyone who plans on playing and is interested in playing with other Qt3ers posts here we can compile a list. Count me in.

I’m in, at least for a couple of months. I’ll be playing Alliance-side, because Alliance 4 Lyfe.

Name reservations open today at 3PST.

looks you up and down, spits on the floor :)
Horde For The Win!
Playing on the only RP server - Bloodsail Buccaneers I think.

The only thing the streamers have announced is that they will definitely NOT be playing on Fairbanks (PVP West) or Thalnos (PVP East). There’s no word yet as to where they’ll be playing, but I think all the big streamers are planning to play on the same server, and it will almost certainly be a PVP server. There’s speculation that it’s going to be Herod, but it’s only speculation.

The potential issue with Thalnos is that apparently the South American community has been talking about playing on Thalnos. There’s nothing wrong with SA players, mind you, but because they tend to take over the server, unless you speak Spanish, you’re going to have a rough time. But I’m sure there will still be plenty of English speaking players there too, especially since there won’t be as many servers for classic as there are for retail.

I wonder if we will see the return of gold farmers? I remember some spots were farmed constantly.

Streamer server update: https://twitter.com/Sodapoppintv/status/1160989394515480576

Looks like many of them are playing on Faerlina, but Asmongold still hasn’t said whether he’s playing there or not (and honestly, it’s mostly him and his followers I’d like to avoid most). But I’d be surprised if he doesn’t end up on that server as well.

So, since most of us here prefer non-PvP, we don’t have to worry about the streamers?

I’m not sure where the bulk of our population lies, globally speaking - do we care about East v West?

You can count on it.

For sure, if it’s popular. It will certainly have a couple hundred thousand players for a time. I have no clue how long that period will be, but it will exist.

I have generally found RP servers to have a slightly better atmosphere in MMO’s. In WoW Classic, ‘RP’ just means your name can’t be an obvious anachronism or overly offensive, and you should be nice to the folks who actually RP.

It also looks like none of the big streamers are going RP, so there’s that to consider :)